Elegant Nights

Elsie26

I'm sure this is here somewhere, but with all the COVID posts, I can't find it. My sister and I and our daughters are scheduled to be on Carnival Dream on August 3rd. I've cruised RC and know that formal nights run the gamut from black tie to jeans. What is the typical mix on Carnival? Do most people dress formal, or is it a mix? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My wife & I sailed on the Dream last July. For our formal night, I wore tan dockers, dress powder blue shirt, and a nice tie. With my dress shoes. Wife wore a black crepe pants and dressy evening blue top,with evening sandals. Mrs. Joe817 just informed me that her attire was "cocktail ware"... if that tells you anything. 

There were more people not dressed up than people that were.  Do yes, a definite mix. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Elsie26 said:

I'm sure this is here somewhere, but with all the COVID posts, I can't find it. My sister and I and our daughters are scheduled to be on Carnival Dream on August 3rd. I've cruised RC and know that formal nights run the gamut from black tie to jeans. What is the typical mix on Carnival? Do most people dress formal, or is it a mix? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Carnival is similar to RCI in that you will see everything from tuxedos to shorts.  From my experience you will likely see more people dressed casually on Carnival than on RCI, but you will see basically the same range on both cruise lines.  

• Like 1

I do not take a suit.  I am retired.

I wear dress slacks, button-down shirt, tie, light solid-color pullover sweater.  Some years, it is the only time I wear a tie, but some years, funerals and weddings....

I'd say I'm about average in attire.

• Like 1

My DH has been known to wear a tux when one could rent and pick up on the ship.  Now he wears a suit and I wear a smile.  And a cocktail dress with heels. 😁

On Elegant night I see at least 75% of the crowd in dressed-up wear.  Maybe that's because I'm walking through the picture taking gauntlet.  Most people are dressed-up in late seating of MDR as well.

My suggestion is to dress it up and get Dream Studio pics done.  They are worth it!

• Like 3

You may see some formally dressed, but cruises have gotten much more casual in recent years, thank goodness. My hubby and I are retired, and have no desire to lug all that formal wear anymore. We sailed two NCL cruises and fell in love with their more casual Freestyle Cruising concept, but missed Carnival. When I heard they now had YTD, and relaxed the dress code, we returned. My hubby will wear khakis and a nice polo or Hawaiian print shirt on “Elegant” night, and I will wear a dress. Other nights, he wears cargo shorts and polo, and I either a dress or Capri set.

• Like 1

Carnival probably has a lower percentage of folks in formal clothing than RCI, but there are still some people who really put on the dog and I love it! It looks beautiful and it's fun to have a reason to get all dressed up as it's so rare. Do what makes you happy and know that whatever you choose will be acceptable. 

• Like 1

This is from Carnival's website:

What to Wear - Evening Attire  

Following is the dress code in the main dining room(s) for both men, women and children:

“Cruise Casual” Dress Code

• Men: sports slacks, khakis, jeans, long dress shorts and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, jeans blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: cut-off jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Be sure to bring a red or blue outfit or a top for our Mega Deck Party.

“Cruise Elegant” Dress Code (formal evenings)

• 2-day to 5-day cruise: one “Cruise Elegant” evening
  • 6-day or longer cruise: two “Cruise Elegant” evenings

The first “Cruise Elegant” evening is scheduled for the second or third evening of the cruise and the second “Cruise Elegant” evening is the second or third evening prior to the end of the cruise, itinerary schedule permitting. 

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

The Steakhouse: The dress requirements for the Steakhouse follows the dress code specified for the main dining room(s); if the evening is specified as “Cruise Casual,” shorts are not permitted.

All guests are expected to ensure their clothing and accessories are respectful to fellow guests. Specifically, items worn during the cruise should not contain any message that may be considered offensive or contain nudity, profanity, sexual innuendo/suggestions. In addition, clothing/accessories should not promote negative ethnic or racial, commentary, or hatred or violence in any form.   

14 hours ago, fyree39 said:

On your typical Caribbean/Mexican Riviera cruise people dress somewhat casually for elegant night. On the longer cruises, like the Journeys cruises, there are more long-time cruisers who dress up a bit more and are more respectful of the dress code. Remember, YMMV.

I am a long time cruiser, and I most certainly do not go formal. But I respect how one should look on “elegant” night, and for us retirees that gave up wearing a suit to work daily (my hubby), we never want to see one again. My hubby and I dress neatly and appropriately, but definitely not formal. Since I rarely even see him in khakis even anymore, THAT looks elegant enough for me, along with some smart Hawaiian print shirts that we save specifically for cruising. I have several dresses to choose from for elegant night, but definitely not classified as elegant. As an RN, I spent my career in scrubs, so putting on a dress occasionally is no bother to me. As for heels? Lol! This old gal hasn’t worn a pair of heels for many years. Not sure my balance is what it use to be, not to mention, after bilateral TKRs, I can’t even get stockings on, so a nice pair of sandals or flats is about all my feet will have on, because I don’t think my every day sneakers will look too smart with my dress! 😎

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

With all the speculation about the buffets and how they will be handled once the cruising begins.  I figure a lot of die hard buffet goers will shift more to the dining rooms, so the dress may change to a much, much more casual attire.  The reason I say this is because all the hype right now is the buffets will change drastically either to be eliminated or converted to a cafeteria style service.  A cafeteria style will really slow getting food to eat, along with keeping a 6 foot distance.  Wow.  Talk about a bottleneck.  Time will tell.

Edited by airdale
hit enter prior to completion

I think it also depends what port you are sailing from.  95% of our cruises have been out of Galveston.  Lots of Boots and Jeans on formal night (including me).  But like everyone says, it's a big mix.  

On 5/29/2020 at 9:26 AM, Trueblueky said:

I do not take a suit.  I am retired.

I wear dress slacks, button-down shirt, tie, light solid-color pullover sweater.  Some years, it is the only time I wear a tie, but some years, funerals and weddings....

I'd say I'm about average in attire.

I'm retired too but what does that have to do with anything.we don't dress up anymore because it's carnival so what's the point in bringing dress clothes?last 2 carnival cruises my wife felt we were over dressed especially in the steak house.so I told her to not worry about the garment bags I'm just fine in a t shirt and jogging pants and oh yeah the camo Crocs.