The Value of FCC

TC, our streak of agreeing has been broken but that won’t prevent it from happening again. I don’t see a customer booking a cruise with the possibility of taking a 125% FCC as taking advantage of Regent. They are taking a risk that whatever cruise they booked will happen and they might be stuck with a less than normal pre virus experience. They are also committing $’s to Regent which is what Regent wants and needs right now. One could argue that Regent is trying to make a gain off their customers by delaying refunds and holding that cash for an abnormal (historically)  time. That cash, in the millions of dollars, is of Tremendous value to Regent. Regent could easily stop this practice if they would wait list all of the cruises that they know aren’t going to occur. I would gladly have a beer with anyone on these message boards. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Here's another question...somewhat related.

Suppose you have a 2021 cruise booked. Regent cancelled a 2020 voyage so "X" amount of FCCs were applied to the 2021 booking.  The rest of the 2021 cruise was paid with a credit card.  Suppose Regent cancels the 2021 cruise - will they refund the amount paid by credit card & then allow the "X" amount of FCCs to be used on a different/future cruise?

I believe the FCC will be carried forward to another cruise.

On 5/18/2020 at 9:44 AM, mrlevin said:

There is a strange quirk with the new Return with Regent policy; you are allowed to cancel 15 days before sailing for all sailings through 31 December 2022 IF you have booked between 18 May and 31 July 2020; what about those of us already booked?  The 48 hour cancellation seems to expire 31 December 2020; is there a Catch-22 in the middle?

Marc

As I read it I think Regent Assurance applies for all cruises through 2022. the ability to book at 50% reduced deposit and $1000 onboard credit is only for May through July

4 minutes ago, Sharle said:

As I read it I think Regent Assurance applies for all cruises through 2022. the ability to book at 50% reduced deposit and $1000 onboard credit is only for May through July

So explain this quote from FAQ:

For reservations made with our Return with Regent offer between May 18 and July 31, 2020, guests who have paid in full have the option to cancel up to 15* days prior to departure date and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

For all existing and new reservations made before May 18, 2020 on voyages embarking on or before December 31, 2020, guests who have paid in full have the option to cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure date and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

So, if my currently booked cruises are after 31 December 2020 it doesn't look like there is any protection.  I am sure this is just a mistake and will be fixed over time.

Marc

24 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

TC, our streak of agreeing has been broken but that won’t prevent it from happening again. I don’t see a customer booking a cruise with the possibility of taking a 125% FCC as taking advantage of Regent. They are taking a risk that whatever cruise they booked will happen and they might be stuck with a less than normal pre virus experience. They are also committing $’s to Regent which is what Regent wants and needs right now. One could argue that Regent is trying to make a gain off their customers by delaying refunds and holding that cash for an abnormal (historically)  time. That cash, in the millions of dollars, is of Tremendous value to Regent. Regent could easily stop this practice if they would wait list all of the cruises that they know aren’t going to occur. I would gladly have a beer with anyone on these message boards. 

I think that we do agree that if someone books a cruise in the hopes that it will be cancelled sot they will be able get the 125% FCC's,, it is wrong.  This is the "game" that I believe that posters were referring to.  

Agree that Regent is making money off of our FCC's and is likely delaying their refunds.  I wonder if Regent has access to their money (the "new" money) yet.  I do not think that they are playing games but rather are trying to stay afloat.  I could be wrong.  

I would (and have) had drinks with many people on the Regent board.  However, there are some people that I would not have a drink with under any circumstances (you are not amongst that group).  There are some posters that we have had differences of opinions with with for years and I respect them (and some are friends).  They are the ones that debate the issues - as you have done in your post.

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Haha 2

I think that we do agree that if someone books a cruise in the hopes that it will be cancelled sot they will be able get the 125% FCC's,, it is wrong.  This is the "game" that I believe that posters were referring to.  

TC, I don't agree with you on this one. As long as Regent allows it, which they do, I don't blame anyone for taking advantage of what is essentially a future discount. Why not get a better price (via the discount)? Everyone wins. Regent gets or keeps a future booking and the customer gets a discount. Regent purposely provided this incentive to encourage people to cruise with them during a period that will likely keep many people from even considering a cruise.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, pappy1022 said:

TC, I don't agree with you on this one. As long as Regent allows it, which they do, I don't blame anyone for taking advantage of what is essentially a future discount. Why not get a better price (via the discount)? Everyone wins. Regent gets or keeps a future booking and the customer gets a discount. Regent purposely provided this incentive to encourage people to cruise with them during a period that will likely keep many people from even considering a cruise.

You have definitely given me something to think about.  

Kwaj girl, I believe that your FCCs from a cancelled cruise must be used for a NEW booking, not for an existing booking.  That restriction did briefly disappear at one point, but quickly returned. 

