Solo Cruiser Question

Since I don't have 340 C&A points to qualify for the 150% single supplement vs 200% and have two deposits for future cruises, is it better to book a phantom 2nd person and get the taxes and port fees refunded upon boarding or opt for a ship that has solo cabins?  I'm aware that there are single supplement sales but they are very rare.  Wonder how the solo situation will transpire once sailings are in operation? 

38 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Since I don't have 340 C&A points to qualify for the 150% single supplement vs 200% and have two deposits for future cruises, is it better to book a phantom 2nd person and get the taxes and port fees refunded upon boarding or opt for a ship that has solo cabins?  I'm aware that there are single supplement sales but they are very rare.  Wonder how the solo situation will transpire once sailings are in operation? 

Book for 1 in a double occupancy cabin.  I've seen a few rates now that are offing either a 150% or a 175% premium.  Worst case is that you pay the same as a double getting the taxes back. Also if you book for one you only pay a single deposit unless you are being booked into a group

• Like 1

February 2021 has some prices very kind to solo cruises. 

There should be a easier way to find discounted solo and senior rates than clicking on rates for 3 hours.

If anyone knows a short cut let me know.  I know one site I can put 1 pax, but not senior, doesnt give me the real rate

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Book for 1 in a double occupancy cabin.  I've seen a few rates now that are offing either a 150% or a 175% premium.  Worst case is that you pay the same as a double getting the taxes back. Also if you book for one you only pay a single deposit unless you are being booked into a group

Thanks!  Good to know. 

• Like 1

Just remember, that booking a solo cabin will not get you double points. I travel solo and look at the price per day. I don’t worry about the supplement. If the daily rate is in my wheelhouse, I book. The nice thing about RCI is they only charge one deposit for a solo traveler. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Where do us lowly pax see the solo rate. I can see a rate and oh it's a good rate, but I dont see the 150% or 175% anywhere. Even if I see a good rate it doesnt say how much the supplement is

Gotta be a easier way than what I'm doing. 

8 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Just remember, that booking a solo cabin will not get you double points. I travel solo and look at the price per day. I don’t worry about the supplement. If the daily rate is in my wheelhouse, I book. The nice thing about RCI is they only charge one deposit for a solo traveler. 

Yes those double points are an added plus -- that's how I got up the ladder with C&A.  Celebrity also charges one deposit for solos even in a double cabin -- this was the case when I booked on board the Millennium. 

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Where do us lowly pax see the solo rate. I can see a rate and oh it's a good rate, but I dont see the 150% or 175% anywhere. Even if I see a good rate it doesnt say how much the supplement is

Gotta be a easier way than what I'm doing. 

You don’t. I don’t either. The only way to tell us do two bookings, one as a single one as a double. If the single is priced lower than the double by more than one persons taxes then the solos are getting a reduced rate.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Just keep in mind what the chance is you might possibly want someone to cruise with you...I would then opt for booking with the 2nd person as a TBD.

Zero😉🤣🤣

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, maggiecharlie said:

If you cruise solo do you earn double cruise points?

Yes if you are in a regular double occupancy cabin.  If you book a solo cabin then it is one point per night. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

1 hour ago, maggiecharlie said:

If you cruise solo do you earn double cruise points?

You get 3 pts if in a JS or higher the loyalty desk reminded me yesterday. I had to call them to fix something and after over 4 hours on hold in the afternoon reached them last night.

Book some JS and be there in no time he told me. Nice guy. 

On 5/28/2020 at 10:10 PM, Ashland said:

Just keep in mind what the chance is you might possibly want someone to cruise with you...I would then opt for booking with the 2nd person as a TBD.

It doesn't matter -- if you book solo in a double-occupancy room and pay the full solo supplement, you can just add the second person at any time by adding their taxes/fees and paying their deposit.  You don't have to book for two people and pay two deposits right from the start, unless you're booking under a group rate.

On 5/28/2020 at 9:03 PM, firefly333 said:

Me too, even before people would say they wouldnt be on a ship where all they could see is water. Idk what to say back. And that was before the virus. 

I prefer cruising solo - more freedom to do what you want and when .  Also  I like the closet and bathroom to myself. I've never had less than 200% solo supplement .  Never cruise with someone who is  "iffy" about cruising.  They would make your life miserable!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, squadron said:

I prefer cruising solo - more freedom to do what you want and when .  Also  I like the closet and bathroom to myself. I've never had less than 200% solo supplement .  Never cruise with someone who is  "iffy" about cruising.  They would make your life miserable!

