If 'Social Distancing' last till 2021 will we still have a Cruise Industry.

datolim

5 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have heard and read this comment numerous times and don’t dispute it. However, these numbers are likely inflated by the number of cruises that have been cancelled and rebooked next year, and will continue to be inflated as more cruises get cancelled and rebooked. 

I will not dispute what them uber entails (new vs rebook) as we will probably never know, the point really is that people are will ing to take that risk.  

6 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

There are hot spots, and the evolution will continue but that said, N.Y. down, ma down, nj down, ct down, tx, down, fl down, pa down, me down, etc etc 

Yeah....down down down because of social distancing and masks.  As it gets warmer out...off come the masks and groups gather.  Then it will be up up up.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, skridge said:

When you type something that is untrue and call it a fact it doesn't make it a fact.  19,713 on May 17th.  21,107 on May 18th. 19,662 on May 19th.  22,368 on May 20th.  Looks to me like it is going up and down but trending upwards.  Here is the link to the graph.

u.s. coronavirus cases - Google Search.mhtml 1.88 MB · 0 downloads

You're using cumulative numbers incorrectly. Where are these numbers? What state? Plus, are you talking cases?  

1 minute ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Yeah....down down down because of social distancing and masks.  As it gets warmer out...off come the masks and groups gather.  Then it will be up up up.

You have no facts to base that up, it just supports your rationale.  Look at Florida and the state opening (with facts and their ability to detail trace), it totally goes against your point.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The big difference between airlines and cruise lines is the CDC, who makes it sound like cruise lines are mostly responsible for the spread of this virus and being on a ship right now is a death sentence. I may be exaggerating, but not by much. 

There's a bigger difference between airlines and cruises.

Cruises are never a necessity.

Airlines are often necessary.

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

You have no facts to base that up, it just supports your rationale.  Look at Florida and the state opening (with facts and their ability to detail trace), it totally goes against your point.

Incubation is 2 weeks....let's talk about Florida in a month from now and see how they're doing.

Besides....being on a cruiseship is a dense population.  Florida isn't....and it's really easy to keep your distance.

4 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

actually the virus can't live in the heat and the sun. That makes beaches the safest place to be, if you'e concerned about the lack of social distancing. 

The CDC, bless their hearts, just announced that the virus doesn't survive on surfaces either. So, all the energy ppl are putting into wiping door handles and other surfaces are wasting a lot of energy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Incubation is 2 weeks....let's talk about Florida in a month from now and see how they're doing.

Besides....being on a cruiseship is a dense population.  Florida isn't....and it's really easy to keep your distance.

Please look at it, we started this 8 weeks ago, mystery solved

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

By your logic it will never go away, as it is a cumulative number and testing increase, see my post above.  More importantly, look at where the outbreaks of new cases are.  Senior centers, nursing homes, assisted living and eat packing plants.  Look at hospitalization rates, look at the number of people on ventilators 🙃(how many currently , not whether there is anew one). All down.  If you wait till there are no new cases at all (your logic) you will never leave your house again (which is obviously your choice).  

By your logic the cruise lines are going to open up during a pandemic.  There will be no Corona Virus break out on a ship and everything is going to be hunky dory.  We see things differently.  I think at the end of the day the people in the big meetings at Carnival HQ are going to lean more towards my point of view.  We shall see.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skridge said:

By your logic the cruise lines are going to open up during a pandemic.  There will be no Corona Virus break out on a ship and everything is going to be hunky dory.  We see things differently.  I think at the end of the day the people in the big meetings at Carnival HQ are going to lean more towards my point of view.  We shall see.  Just my opinion.

We do not have to agree.  So are you saying that any ship would not sail until there are not any cases at all?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Radiioman46 said:

You're using cumulative numbers incorrectly. Where are these numbers? What state? Plus, are you talking cases?  

Do you think that Carnival is not going to take a huge PR hit if a bunch of cases come off of one of there ships?  We shall see.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Radiioman46 said:

actually the virus can't live in the heat and the sun. That makes beaches the safest place to be, if you'e concerned about the lack of social distancing. 

The CDC, bless their hearts, just announced that the virus doesn't survive on surfaces either. So, all the energy ppl are putting into wiping door handles and other surfaces are wasting a lot of energy.

I was actually amazed that it took this long to determine this.  Shows lots about what they know and do not know.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

We do not have to agree.  So are you saying that any ship would not sail until there are not any cases at all?

I don't know what the  thresh hold will be, but I am pretty sure the big wigs at Carnival are not going to cruise when the global pandemic has not even peaked yet.  I really am sorry that my realistic view of things doesn't match up with the views of the people on these boards, but I am not going to change my views to appease anyone.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skridge said:

Do you think that Carnival is not going to take a huge PR hit if a bunch of cases come off of one of there ships?  We shall see.

You didn't answer any of my questions, but that is OK. 

All you're doing is speculation. You've already made up your mind that there will be a lot of cases on one of the cruise ships. This is not a safe world to live in. You might as well come to grips with that fact. 

On this planet, death is the rule, and life is the exception.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

People are overlooking some of the obvious:

Nobody knows anything about this virus.  Everything is theoretical...where it can live, how it's transmitted, if antibodies give you immunity etc.

(I know I've said this a million times) I live in the heart of NYC.  The reason we were hit so hard is because of population density.  The black/Latino community has twice the death rate as the white community.  I live on the borderline...and I've walked thru the black/Latino community.  Maybe 25% of the people are wearing masks and everyone's gathering in groups.

It's no mystery why they're getting sick and dying.

The cruise ships are a dense population...just like NYC.  Some people will wear masks, some won't.  Social distancing will be impossible.  When people don't play by these rules, everyone they come into contact with gets sick.

Edited by MsTabbyKats
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

There are hot spots, and the evolution will continue but that said, N.Y. down, ma down, nj down, ct down, tx, down, fl down, pa down, me down, etc etc 

Florida is not trending down, local news reports here in SWFL have cases trending upward since re-opening has started.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Well....someone just said the virus can't live in the sun and heat.  So...that's why!

Sheesh...same argument with same people over and over.

OP just wanted to know if people think there can be cruising with social distancing.

No...there can't be.  Besides being impossible it won't be fun.  After a few honest reviews...new bookings without OBC will be way down.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Airlines are not overcoming this problem, any more than most businesses.  Sure a store says "stay 6 feet apart", but how often do you see people crowding?  I just flew last weekend from Texas to Maine.  First flight, a small commuter jet had about 10 people on it, so keeping distance was no problem.  Second flight was 737 or 757, and they didn't sell center seats, so you had some distance, but the person in front/back were less than 2 feet away.  Third flight was an Embraer regional jet, and had 44 of 49 seats full.  So, social distancing depends on demand for the flight.  Further, each flight had an announcement that face coverings were required on the plane, and they would give out masks as required, yet several people on each flight did not have or use face coverings of any type, they never mentioned to the crew that they had a medical condition that precluded a mask, nor did the crew even approach them regarding masks.

Yes Chief, I hear you. 

I am a frequent flier myself. But I am grounded by the lockdown here in SG.

Have to start flying again because of commitments but I am a bit apprehensive about this virus thing. Waiting to see how the airlines are handling this matter. Maybe some would operate up to 65% capacity, i.e. no middle seat. Maybe have to go business class if it doesn't cost too much.

25 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Sheesh...same argument with same people over and over.

OP just wanted to know if people think there can be cruising with social distancing.

No...there can't be.  Besides being impossible it won't be fun.  After a few honest reviews...new bookings without OBC will be way down.

You answer it for me. I am asking whether we would have a cruising industry in 2021 if CDC Social Distancing rule is still in place. Don't think there will be any cruising in 2021without a vaccine. It would be too expensive to operate under compliance with CDC rules.

Too make myself clear here, if there is a vaccine then CDC would drop their No Sail Order.

Edited by datolim
:........
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

North Carolina where I live and several other states going up. Our numbers here have trended up at higher rate last 10 days than at any time so far

• Like 3

1 minute ago, datolim said:

You answer it for me. I am asking whether we would have a cruising industry in 2021 if CDC Social Distancing rule is still in place. Don't think there will be any cruising in 2021without a vaccine. It would be too expensive to operate under compliance with CDC rules.

No....no cruising.  I agree with you: a vaccine or a miracle cure. Sorry brave sailors....and believe me, I'd jump aboard today if it were safe.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, skridge said:

Corona Virus numbers are up.  Fact.

Not at all a fact. The number of positive tests are up along with negative tests. The number of tests being done are up. Nobody knows how many cases this country had in febuary, march, or april... we could be down from a month or two ago.

• Like 3