If people are successfully applying them to existing bookings, this would be of great interest to me, since I do currently have two bookings and expect the first will most likely be cancelled.

20 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Kwaj girl, I believe that your FCCs from a cancelled cruise must be used for a NEW booking, not for an existing booking.  That restriction did briefly disappear at one point, but quickly returned. 

If people are successfully applying them to existing bookings, this would be of great interest to me, since I do currently have two bookings and expect the first will most likely be cancelled.

From Randall Soy today - same policy that applied to my Regent-cancelled booking with regards to how you can use FCCs:

All affected travel partners with clients on voyages impacted by our temporary suspension of operations will be contacted by our Reservations team. Affected travelers with paid-in-full bookings will automatically receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit and a Bonus 25% Future Cruise Credit. These Future Cruise Credits are valid for one year from issue date and applicable toward all voyages through December 31, 2022. Clients taking the automatic Future Cruise Credits will also receive full Seven Seas Society loyalty night credit for their suspended voyage. Clients who prefer a 100% refund must complete a refund request form by June 3, 2020 and the refund will be processed within 90 days. If clients chose to cancel their booking prior to our announced suspension of voyages, then the policy in place at the time of their cancellation will prevail. We will not be making any exceptions to the policies enforced on previously canceled bookings and appreciate your understanding in this regard.

Edited by Kwaj girl

40 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

From Randall Soy today - same policy that applied to my Regent-cancelled booking with regards to how you can use FCCs:

All affected travel partners with clients on voyages impacted by our temporary suspension of operations will be contacted by our Reservations team. Affected travelers with paid-in-full bookings will automatically receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit and a Bonus 25% Future Cruise Credit. These Future Cruise Credits are valid for one year from issue date and applicable toward all voyages through December 31, 2022. Clients taking the automatic Future Cruise Credits will also receive full Seven Seas Society loyalty night credit for their suspended voyage. Clients who prefer a 100% refund must complete a refund request form by June 3, 2020 and the refund will be processed within 90 days. If clients chose to cancel their booking prior to our announced suspension of voyages, then the policy in place at the time of their cancellation will prevail. We will not be making any exceptions to the policies enforced on previously canceled bookings and appreciate your understanding in this regard.

I like this better.  I have been very confused by their frequent (but not always) inclusion of the requirement to use it on a new booking.  It sounds like they took it out again?  But it may not apply to FCCs received before this announcement.

Another uncertainty, if you only use part of it, they have never made it clear to me if the remainder is good for one year from the original issue or one year from the date the remainder is re-issued.  I am going to bypass the FCCs (except for the admin penalty), and move my deposit to a booking I already have next year before final payment is due.  That way it will retain its full status as a "cash" payment.

26 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

I like this better.  I have been very confused by their frequent (but not always) inclusion of the requirement to use it on a new booking.  It sounds like they took it out again?  But it may not apply to FCCs received before this announcement.

Another uncertainty, if you only use part of it, they have never made it clear to me if the remainder is good for one year from the original issue or one year from the date the remainder is re-issued.  I am going to bypass the FCCs (except for the admin penalty), and move my deposit to a booking I already have next year before final payment is due.  That way it will retain its full status as a "cash" payment.

As far as I know, Regent has been consistent on the issue of the use of FCC’s. There are two possibilities:

1. The cruise is canceled by the passenger pursuant to the Regent Reassurance program. In this case the FCC may only be used to book a new cruise.

2. Regent cancels the cruise due to their voluntary suspension of cruises through July 30. In this case the FCC maybe used for either previously booked or new cruises. The FCC may be applied to multiple cruises if desired.

I think the confusion may have arisen because posters are not always specific about the reason for the cancellation.

Dave

• Thanks 2

On 5/18/2020 at 1:46 AM, Belfast Taxman said:

We expect our August Stockholm to Southampton cruise to be cancelled soon. 

Regent will then offer us a long wait on the 100% refund or 125% FCC.

What could we do with the FCC? Well, perhaps the most obvious thing we could do is try and replicate the cruise we had already booked, and indeed we very nearly can. On 25 July 2021 there is almost exactly the same cruise. There are just two differences, firstly Splendor instead of Explorer, secondly the port in Latvia is not Riga (unfortunately).

There is a third difference, the price. For the same cabin we had booked, a D Concierge, there would be an additional £2,400 each which equates to a rise of 130%.

The wait for the refund is looking the more attractive especially given the practical consequences of whatever precise new regulations will be in force, none of which would appear to enhance the “luxury” of the overall experience.

I would have expected Regent to ensure that passengers having to use FCC would not be financially disadvantaged as well. Perhaps they may discount the price accordingly. Would welcome any confirmation that this has happened

Our June cruise was cancelled. We opted for the cash refund.

A week later we got an email from Regent trying to talk us out of it.

They did a cruise cabin match. Find a comparable cruise & same category and they will not charge you anymore if the next cruise is more expensive. They would then take 100% of your 125% FCC as payment in full no matter the real cost. The extra 25% of your FCC is good for 2 years. Seemed like a good deal for us so we took it.

We found a comparable cruise for next year on a different ship that was more expensive. The original ship only had one F category & the new ship an F1 & F2. They gave us the better, F1.

I started a thread the other day as our cruise appeared to be 'lost'. Regent had 'technical' problems & all seems OK again.

That extra 25% of FCC is quite a chunk for us.

Sounds like this might work for your situation.

Now, if only they do not go bankrupt     :O)

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 6:12 AM, flossie009 said:

Are FCCs covered by ATOL/ABTA guarantees? Probably not

Been following a thread with Azamara on this exact subject.  Seems the guarantees you mentioned cannot include any bonuses like the 25% FCC's so people are concerned about the credits not being split to 100$ and then the additional 25$ to assure full coverage of the 100%.  The question was asked thru the Aaamara blogger in mid April who has said the question has gotten to senior management but, here at the almost end of May no response from Azamara has been received.

So based on that disussion if the FCC is not broken into two pieces 100% and the bonus 25% no ATOL/ABTA coverage.  Do not know if Regent would issue separate certificates but, the experience of the Azamara loyalists is extremely disheartening as they mull over taking the refund or the FCC.

Also, based on reports here and other cruise lines while the 25% bonus sounds like a winner, it appears that cruise prices are currently increasing in the next year or two by more than the 25% bonus so it is helping the cruise lines manage their cash flow as well as getting the 25% back with higher fares so not in all cases a win for the customer.

• Like 1

I don't think they will until they see good booking numbers. Their #1 priority has to be getting a few successful cruises under their belts. I doubt they care about profitability for the first few months. 

• Like 1

We took the FCC and think that it represented good value for us. We used the FCC to book a cruise this Fall which it now seems is unlikely to sail. The new cruise was more expensive (longer duration) than the original cruise and so necessitated an additional payment at the beginning of this month which we have paid. I'm wondering how Regent will deal with this if/when they cancel, ie will we get a FCC - 100% or 125%, or the choice of a refund. We're pretty relaxed about it either way but are interested to know what they will offer.

1 hour ago, DaisyUK said:

We took the FCC and think that it represented good value for us. We used the FCC to book a cruise this Fall which it now seems is unlikely to sail. The new cruise was more expensive (longer duration) than the original cruise and so necessitated an additional payment at the beginning of this month which we have paid. I'm wondering how Regent will deal with this if/when they cancel, ie will we get a FCC - 100% or 125%, or the choice of a refund. We're pretty relaxed about it either way but are interested to know what they will offer.

I am not in the same position, but I could be in the foreseeable future.  So I am very interested to hear how they handle this, as I am sure are many others.  Please let us know what happens, even though it might be different in the UK and the US.

Edited by SusieQft

2 hours ago, SusieQft said:

I am not in the same position, but I could be in the foreseeable future.  So I am very interested to hear how they handle this, as I am sure are many others.  Please let us know what happens, even though it might be different in the UK and the US.

I will indeed. This particular cruise was booked in the UK, although I do usually book in the US.

• Thanks 1

On 5/19/2020 at 4:16 PM, mrlevin said:

So explain this quote from FAQ:

So, if my currently booked cruises are after 31 December 2020 it doesn't look like there is any protection.  I am sure this is just a mistake and will be fixed over time.

Marc

Hi Marc

Just had a call from Regent UK as we have the same issue.

At the moment it is as it stands Reassurance program terminates end of this year. However it will be extended if conditions prevent cruising.

Second bit is UK specific at least I think it is. Our final payment is October, currently the way the Reassurance program is written is that we would lose the air credit if we decided to take the FCC. The way the agent explained is if Regent have cancel the cruise and flights had been ticketed they would refund and or transfer the flight cost. 
The loss of the air credit happens only if the pax cancels and takes FCC.

Sorry punctuation and grammar out of the window. I wanted to get this down whilst it was still fresh in my mind.

If I am the only one to have misunderstood I will be sitting here with a red face 😂

1 hour ago, Foggyzx9r said:

Second bit is UK specific at least I think it is. Our final payment is October, currently the way the Reassurance program is written is that we would lose the air credit if we decided to take the FCC. The way the agent explained is if Regent have cancel the cruise and flights had been ticketed they would refund and or transfer the flight cost. 
The loss of the air credit happens only if the pax cancels and takes FCC.

I found this previous post by @machotspur was particularly useful regarding the question of how flight costs/cancellations are being dealt with by Regent in the UK under Regent Reassurance:

On 4/9/2020 at 12:48 PM, machotspur said:

Your frustration is well founded. I have spent considerable time researching this with my TA & Regent over the past few days and I believe I have got the bottom of it. Pay attention now  😉....

