First Timer, worried about Seasick

Bashermat

Hi all

Thank you for letting me join

We are 1st time cruise bookers and are going on the Caribbean Cruise for 14 nights on the Azura

We have booked a Superior Deluxe Balcony Room, however I suffer badly with motion sickness, we did not pay the extra £2k to choose our room as we thought that was a ridiculous amount for the privilege, our cabin type shows DE on our confirmation, does anyone know where we could be and if the areas will be bad for sickness?

Apart from all of this we are very excited...also any tips on what we must book etc would be greatly received

Hope you are all keeping well and safe 

To set your mind at rest, out side of the hurricane season, the Caribbean is pretty calm, and, given the size of Azura you will probably not feel any movement.

Don't book P&O excursions  - there are plenty of trips available at the dock entrances. Go to the Ports of Call section on CC for more information about each port. Take $US in small notes to spend ashore, and make sure you get change back in the same currency.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

To set your mind at rest, out side of the hurricane season, the Caribbean is pretty calm, and, given the size of Azura you will probably not feel any movement.

Don't book P&O excursions  - there are plenty of trips available at the dock entrances. Go to the Ports of Call section on CC for more information about each port. Take $US in small notes to spend ashore, and make sure you get change back in the same currency.

Thank you SO much, that is a huge relief knowing we should not experience Seasick - we are going in Feb which I believe is not Hurricane Season 

Pack a packet of Stugeron in your luggage - just in case?

Or, if anything happens and you feel really bad just go to the medical centre and get an injection.  Last I heard it was about £40, which sounds a lot but if it saves your holiday ...

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Bashermat said:

Thank you SO much, that is a huge relief knowing we should not experience Seasick - we are going in Feb which I believe is not Hurricane Season 

February is probably one of the best months to visit, weather wise. Conversely it will be very busy. 

• Like 1

Just now, Eddie99 said:

Or, if anything happens and you feel really bad just go to the medical centre and get an injection.  Last I heard it was about £40, which sounds a lot but if it saves your holiday ...

Stugeron’s the answer, indeed.  Cheap, easily obtainable before you go ( Cinnarizine is the generic name - same stuff) and highly effective just in case it’s needed.

Just an insurance!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Sadly they don't touch me...if anyone knows something that defintely works I am all ears, and would be forever grateful!  I have it that bad I cannnot watch any movement on a computer game with out being sick!!

7 minutes ago, Bashermat said:

Sadly they don't touch me...if anyone knows something that defintely works I am all ears, and would be forever grateful!  I have it that bad I cannnot watch any movement on a computer game with out being sick!!

I do not get motion sickness anything like as badly as you do but I do get seasick when there is a large swell. I tried Stugeron, ginger, wristbands etc. and nothing seemed to work for me. I then got a prescription for Metoclopramide and this has done the trick for me (not been seasick since 2011 🤞). I only take them if I start to feel the ship movement so the tablets tend to last me a long time, especially as we've been lucky with the sea conditions on our most recent cruises.

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DamianG said:

I do not get motion sickness anything like as badly as you do but I do get seasick when there is a large swell. I tried Stugeron, ginger, wristbands etc. and nothing seemed to work for me. I then got a prescription for Metoclopramide and this has done the trick for me (not been seasick since 2011 🤞). I only take them if I start to feel the ship movement so the tablets tend to last me a long time, especially as we've been lucky with the sea conditions on our most recent cruises.

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/metoclopramide/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DamianG said:

Thats great, thank you, I have noted this and will ask my docotor for a script 🙂 

As first timers, the shore excursions provided by P and O might suit you. You will know that you are insured and that in an emergency, you will be helped. Also, the ship would wait for you which it would not do if you were under your own steam. 

you get exactly what is detailed on the excursion, I have talked to people who hired a taxi at the dock gates and were then disappointed because they did not get what was promised. Others have had a great time. 

• Like 1

I get bad in bay or biscay but love the cruises so hits put up with it. 
had ginger ale to settle me but it took a few hours. I had obviously forgotten that I needed to take something with me. 

definitely take some tablets just in case you need them.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bashermat said:

Hi all

Thank you for letting me join

We are 1st time cruise bookers and are going on the Caribbean Cruise for 14 nights on the Azura

We have booked a Superior Deluxe Balcony Room, however I suffer badly with motion sickness, we did not pay the extra £2k to choose our room as we thought that was a ridiculous amount for the privilege, our cabin type shows DE on our confirmation, does anyone know where we could be and if the areas will be bad for sickness?

Apart from all of this we are very excited...also any tips on what we must book etc would be greatly received

Hope you are all keeping well and safe 

Welcome to cruise critic.

You have been given some fantastic advice.

If you feel queasy lie down on your bed.

A mid ship cabin lower deck are the least affected by motion.

A cabin steward recommended 

Green apples as a great remedy.

February is a great month to cruise around the Caribbean.

A lot of the ports you literally walk off the ship into town or to a shopping mall.

Hope you have a fantastic cruise.

Graham.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swaddy said:

As first timers, the shore excursions provided by P and O might suit you. You will know that you are insured and that in an emergency, you will be helped. Also, the ship would wait for you which it would not do if you were under your own steam. 

you get exactly what is detailed on the excursion, I have talked to people who hired a taxi at the dock gates and were then disappointed because they did not get what was promised. Others have had a great time. 