Agree, 200+ nites last 5 yrs always Solo

3 hours ago, brillohead said:

It doesn't matter -- if you book solo in a double-occupancy room and pay the full solo supplement, you can just add the second person at any time by adding their taxes/fees and paying their deposit.  You don't have to book for two people and pay two deposits right from the start, unless you're booking under a group rate.

If the life boat occupancy fills up your're still saying you can add another person just because the cabin can accommodate them...Hmmm...didn't know that.

42 minutes ago, Ashland said:

If the life boat occupancy fills up your're still saying you can add another person just because the cabin can accommodate them...Hmmm...didn't know that.

What it means is that they will allow for 2 guests in every room in their lifeboat capacity.  If you end up going solo then there would be an extra space in the lifeboat.  It’s only guests 3 and 4 that impact capacity.  Every cabin is counted automatically as 2 with the exception of studios. 

• Like 1

Royal booking engine does not even offer solo cabins, you would have to have called. If you booked thru their site only double occupancy regular cabins even show. 

I just called C&A because it showed a inside gty price and I had put in one pax. She told me the way they handle it is your payment just wouldnt go thru. Seems like a dumb booking system to me but she says she gets calls all the time why wouldn't my credit card go thru. 

It doesnt show solo cabins, so you cant book one without calling... it shows double occupancy only and then rejects your payment. Sorry makes no sense to me. 

Idk why a solo cant book a gty price. Why is it only open to 2 people? Why even show it if I say one pax if I cant book it? I love gtys and the chance to get upgraded. Seems unfair solos cant book them to me.

28 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Royal booking engine does not even offer solo cabins, you would have to have called. If you booked thru their site only double occupancy regular cabins even show. 

I just called C&A because it showed a inside gty price and I had put in one pax. She told me the way they handle it is your payment just wouldnt go thru. Seems like a dumb booking system to me but she says she gets calls all the time why wouldn't my credit card go thru. 

It doesnt show solo cabins, so you cant book one without calling... it shows double occupancy only and then rejects your payment. Sorry makes no sense to me. 

Idk why a solo cant book a gty price. Why is it only open to 2 people? Why even show it if I say one pax if I cant book it? I love gtys and the chance to get upgraded. Seems unfair solos cant book them to me.

Solos can book guarantees.  You put in 2 passengers and then have the second passenger be a no show at the pier.  Your port taxes and fees for the second guest are refunded.  

on many sailings you can absolutely book studio cabins on the website.  You may find some dates are messed up fir whatever reason but to say that you can’t is not correct. 

23 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Solos can book guarantees.  You put in 2 passengers and then have the second passenger be a no show at the pier.  Your port taxes and fees for the second guest are refunded.  

on many sailings you can absolutely book studio cabins on the website.  You may find some dates are messed up fir whatever reason but to say that you can’t is not correct. 

Ever since this started when that guy said he was going to contact IT to have 2w solo cabins removed I cant see them and I can see on big box sites they are available. I no longer see any solo cabins on the rcl booking form. I've looked at many dates, and not a one shows solo cabins.

Lol in fact when I just called C & A the first thing she said to me was there are no solo cabins on that ship. She used the consumer rcl booking. I said look on the deck plans, there are. So that's the 3rd rcl employee in a row who told me there arent solo cabins on the cruise I was looking at. 

I was just asking if I booked the inside gty it showed I could book if it was a 2 person cabin lol. So she went thru and pretended to book and said there are no solo cabins on that cruise lol. 

I think if the inside gty isnt available when I put in one person, it should have a note like unavailable. That seems logical to me ... not you have to go thru all the way and enter your credit card and if it says payment failed, you know there is a problem booking what you tried to book. A simple note would be nice.

I get it now though. Thanks. 

48 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Solos can book guarantees.  You put in 2 passengers and then have the 

Pick a date, for a 2w studio cabin. They told me IT removed them all from their website.

I've tried jewel and adventure... no dates I can find show 2w studio cabins on royalcarribbean.com booking engine. 

Maybe they show studio balcony or something but I cant find any date on either ship that shows solo cabins or solo 2w studio solo pricing any more. 

Edited by firefly333