Our booking is a usual Regent Long Haul all inclusive package - includes Economy Flights,  Pre Cruise Hotel, an inclusive 3 night pre cruise land tour, airport transfers etc.

We have upgraded the flight to First Class, so in addition to the base all inclusive fare, an additional £1,999 per person is added to the booking cost.    

With the Regent Reassurance programme they are giving :- a 100% Future Cruise Credit (excluding air and Concierge Collection arrangements if applicable) . The implications of this is that if one cancels the cruise after the flights have been ticketed one only receives a FCC excluding all flight costs. (The ticketing of flights - in the UK at least - typically takes place at around 70 days. For simplicity I have put in my mind 90 days - the usual cruise cancellation threshold).

So - if I was to leave the cancellation until after flight ticketing, the 'excluding flight costs' that I would lose under the Reassurance rules would be the 2 x £1,999 upgrade cost + 2 x Economy fares (an as yet unknown figure !). 

To avoid this loss there are two ways around it, both requiring one to cancel before flight ticketing. :-

1. Enact the Regent Reassurance facility prior to flights being ticketed (as I have said I would do this at 90 days out to be sure). You would need to pay 100% of the full cost to qualify for the Reassurance facility, after which you would then be eligible for a FCC including air costs.

2. Make the booking 'ex flights' prior to cancellation. You can do this at any time before the flights are ticketed and Regent don't charge an admin fee for this. Once the booking has been converted to 'ex flights' you then need to pay 100% of the new 'ex flights'  invoice to enable you to qualify for the Reassurance. In this case the 100% payment you are making is less than option 1, and therefore the subsequent FCC is correspondingly lower.

I will be using Option 2 because I have a £3,998 flight upgrade cost, which under this option won't be included in the 100% payment I make, and therefore stays in my account rather than Regent's as a FCC.

Regarding your question - Is that 90 days before the flight date?.

In truth it's not a precise date. Regent tell me they ticket the flights 'around 70 days before departure'. As I have in my mind 90 days to give a bit of 'wiggle room' and because it's a figure I am familiar with.

As always there is the caveat that all of this probably applies to UK bookings only. 

Hope this makes sense.  

This was post #33 from an early April Topic. Hopefully still valid.

In the most recent iteration of Regent Reassurance it is noted for those in the UK that cancellations by the customer must be received at least 65 days before cruising in order for the air costs to be included as part of the FCC.

Hi flossie 

yep spotted this and it still stands as I understand it. I would be wary regarding the 65 days. In conversation with the agent she said we would need to cancel the air at 75 days due to the destination and routing. I intend to contact them prior to our final payment to ensure clarification if there is no visibility on an extension to the Reassurance program.

many thanks flossie and I hope your keeping well down there in Bucks. Best wishes from Sheffield 

One thing to add: the Regent agent who rang was brilliant, very helpful, said it was better to ring than email a response as a lot can get lost in translation.

It worked, felt reassured, pun intended, when I finished talking to her.

Edited by Foggyzx9r
Add on
  • Thanks 1

Two comments:

1. When Regent just cancelled our Copenhagen to Reykjavik cruise we got 125% FCC and an offer to take a similar cruise (not the same exact cruise) and be guaranteed that it would not cost more than we paid for the cancelled cruise.

2.  The new FCC did not have to be used for one year.

As far as future cancellations you still have Regents standard cancellation policy where you only lose $100 if you cancel 4 or 5 months out.

Joel

Two comments:

1. When Regent just cancelled our Copenhagen to Reykjavik cruise we got 125% FCC and an offer to take a similar cruise (not the same exact cruise) and be guaranteed that it would not cost more than we paid for the cancelled cruise.

2.  The new FCC did not have to be used for one year.

As far as future cancellations you still have Regents standard cancellation policy where you only lose $100 if you cancel 4 or 5 months out.

Regent's policy in the past has been to credit the $100/pp cancellation fee to any other Regent cruise booked within one year.

Joel

SedonaJoel, what you stated above is what our understanding is as well (based on our canceled cruise).

I just want to point out that most of the posts on this page are relevant to the UK rather than the U.S.  Sometimes we forget to look at the country where a poster lives (and other times that information is not listed by the poster so I try to guess based on spelling or usage of certain words.). I do find it interesting to learn of the differences between countries.

7 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

SedonaJoel, what you stated above is what our understanding is as well (based on our canceled cruise).

I just want to point out that most of the posts on this page are relevant to the UK rather than the U.S.  Sometimes we forget to look at the country where a poster lives (and other times that information is not listed by the poster so I try to guess based on spelling or usage of certain words.). I do find it interesting to learn of the differences between countries.

Oops, yep I should have pointed that out when I posted.