All of that is true - if you are doing your own thing, you need to do some research first, and make sure your driver takes you where you want to go. We have never had a bad experience on a DIY trip, and the drivers are all fully aware of the need to get you back to the ship in time.

The big bonus for us, apart from the cost, is being in a car by ourselves, or possibly another couple if we decide to share,  and being able to set our own time table, as compared to being herded around with 50 other people in a coach.

• Like 2

I'd personally agree with what Wowzz has said, and we'd generally do our own research and DIY where possible, and moreso on the small Caribbean islands.

Much cheaper in the majority of cases, less crowded, and more opportunity to spread the time weighted to your particular preferences.

Unscheduled detours can also be good. On a Barbados trip for example, I wanted to see the cricket ground on way back to the ship, and the driver was so chuffed about that he not only stopped for free but gave me an unofficial mini tour and talk.

Good luck with the motion sickness btw - luckily not something I suffer from - I'm sure if you're well prepared you'll be absolutely fine. Enjoy! 

Edited by BillieJeanKaraokeKing
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

I'd personally agree with what Wowzz has said, and we'd generally do our own research and DIY where possible, and moreso on the small Caribbean islands.

Much cheaper in the majority of cases, less crowded, and more opportunity to spread the time weighted to your particular preferences.

Unscheduled detours can also be good. On a Barbados trip for example, I wanted to see the cricket ground on way back to the ship, and the driver was so chuffed about that he not only stopped for free but gave me an unofficial mini tour and talk.

Good luck with the motion sickness btw - luckily not something I suffer from - I'm sure if you're well prepared you'll be absolutely fine. Enjoy! 

Yes, I'd go along with this too. I've been lucky enough to have been shown around Kensington Oval (Barbados) and the Recreation Ground (Antigua), including walking out on to the field and taking a close look at the wicket and square. I know for a fact that if I tried that at Headingley I'd soon get collared by ground staff and/or security personnel.

• Like 2

Also remember to take something for sea sickness if you go on a Dolphin watch/snorkelling  boat trip etc I don't usually get sea sick but always take some tablets "just in case" better to be prepared and hopefully not need them.  Have a great time.

• Like 1

Thank you so much everyone

I would love to not experience the sickness but it just plays on my mind as I know I get it-and it would be amazing if I didn’t on this cruise

We have been given DE for our room, but unsure as to what that means, as mentioned we didn’t choose the cabin as 2k for the honour was, we thought a bit expensive 😬

I am glad however that we have picked a good month hopefully weather wise

We are planning to use the Port excursions as we are a group of 6 and the thought of being timed on trips and waiting around with lots of other people put us off - am sure there will be many more questions from me prior to our sail date 🤦🏼‍♀️

Edited by Bashermat
Add on

5 minutes ago, Bashermat said:

Thank you so much everyone

I would love to not experience the sickness but it just plays on my mind as I know I get it-and it would be amazing if I didn’t on this cruise

We have been given DE for our room, but unsure as to what that means, as mentioned we didn’t choose the cabin as 2k for the honour was, we thought a bit expensive 😬

I am glad however that we have picked a good month hopefully weather wise

We are planning to use the Port excursions as we are a group of 6 and the thought of being timed on trips and waiting around with lots of other people put us off - am sure there will be many more questions from me prior to our sail date 🤦🏼‍♀️

From what I can make out, you are likely to be forward on deck 8, (E) so quite low down. Certainly not the worst position on the ship, although mid ship is more preferable for sea sickness. 

At least you are not high up and swaying around. 

Andy 

• Thanks 1

I assume you have been given a guarantee DE cabin. This means you will have a DE grade as a minimum but you may end up with a higher grade. The DE grades are at the front of deck 9 or rear of deck 8 as can be seen on the deck plan here.

https://www.pocruises.com/content/dam/po/pdfs/ships/2020-Azura-deck-plans.pdf

The higher grade cabins are exactly the same as the lower grade, the only difference is location. Thus the higher grade, and more expensive cabins are mid ships. As midship cabins are more desirable, they can charge more for them.

I would not worry about sea sickness. I have always found the Caribbean to be flat calm and no movement whatsoever. However, if it gives you peace of mind, take some suitable medication with you.

When you arrive in Barbados, you come off the plane and go straight onto a bus to take you to the ship. You do not go into the terminal. Your main luggage is offloaded onto a truck and will be delivered to your cabin but it may take 2-3 hours after you to arrive. If you fancy going for a swim pack some gear in your hand luggage. Pool/beach (blue) towels are available in your cabin as well as cabin towels.

Brian

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Bashermat said:

I strongly suggest you look at the Ports of Call section, and look for recommendations there, and pre-book private tours if there are six of you. Cosol tours in St Lucia, for example, are highly recommended. 

• Thanks 1

I can offer an experience that might well help you with seasickness.

I was at the hairdressers one sea day on Celeb Eclipse going through the BoB - one poor lady was melded onto one of the hairdressing sinks dry heaving every 20 seconds - she looked terrible.

They booked her in for acupuncture and she was fine within 30 minutes.

Just something to tuck away in case you need it.

• Like 1