If 'Social Distancing' last till 2021 will we still have a Cruise Industry.

datolim

If sport games are played in empty stadiums, will we still have a cruise industry.

If there are no more Broadway Shows, will we still have a cruise industry.

If there are no more Political Rallies, will we still have a cruise industry.

The best guide to this question is perhaps how the airline industry themselves are overcoming this problem.

It seems an impossible problem for them if the 6 feet distancing is implemented

9 minutes ago, datolim said:

Fake news by......

I learned in stat class you can make statics match whatever you want.

Of course they are up, people are being given big obc and have to rebook to use all that free money. Now if all the obc doesnt eat up all the profits and then some. Cruises were low margin before. Didnt say profitable, I said more bookings from all the cancellatuons.

Polls can prove whatever you want too. Not fake,but selective facts. How its worded.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Of course they are up, people are being given big obc and have to rebook to use all that free money. Now if all the obc doesnt eat up all the profits and then some. Cruises were low margin before. Didnt say profitable, I said more bookings from all the cancellatuons.

Polls can prove whatever you want too. Not fake,but selective facts. How its worded.

Poll, statistics are sometimes right and wrong. But numbers don't lie. 2+2 is always 4. So what else did you say.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, datolim said:

If sport games are played in empty stadiums, will we still have a cruise industry.

The best guide to this question is perhaps how the airline industry themselves are overcoming this problem.

Airlines are not overcoming this problem, any more than most businesses.  Sure a store says "stay 6 feet apart", but how often do you see people crowding?  I just flew last weekend from Texas to Maine.  First flight, a small commuter jet had about 10 people on it, so keeping distance was no problem.  Second flight was 737 or 757, and they didn't sell center seats, so you had some distance, but the person in front/back were less than 2 feet away.  Third flight was an Embraer regional jet, and had 44 of 49 seats full.  So, social distancing depends on demand for the flight.  Further, each flight had an announcement that face coverings were required on the plane, and they would give out masks as required, yet several people on each flight did not have or use face coverings of any type, they never mentioned to the crew that they had a medical condition that precluded a mask, nor did the crew even approach them regarding masks.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, datolim said:

I think there will be some cruise company or companies around to cruise if we have cruises at all in 2021.  It's clear that there's demand for them and past history has taught us that they can be profitable if run well.  The names may change, and also some of the ships, but someone will survive.

20 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Airlines are not overcoming this problem, any more than most businesses.  Sure a store says "stay 6 feet apart", but how often do you see people crowding?  I just flew last weekend from Texas to Maine.  First flight, a small commuter jet had about 10 people on it, so keeping distance was no problem.  Second flight was 737 or 757, and they didn't sell center seats, so you had some distance, but the person in front/back were less than 2 feet away.  Third flight was an Embraer regional jet, and had 44 of 49 seats full.  So, social distancing depends on demand for the flight.  Further, each flight had an announcement that face coverings were required on the plane, and they would give out masks as required, yet several people on each flight did not have or use face coverings of any type, they never mentioned to the crew that they had a medical condition that precluded a mask, nor did the crew even approach them regarding masks.

"Airlines are not overcoming this problem"??  Sounds like they did, the planes flew and people got where they wanted to go.  If you wore your mask and face shield, you were safe?  Time will tell.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

"Airlines are not overcoming this problem"??  Sounds like they did, the planes flew and people got where they wanted to go.  If you wore your mask and face shield, you were safe?  Time will tell.

Supposedly, wearing a cloth mask doesn't help you avoid catching coronavirus. But by blocking larger droplets released by coughing or talking means wearing a mask might make it less likely that an unknowing infected person infects others. So cheng was no safer himself for wearing a mask. He was just theoretically making his fellow travelers safer.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

If by "overcoming the problem" you mean they are not required to meet the standards elsewhere in effect, then yes, they overcame the problem, and cruise lines could go the same route and thumb their nose at public health guidelines while making window dressing announcements.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Actually they are trending down. Fact

That's true, overall. But it goes back to what numbers you want to look at. NYC metro area has so many more cases than the rest of the nation, whatever NYC metro area numbers does drives the national coronavirus numbers. I haven't seen anything recently, but as of a couple of weeks ago if you took out the NYC metro area the national number of cases was up dramatically. But was that just because of increased testing, or an actual trend? Who can tell?

