The cruise-ship season in Canada is all but dead

eltigre

The cruise-ship season in Canada is all but dead as the federal government is extending the ban on ships in Canadian waters until the end of October.    Transportation Minister Marc Garneau says passenger ships with overnight accommodations for more than 100 passengers can't operate in Canadian waters until at least October 31st.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Way to go Canada! They have been successful in preventing an extremely high COVID-19 death toll like in America. Canada is doing it right, they are listening to the virus itself & the advice of their health officials. Good for them! 

👍

Being preemptive is a wise decision.  They're saving themselves a lot of grief. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Way to go Canada! They have been successful in preventing an extremely high COVID-19 death toll like in America. Canada is doing it right, they are listening to the virus itself & the advice of their health officials. Good for them! 

👍

As someone who lives on the Quebec border, i'll have to disagree.  As some say - it's a sh-- show in Montreal.  I don't know about the rest of Canada, but in Quebec, it's not under control.  The borders have been closed and it looks they will be for some time to come.  Vermont has been doing a good job and we really don't want them to come down and infect us.

• Like 1

End of October isnt that far away. I'm not booked until October anyway, a few days what's the difference. I assume someone from canada can fly to a port and cruise idk, might get quarantined ... but a few days one way or another no biggie. I could wait a month. Waited this long. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

👍

21 minutes ago, LPYRCRUISER said:

As someone who lives on the Quebec border, i'll have to disagree.  As some say - it's a sh-- show in Montreal.  I don't know about the rest of Canada, but in Quebec, it's not under control.  The borders have been closed and it looks they will be for some time to come.  Vermont has been doing a good job and we really don't want them to come down and infect us.

You might want to re-read what I wrote. 

The virus does not lie. As of 5/29/20

Canada COVID-19 death toll 6,918

USA COVID-19 death toll 103,418

✌️

Edited by ObstructedView2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

You might want to re-read what I wrote. 

The virus does not lie. As of 5/29/20

Canada COVID-19 death toll 6,918

USA COVID-19 death toll 103,418

✌️

The US has roughly 10 times the population of Canada.

Per capita, Canada is 184 deaths per million, while the US is at 315 per million.

So yes, Canada has had fewer deaths per capita, but it isn't quite as drastic as the total cases might lead you to think.  Canada is running about 60% the rate of the US.

And Quebec, which the other poster was referencing, has 4302 deaths, or 506 deaths per million.

So not all rosy in the Great White North, eh?

• Like 6

4 hours ago, eltigre said:

The cruise-ship season in Canada is all but dead as the federal government is extending the ban on ships in Canadian waters until the end of October.    Transportation Minister Marc Garneau says passenger ships with overnight accommodations for more than 100 passengers can't operate in Canadian waters until at least October 31st.

Here's a link for the info the OP stated:

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/minister-garneau-announces-updated-measures-for-cruise-ships-and-passenger-vessels-in-canadian-waters-up-to-october-31-2020-828222862.html

Posted a similar message in another Cruise Line forum.

Canadians have been mentionining this for a while so at least it's official.

Our border is still closed as well, so unless you lived in Canada you weren't able to even get to the port.

I do agree that it is sad and I love cruising. My son and I book "fantasy" cruises every few days. We play the "where would we go if we won the lottery and didn't have to go to school/work".

20 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

So not all rosy in the Great White North, eh?

Well, just like any other place in the world, the virus does not discriminate against, it spreads very efficiently, and spreads in populated centers with, well, ignorant people.  Most deaths are from older population, the old folks homes did a spectacularly crappy job of caring.  Once the virus came in (either visitor or worker), it spread fast and hit hard.

Percentage of deaths to confirmed cases:

4300/50000 = 8.6%

NY 29400/364000 =8.1%

That stat isn't all that different.  

And before anyone gets annoyed with my "ignorant" comment:. In New Brunswick, they had 0 new cases for 3 weeks, they've been relaxing restrictions.  A few days ago someone was confirmed Covid.  Here's the pissoff: this guy is a doctor, he went to Quebec for a pleasure trip, and on returning he did not self isolate, he went to work!!  So far he's infected 7 people (last two days), they are contact tracing hundreds of his contacts and then who knows how many more from those interacting in their circles....

Canada makes their own rules for their country, I get that.  I hope they have chosen wisely, October is a long way off. Effectively killing the entire cruise season is a big step.  I have no idea on what percentage of revenue in the country comes from tourism.  

As others have posted, the virus is smart and transmits well, it is not going anywhere anytime soon.  We can choose to live with it or not, our choice.  Isolation delays the progress, but as far as I have seen, not eliminate it.  So they can close their borders for a month, 2 months, 2 years whatever works for them.  Hope that works.

1 hour ago, young_ens said:

Well, just like any other place in the world, the virus does not discriminate against, it spreads very efficiently, and spreads in populated centers with, well, ignorant people.  Most deaths are from older population, the old folks homes did a spectacularly crappy job of caring.  Once the virus came in (either visitor or worker), it spread fast and hit hard.

Percentage of deaths to confirmed cases:

4300/50000 = 8.6%

NY 29400/364000 =8.1%

That stat isn't all that different.  

And before anyone gets annoyed with my "ignorant" comment:. In New Brunswick, they had 0 new cases for 3 weeks, they've been relaxing restrictions.  A few days ago someone was confirmed Covid.  Here's the pissoff: this guy is a doctor, he went to Quebec for a pleasure trip, and on returning he did not self isolate, he went to work!!  So far he's infected 7 people (last two days), they are contact tracing hundreds of his contacts and then who knows how many more from those interacting in their circles....

Oh...I get the "ignorant" thing, too well.

Here in NYC the black/Hispanic community has been hit hard.  Why?  I live, literally, on the borderline.  If I exit my building and head south, it's full of white people with masks, moving.  If I go north...less than half the people have masks and they're sitting together in groups, talking.

We're supposed to start opening on June 8.  Most people are dependent on public transportation....and if those in "the ignorant group" don't bother with masks.....it's gonna be a quick "second wave".

23 hours ago, firefly333 said:

End of October isnt that far away. I'm not booked until October anyway, a few days what's the difference. I assume someone from canada can fly to a port and cruise idk, might get quarantined ... but a few days one way or another no biggie. I could wait a month. Waited this long. 

Hi

The thought is that the Canadian ports that receive cruise ships will be closed till the end of October. There are no cruise ships that stop in Canada later in the year. Cruise ships will/may return next year. I would imagine that was what the OP was getting at. "Cruise ship season in Canada is dead"... at least for this year. 

It's interesting to see this. They are not willing to allow cruise ship passengers to visit, but at the same time they are trying to figure out how to open the borders. That will be another interesting spectator sport. I know I won't be travelling anywhere until numbers are way down from where they are now. So, I wouldn't want any visitors coming from the U.S. any time soon. For that matter, the same would be true for most countries, maybe New Zealand. They won't open their borders either.

2 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

The thought is that the Canadian ports that receive cruise ships will be closed till the end of October. There are no cruise ships that stop in Canada later in the year. Cruise ships will/may return next year. I would imagine that was what the OP was getting at. "Cruise ship season in Canada is dead"... at least for this year. 

It's interesting to see this. They are not willing to allow cruise ship passengers to visit, but at the same time they are trying to figure out how to open the borders. That will be another interesting spectator sport. I know I won't be travelling anywhere until numbers are way down from where they are now. So, I wouldn't want any visitors coming from the U.S. any time soon. For that matter, the same would be true for most countries, maybe New Zealand. They won't open their borders either.

Many thousands live on tourism dollars, these voices are silent in this discussion.  If their plan works (cruises, borders etc), and I hope it does, they win.  If they only delayed the same end result, then they lose poorly.  

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Many thousands live on tourism dollars, these voices are silent in this discussion.  If their plan works (cruises, borders etc), and I hope it does, they win.  If they only delayed the same end result, then they lose poorly.  

Canada is pushing for local tourism. Instead of Canadians travelling to the US they want us to stay in Canada (aka not go across the border flying or driving) and spend our money here.

Tourism boards are voicing their concerns but at the same time until the border is open no one from the US is getting into Canada to get on a cruise ship.

51 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

Canada is pushing for local tourism. Instead of Canadians travelling to the US they want us to stay in Canada (aka not go across the border flying or driving) and spend our money here.

Tourism boards are voicing their concerns but at the same time until the border is open no one from the US is getting into Canada to get on a cruise ship.

Good input, understand the logic.  

2 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Oh...I get the "ignorant" thing, too well.

Here in NYC the black/Hispanic community has been hit hard.  Why?  I live, literally, on the borderline.  If I exit my building and head south, it's full of white people with masks, moving.  If I go north...less than half the people have masks and they're sitting together in groups, talking.

