Connecting Staterooms in Alaska

We are booking an Alaskan cruise for 2021 for two adults and two kids (8 and 10), using two/connected staterooms, and wanted to ask how the HAL ships in Alaska (Koningsdam,  Oosterdam, Volendam, Eurodam) set up connecting rooms.  I

Does anyone know how these HAL ships set up connecting rooms?  Is it only removing the balcony divider?  Is it by an interior door between the two rooms like you might see in a hotel?  It is by a custom/shared entryway like Celebrity S-Class ships?

Interested in your thoughts on all of these ships - though I'll confess that Koningsdam is probably our preferred ship.

1 hour ago, Jeremiah On a Cruise said:

We are booking an Alaskan cruise for 2021 for two adults and two kids (8 and 10), using two/connected staterooms, and wanted to ask how the HAL ships in Alaska (Koningsdam,  Oosterdam, Volendam, Eurodam) set up connecting rooms.  I

Does anyone know how these HAL ships set up connecting rooms?  Is it only removing the balcony divider?  Is it by an interior door between the two rooms like you might see in a hotel?  It is by a custom/shared entryway like Celebrity S-Class ships?

Interested in your thoughts on all of these ships - though I'll confess that Koningsdam is probably our preferred ship.

There is an inside connecting door between the cabins on the older ships, not sure about Koningsdam, but it should probably be the same. For information and pictures about HAL staterooms, see xxxfacts online. The xxx is "hal", we're not supposed to show the link here.

Edited by PSR

Where the door is within the room will vary depending on class of ship, and cabin category within that ship. 
Some cabins lose a closet to allow space for the door, while others have in in what otherwise would be a blank wall. 
On the Vista and Signature class ships, some inside cabins on Main Deck have the beds turned 90º to have the door on the side, at the foot of the bed. 
I'm been in many connecting cabins over the years, and only once heard noise from the other cabin. The woman was having a major outburst with lots of shouting. People going by in the passageway would have heard it, too. 

There are two doors---one for each cabin. If one cabin opens the door, they can't go anywhere unless the other cabin also opens their door. 

I don't know if this is true on any existing HAL ship (it used to be on the Prinsendam) some connecting cabins are served by a little alcove in the hallway with individual doors on the sides for each cabin and a third door at the corridor so the 2 individual cabin doors can be left open but the combined cabins secured by that third door.

Roy

10 hours ago, Jeremiah On a Cruise said:

(Koningsdam,  Oosterdam, Volendam, Eurodam) set up connecting rooms.  I

Does anyone know how these HAL ships set up connecting rooms?  Is it only removing the balcony divider?

On the 3 newer ships, besides the interior connecting doors, a small section of the balcony dividers can be opened, not removed.

Edited by catl331

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I don't know if this is true on any existing HAL ship (it used to be on the Prinsendam) some connecting cabins are served by a little alcove in the hallway with individual doors on the sides for each cabin and a third door at the corridor so the 2 individual cabin doors can be left open but the combined cabins secured by that third door.

That's how it is on Celebrity Solstice Class.  It makes it so any set of rooms could be made into connecting rooms.  It seems like a decent idea but the drawback comes if you get stuck next to a door slammer, or otherwise loud neighbor who congregates outside their door.  

image.png.c0244571c28b41818bc8cd89e9e4dfa7.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1