Italy reopening

Good to see that they are starting to open things up.  While the death rate is troubling and good to see it is falling; the dropping of the infection rate as we continue to return to normal is of the greatest interest. 

Here in my part of the world they have really ramped up the testing.  They have begun offering testing for people without symptoms and without doctors orders and the turn around for test results have been greatly reduced.  Several weeks ago the turnaround for results was 5 days or more; this week my mother had to take the test because she had to have a procedure done at the hospital and her test came back in a day.

If the infection rate drops to less that 1%, perhaps we can really feel like cruising will return and the ports start opening.

Yes, every country is balancing the risk reward of opening. If you are in the high risk, I would say you are definitely not out of danger. Low risk, lets get back to business. It is a fine line, more elderly, high risk people will die but it will allow the majority a resumption of semi normal life. That is why cruising is an individual choice when it resumes. 

20 minutes ago, strathcona said:

Yes, every country is balancing the risk reward of opening. If you are in the high risk, I would say you are definitely not out of danger. Low risk, lets get back to business. It is a fine line, more elderly, high risk people will die but it will allow the majority a resumption of semi normal life. That is why cruising is an individual choice when it resumes. 

Well said.  Absolutely agree.  I'm not in a rush to get to Italy and I'm in a low risk category but I completely understand the balancing act all of us will have to consider as we open up the world.

Kinda surprised at this announcement though.  

I read in a previous BBC article that Italy was thinking of controlling who is allowed into the county in phases.  Other European countries would be allowed in before North America and Asia.  I didn't see any mention of this in the article.  Anyone hearing anything about timing for the US of are they now saying everyone can enter on the same timing?

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/05/16/italy-will-open-its-borders-with-the-eu-on-june-the-3rd-without-quarantine-spain-and-france-considering-options/

There was an earlier report that Italy would open up to Schengen countries in June. No mention of US or other countries.  Talks on going with Spain and other countries. I am also a little surprised...

Edited by dutchclogs
  • Like 1

https://www.thelocal.it/20200516/italy-to-reopen-borders-for-tourists-in-early-june

"But on Wednesday, the EU set out plans for a phased restart of summer travel, urging member states to reopen its internal borders, while recommending that external borders remain shut for most travel until at least the middle of June.

In a press release, Italy's government did not explicitly state which foreign nationals would be allowed to enter, but said its new measures respected the "legal order of the European Union".

Beginning on June 3, visitors within the Schengen zone will be allowed to enter Italy with no obligation to self-isolate. Italians will also be able to move between regions, though local authorities can limit travel if infections spike."

• Like 1

There is a lot of preasure as for countries such as Italy, Spain and Greece the annual tourism is significant to their economy. Hence if it wil somehow be possible to allow tourism into these countries even it it's only from July or August with social distancing measures in place it will happen. To simplify things a soluton is anticipated to apply for all Shengen countries given the rates of new infections remains low. What will happen with tourism from North America and or Asia will depend, however I guess Asian tourists will be let in first without quaranteen requirements before the ones from North America where August will be the earliest if numbers will drastically go down as of June but at current levels especially the USA it might only be Autumn ar earliest.

Had Rhapsody OTS booked for June 10 2020 out of Venice. Canceled both the Delta air from Detroit to Venice and the cruise. 

Received total refunds on our credit card for cruise and air fare within 2 days. TA for cruise. Self air booking.

No problems on either refund. Consider myself very lucky. 

Now to wait out Nov 2020 on the Oasis and Allure. Will these two cruises go to the Caribbean ?

Happy CRUISING whenever it resumes. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, strathcona said:

I think it is safe to say that European cruise from Italy, UK, and Northern Europe will likely all be cancel this year. Seem the summer price are high for next year compare to the Caribbean. 

Oh really?

European cruises have always generally been expensive than in the Caribbean.  Or is perception that  comparing this year to next year pricing, European cruises have increased more proportionally than Caribbean?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dutchclogs said:

European cruises have always generally been expensive than in the Caribbean.  Or is perception that  comparing this year to next year pricing, European cruises have increased more proportionally than Caribbean?

They have, but we love the cruises from Europe. We moved ours to next year, this one will be out of Amsterdam. When we switched it was a $45 increase in taxes but that doesn't really bother us.