6 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I remember way back in high school being impressed when our debate coach said "There are three types of lies, lies, damn lies, and statistics.". Then I later discovered the quotation was actually originally said by Mark Twain.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Supposedly, wearing a cloth mask doesn't help you avoid catching coronavirus. But by blocking larger droplets released by coughing or talking means wearing a mask might make it less likely that an unknowing infected person infects others. So cheng was no safer himself for wearing a mask. He was just theoretically making his fellow travelers safer.

Lol my sister and brother in law got a mask with a pocket they were told to put a coffee filter in.

15 minutes ago, shipbound2 said:

After we get a reliable vaccine for COVID-19 I hope I never hear those words Social Distancing as long as I live. On a cruise ship social distancing is BS.

So true.  And think of the problems when the guy who had just a little too much to drink gets into a fight with the guy who's trying to do the right thing.

If cruising were to continue with social distancing, the capacity would have to be limited and more services/staff provided.  Thus...more expensive.  

Imho...people go on a cruise to have fun, to eat, to socialize, to see the shows, go on excursions etc.  Social distancing impedes just about everything.  If I my goal were anything more than sitting by myself and reading a book....I could do that at home.

To answer the question....I can't see cruising before there's a vaccine.  Although something looks promising now, there are so many steps before it can be given to the masses.  My prediction is: no cruising in 2020, possible cruising in 2021.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

So true.  And think of the problems when the guy who had just a little too much to drink gets into a fight with the guy who's trying to do the right thing.

If cruising were to continue with social distancing, the capacity would have to be limited and more services/staff provided.  Thus...more expensive.  

Imho...people go on a cruise to have fun, to eat, to socialize, to see the shows, go on excursions etc.  Social distancing impedes just about everything.  If I my goal were anything more than sitting by myself and reading a book....I could do that at home.

To answer the question....I can't see cruising before there's a vaccine.  Although something looks promising now, there are so many steps before it can be given to the masses.  My prediction is: no cruising in 2020, possible cruising in 2021.  

Agree, but there is a report of a vaccine of about 400  million doses may be available  as early as October. If that is the case if were the cruise  lines I would not sail before the end of the year because potentially they would be taking a risk.

12 minutes ago, shipbound2 said:

Agree, but there is a report of a vaccine of about 400  million doses may be available  as early as October. If that is the case if were the cruise  lines I would not sail before the end of the year because potentially they would be taking a risk.

Cruise lines have to take risks to stay in business.  Carnival is ready to sail now.  If as in a past post there would be no cruises thru 2021, then cruising as we know it would cease to exist.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Actually they are trending down. Fact

When you type something that is untrue and call it a fact it doesn't make it a fact.  19,713 on May 17th.  21,107 on May 18th. 19,662 on May 19th.  22,368 on May 20th.  Looks to me like it is going up and down but trending upwards.  Here is the link to the graph.

u.s. coronavirus cases - Google Search.mhtml

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Earthworm Jim said:

That's true, overall. But it goes back to what numbers you want to look at. NYC metro area has so many more cases than the rest of the nation, whatever NYC metro area numbers does drives the national coronavirus numbers. I haven't seen anything recently, but as of a couple of weeks ago if you took out the NYC metro area the national number of cases was up dramatically. But was that just because of increased testing, or an actual trend? Who can tell?

There are hot spots, and the evolution will continue but that said, N.Y. down, ma down, nj down, ct down, tx, down, fl down, pa down, me down, etc etc 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Bookings for cruises are up. Fact.

I have heard and read this comment numerous times and don’t dispute it. However, these numbers are likely inflated by the number of cruises that have been cancelled and rebooked next year, and will continue to be inflated as more cruises get cancelled and rebooked. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

The big difference between airlines and cruise lines is the CDC, who makes it sound like cruise lines are mostly responsible for the spread of this virus and being on a ship right now is a death sentence. I may be exaggerating, but not by much. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, skridge said:

When you type something that is untrue and call it a fact it doesn't make it a fact.  19,713 on May 17th.  21,107 on May 18th. 19,662 on May 19th.  22,368 on May 20th.  Looks to me like it is going up and down but trending upwards.  Here is the link to the graph.

u.s. coronavirus cases - Google Search.mhtml 1.88 MB · 0 downloads

By your logic it will never go away, as it is a cumulative number and testing increase, see my post above.  More importantly, look at where the outbreaks of new cases are.  Senior centers, nursing homes, assisted living and eat packing plants.  Look at hospitalization rates, look at the number of people on ventilators 🙃(how many currently , not whether there is anew one). All down.  If you wait till there are no new cases at all (your logic) you will never leave your house again (which is obviously your choice).  

• Like 6