Oceana off to Newcastle

wowzz

15 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

The one which this thread is about...... The Oceana!

We were on her in February, and thought she was in good shape all round. And no  buckets everywhere like on Arcadia!

• Like 1

She's in local waters now, not far to go. Looks like she will be there before 5.00 pm  though I'm no expert, just going off the distance she has to go. We were going to head up for her arriving. Think we will go and see if we can see her passing by.

1 hour ago, swjumbo said:

The one which this thread is about...... The Oceana!

There were a few different ships mentioned so I just wanted to clarify. You know how easily threads can go off piste 😆

Avril 

She's in local waters now, not far to go. Looks like she will be there before 5.00 pm  though I'm no expert, just going off the distance she has to go. We were going to head up for her arriving. Think we will go and see if we can see her passing by.

The elastic band is not very tight. 4/5 is about right.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All four Fred Olsen ships were anchored in the Forth but have now moved to the port of Rosyth.  Fred Olsen ships home port  here in the Summer months just as they do in Newcastle so I guess now cruising has been cancelled till mid-October P&O had to find a suitable berth (s) for the ships. Newcastle would be a good option.  I know Greenock was also asked to accept ships on lay-up but they refused.

This is the reason given by Fred Olsen for the move.

"Peter Deer, Managing Director at Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines, said: “When we paused our operations back in March, we had an initial date of May 23 to resume cruising again. Unfortunately, this has not been possible, and so we have had to reconsider the running of our four ships until such a time that we can set sail once again.Moving our ships to Babcock’s Rosyth facilities and having them alongside in port allows us to run a more efficient operation, including the general maintenance of the ships, crew changes and refuse collection."

Th

IMG_6560.jpg

Edited by tartanexile81
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

You win this summer's prize for the nearest anyone is getting to a cruise ship

Cheers.

There is parking the other side of the railings so you can get really close to the ships normally but they were doing work there on the car park so we parked slightly Futher back.

Will definitely have a drive to North Shields to see the ship and yes it would be fantastic if we could have cruises departing from here, we were on the QV last year on the British isles cruise and when we sailed up the Tyne to North Shields the  Geordie welcome was fabulous  And would love to do it again.

37 minutes ago, Fishgirl01 said:

I looked at the Port of Tyne schedule and it said she will be there until September.  Went to have a look yesterday, wish more companies sailed from North Shields.

Thanks - looks like the rumour is true then.

2 hours ago, Fishgirl01 said:

I looked at the Port of Tyne schedule and it said she will be there until September.  Went to have a look yesterday, wish more companies sailed from North Shields.

Oceana's first cruise after the pause is scheduled for 29 October,  round trip Arabian Gulf from Dubai.  Obviously she's got to get there.

Repositioning cruise to Dubai from UK?  There's a thought....  Actually, I'd quite happily do that starting from North Shields. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Oceana's first cruise after the pause is scheduled for 29 October,  round trip Arabian Gulf from Dubai.  Obviously she's got to get there.

Repositioning cruise to Dubai from UK?  There's a thought....  Actually, I'd quite happily do that starting from North Shields. 

And me - Cruised from Barcelona to Dubai once before through Suez and Red Sea.

Edited by bee-ess

3 hours ago, Fishgirl01 said:

We enjoyed sailing from there in 2014 on the Thompson Spirit, around the UK trip.

We stayed in the Premier inn less than a two minute walk away from the port.

The next day it was easy ,they got you to drive your car into a lane ,took your cases and then parked your car

in the carpark and then back into the terminal .waiting to board the ship.

We would love to sail from there again ,as you say they need more ships .

• Like 1

We took a picnic and sat in our car looking at the ship.
It is only 15 minutes drive for us to get there.
IMG_20200603_151319.thumb.jpg.71c2cd7d09b6bb11db471f45cf39f620.jpg

It takes us 15 minutes as well but only if we go the long way. :)

Hope someone gets up to B&Q for some white paint. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums