If 'Social Distancing' last till 2021 will we still have a Cruise Industry.

datolim

11 hours ago, datolim said:

If sport games are played in empty stadiums, will we still have a cruise industry.

If there are no more Broadway Shows, will we still have a cruise industry.

If there are no more Political Rallies, will we still have a cruise industry.

The best guide to this question is perhaps how the airline industry themselves are overcoming this problem.

It seems an impossible problem for them if the 6 feet distancing is implemented

This will be over soon enough for cruising to return.. possibly without buffets but nobody really cares as long as we still have alot of food options.

I was just in Pittsburgh for 3 days and very minimal social distancing was being implemented anywhere. Alot of places still closed and masks required inside stores etc. People all over the walking trails and hanging out together.

Nobody cares anymore we cant ruin this country for years over a virus.

As for those of you saying "the cases of corona virus are going up" etc.. 

How do you know this?

The number of tests are going up so obviously the negatives and positives will rise. 

Nobody knows the real amount of cases we had in febuary, march, or april.

This country is manufacturing as many testing kits as possible so from here on out more and more people will be tested daily... which means the number of positives and negatives will constantly rise regardless of if the virus is fading or not.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Actually they are trending down. Fact

Actually, infections are trending down but the number of cases can only go up so he stated a fact. Statistics is a fun game...

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Cruise lines have to take risks to stay in business.  Carnival is ready to sail now.  If as in a past post there would be no cruises thru 2021, then cruising as we know it would cease to exist.  

I said until  the end of 2020 not thru  2021 then I agree cruise will not exist.

55 minutes ago, skridge said:

How do you explain that Brazil's become a new hotbed of Corona Virus cases.  Lots of sun in Brazil.  

Brazil Coronavirus_ 294,152 Cases and 19,038 Deaths - Worldometer.mhtml 1.45 MB · 0 downloads

Brazil is in the southern hemisphere. As we here in the northern hemisphere are coming out of our colder weather, Brazil is entering their colder season. So sun is not going to be as great, or as strong. And according to news reports, Brazil is not handling this pandemic as well as the U.S. 

• Like 2

As for the original question, the answer is no for most cruise lines. Carnival might survive, indications is the can by the skin on their teeth.  If they can't sail until January, I would expect a lessor experience when they start up because costs have to be cut. 

1 hour ago, Radiioman46 said:

actually the virus can't live in the heat and the sun. That makes beaches the safest place to be, if you'e concerned about the lack of social distancing. 

The CDC, bless their hearts, just announced that the virus doesn't survive on surfaces either. So, all the energy ppl are putting into wiping door handles and other surfaces are wasting a lot of energy.

Source for the face that the virus "can't live" in the "heat and the sun"? The virus does thrive in the human body which is a balmy 98.6 degrees.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Yeah....down down down because of social distancing and masks.  As it gets warmer out...off come the masks and groups gather.  Then it will be up up up.

Florida and Georgia were the first few states to open up several weeks ago...their numbers have only gone down.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bingomamma19 said:

Florida and Georgia were the first few states to open up several weeks ago...their numbers have only gone down.

It's not exactly like...someone sneezes on you....and you drop dead on the spot.

It takes time to get sick and it takes more time to die.

Anyway...again...this has nothing to do with what the OP asked.  Read his question...and answer it. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ibarrio said:

Actually, infections are trending down but the number of cases can only go up so he stated a fact. Statistics is a fun game...

Of course, they can only go one way ...ever

1 hour ago, Host Carolyn said:

North Carolina where I live and several other states going up. Our numbers here have trended up at higher rate last 10 days than at any time so far

Has the testing increased?  Has hospitalizations increased?  If testing has increased, which it has exponentially in FL, then it makes total sense.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Source for the face that the virus "can't live" in the "heat and the sun"? The virus does thrive in the human body which is a balmy 98.6 degrees.....

This was discussed yesterday in the thread "Anyone concerned about the coronavirus and cruising?" And bluefin67 did a fine job of stating sources, with links:

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/study-coronavirus-appears-to-die-quickly-in-direct-sunlight/

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-at-higher-risk.html

https://www.foxnews.com/health/cdc-now-says-coronavirus-does-not-spread-easily-via-contaminated-surfaces

Some good info in those links. Please read.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

This was discussed yesterday in the thread "Anyone concerned about the coronavirus and cruising?" And bluefin67 did a fine job of stating sources, with links:

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/study-coronavirus-appears-to-die-quickly-in-direct-sunlight/

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-at-higher-risk.html

https://www.foxnews.com/health/cdc-now-says-coronavirus-does-not-spread-easily-via-contaminated-surfaces

Some good info in those links. Please read.