We're supposed to start opening on June 8.  Most people are dependent on public transportation....and if those in "the ignorant group" don't bother with masks.....it's gonna be a quick "second wave".

Are you saying that only the black/Hispanic race is ignorant for not wearing a mask. I live in NC and all races here aren’t wearing mask, which I think is a problem. I just don’t think people are taking it seriously unless it happens to them or someone they care about. I’m black and I wear a mask. 

34 minutes ago, siestakeys04 said:

Are you saying that only the black/Hispanic race is ignorant for not wearing a mask. I live in NC and all races here aren’t wearing mask, which I think is a problem. I just don’t think people are taking it seriously unless it happens to them or someone they care about. I’m black and I wear a mask. 

No....I'm saying ALL people who don't wear masks are ignorant.  But, by eyeballing it, and by statistics, there's a lot less mask wearing in the black/Hispanic community.  And the lack of masks/ social distancing is why it's so much higher in those communities.

In all seriousness, and I am NOT a racist....I took a walk yesterday.  One block south to the white community....just about everyone had a mask.  Then I went north...one block....just about nobody had a mask.  This included "the workers" in the take-out restaurants.

Our governor has Chris Rock and Rosie Perez doing infomercials begging these communities to wear masks.  Every day he gets on TV..talks about the higher rates in lower income communities.....and begs the people to wear masks.  It just doesn't help.

For the record....DH and I both had covid and we're white.

6 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

No....I'm saying ALL people who don't wear masks are ignorant.  But, by eyeballing it, and by statistics, there's a lot less mask wearing in the black/Hispanic community.  And the lack of masks/ social distancing is why it's so much higher in those communities.

In all seriousness, and I am NOT a racist....I took a walk yesterday.  One block south to the white community....just about everyone had a mask.  Then I went north...one block....just about nobody had a mask.  This included "the workers" in the take-out restaurants.

Our governor has Chris Rock and Rosie Perez doing infomercials begging these communities to wear masks.  Every day he gets on TV..talks about the higher rates in lower income communities.....and begs the people to wear masks.  It just doesn't help.

For the record....DH and I both had covid and we're white.

I didn’t think you were a racist because of the comment at all. The wording just threw me for a minute. Lower income comes in all colors but if there were more mask for all they could be handed out in those much needed areas. In my city they did give out free mask earlier but they are hard to come by. I’m glad you and your husband are doing well.

I just told

my husband the other day hand sanitizers, sprays and wipes are not available for us in the regular markets but you go to business and they can get it easy. I think that’s a problem. I work at a HS and whenever we go back into the building I’m looking now so I can get supplies for my personal use.

All is well!

12 minutes ago, siestakeys04 said:

I didn’t think you were a racist because of the comment at all. The wording just threw me for a minute. Lower income comes in all colors but if there were more mask for all they could be handed out in those much needed areas. In my city they did give out free mask earlier but they are hard to come by. I’m glad you and your husband are doing well.

I just told

my husband the other day hand sanitizers, sprays and wipes are not available for us in the regular markets but you go to business and they can get it easy. I think that’s a problem. I work at a HS and whenever we go back into the building I’m looking now so I can get supplies for my personal use.

All is well!

I live in NYC.  There are free masks all over.   Social distancing is free...no supplies needed.

This "new normal" is not living; hopefully  it's only a temporary sacrifice.

Well we had the Spirit booked for Sep. and it got canceled, then booked another cruise line going roundtrip from Vancouver and now it is canceled.  I had told my husband after rearranging flights for second cruise that if this cruise got canceled we could just stay in British Columbia sight see there.  However, after reading the threads on Cruise Critic and seeing press from Canada we have nixed that idea.  Just booked a Cruise on the Breeze going out of FLL and if that doesn't sail we booked a nice resort in Boca .  We just didn't feel that we would be welcome in Canada even if they open up borders by September (our original date) .......and frankly sorta have a bad taste in my mouth about going to Canada for the time being.   I do love Canada been there many times.....but things have gotten a little weird right now between us; I am sure it will  pass.    😐

On another note here in Tennessee life is going well post Covid-19, we are almost fully open with the exception of the Smokies which are phasing in.  Restaurants, Hotels, RV parks, Dollywood, lakes.....very little masks right now.  Lots of outside visitors from other states as we live in a lake area, people are ready to live life and the kids need to get outside and be kids again.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Let's get the priority straight, shall we? In Canada, hockey season comes first, then cruise season and in that order.

I totally get that.  The joke here is the governor declaring "if y'all want football season, stay your a** at the house".