Ok, thanks, I haven't read that thread. The bit about coronavirus not spreading well by touching surfaces actually makes it sound worse to me. Since clearly it is spreading well. Makes it appear that even if you keep your hands to yourself and off your face, simply being in a room near a contagious person is enough for spread to happen. 

Various countries are discussing forming 'travel bubbles' where countries with the virus under control (not just reducing cases but hardly any or zero cases) can travel between them.  There is talk for example about travel (and cruises) around Australia, around NZ, between Australia and NZ and also Fiji has asked to be considered as well.  Depending on what happens, over time places like Bali and parts of Asia may also be included.  The EU is also looking at 'travel bubbles'.  If this is agreed between countries and if cruise lines agree to quarantine before arriving and spend a season with no fly-ins (crew or passengers) the cruise lines may be able to restart earlier. 

Here is a link regarding this https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-20/coronavirus-pacific-islands-tourism-plan-nz-fiji-travel-bubble/12259532

Edited by lucymorgan

2 hours ago, skridge said:

How do you explain that Brazil's become a new hotbed of Corona Virus cases.  Lots of sun in Brazil.  

Brazil Coronavirus_ 294,152 Cases and 19,038 Deaths - Worldometer.mhtml 1.45 MB · 0 downloads

Well....considering they are just about to enter their winter it makes sense considering it is also their traditional flu season.

4 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

So true.  And think of the problems when the guy who had just a little too much to drink gets into a fight with the guy who's trying to do the right thing.

If cruising were to continue with social distancing, the capacity would have to be limited and more services/staff provided.  Thus...more expensive.  

Imho...people go on a cruise to have fun, to eat, to socialize, to see the shows, go on excursions etc.  Social distancing impedes just about everything.  If I my goal were anything more than sitting by myself and reading a book....I could do that at home.

To answer the question....I can't see cruising before there's a vaccine.  Although something looks promising now, there are so many steps before it can be given to the masses.  My prediction is: no cruising in 2020, possible cruising in 2021.  

Hey there are many people on cruise ships that have too much to drink. Hopefully  there will be an effective vaccine before the end of 2020.

2 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Sheesh...same argument with same people over and over.

Exactly, that's why I just read and don't respond to them, plus they spew a lot of misinformation.  

19 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Well....considering they are just about to enter their winter it makes sense considering it is also their traditional flu season.

Does Carnival cruise to Brazil?

3 minutes ago, mouche said:

Exactly, that's why I just read and don't respond to them, plus they spew a lot of misinformation.  

Those are called facts, pretty different actually.  That they are facts does not make them misinformation, just your view is.

Edited by jimbo5544

25 minutes ago, lucymorgan said:

Various countries are discussing forming 'travel bubbles' where countries with the virus under control (not just reducing cases but hardly any or zero cases) can travel between them.  There is talk for example about travel (and cruises) around Australia, around NZ, between Australia and NZ and also Fiji has asked to be considered as well.  Depending on what happens, over time places like Bali and parts of Asia may also be included.  The EU is also looking at 'travel bubbles'.  If this is agreed between countries and if cruise lines agree to quarantine before arriving and spend a season with no fly-ins (crew or passengers) the cruise lines may be able to restart earlier. 

Here is a link regarding this https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-20/coronavirus-pacific-islands-tourism-plan-nz-fiji-travel-bubble/12259532

Countries get to decide when they open their borders, I certainly get that.  If it takes to long, I hope they remember when cruise lines do not return later then.  working together always works better than isolationism.  

2 hours ago, Host Carolyn said:

North Carolina where I live and several other states going up. Our numbers here have trended up at higher rate last 10 days than at any time so far

Carolyn, here is what I have found when I looked at your state.  Testing is way up, which means that it is totally viable that the cases have had a blip.  Hospitalizations, while somewhat high have peaked and appear to be declining, although we would need a few more days to say either way. 

• Like 1