B2B but different ships

kskelley40

We are thinking of combining another cruise with our short 4-day cruise leaving out of Port Canaveral.  But the second cruise would be on a different ship, different cruise line...but both out of Port Canaveral.

I am sure it has been done before so any suggestions, comments or tips to make this a smooth transition?   Haven't cruised out of Port Canaveral in a couple of years so I can't remember how it is set up, how far apart the cruise line terminals are etc....  I assume we could catch a taxi to take us to the second ship.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

We've done the same thing out of Port Canaveral but on two different Carnival ships Magic and Valor back in 2016. Despite leaving one ship it was pretty seamless since we were transferring to another Carnival ship, I'm sorry to say I don't know how it would be going between two different lines, but enjoy..

22 minutes ago, kskelley40 said:

We are thinking of combining another cruise with our short 4-day cruise leaving out of Port Canaveral.  But the second cruise would be on a different ship, different cruise line...but both out of Port Canaveral.

I am sure it has been done before so any suggestions, comments or tips to make this a smooth transition?   Haven't cruised out of Port Canaveral in a couple of years so I can't remember how it is set up, how far apart the cruise line terminals are etc....  I assume we could catch a taxi to take us to the second ship.

I don't think the cruise line will provide any additional assistance.  You will go thru Customs and can proceed to your next ship.

thanks. Not really expecting an assistance from the cruise lines, it is not their responsibility.  Just wondering what the Port of Canaveral is like to get from one cruise terminal to another in a timely manner.

5 minutes ago, kskelley40 said:

thanks. Not really expecting an assistance from the cruise lines, it is not their responsibility.  Just wondering what the Port of Canaveral is like to get from one cruise terminal to another in a timely manner.

There are 4 terminals close together that are within easy walking distance of each other, at least in my opinion. Carnival currently uses terminals in this area.

There are also terminals on the other side of the port where Carnival is building a new terminal for Mardi Gras. Those terminals are not in walking distance of the other terminals, once again at least in my opinion. 

12 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

There are 4 terminals close together that are within easy walking distance of each other, at least in my opinion. Carnival currently uses terminals in this area.

There are also terminals on the other side of the port where Carnival is building a new terminal for Mardi Gras. Those terminals are not in walking distance of the other terminals, once again at least in my opinion. 

thanks...we would be going from a NCL ship to a Carnival ship.  are you familiar with how close the NCL and Carnival terminals are?  We are not opposed to walking, don't plan on packing much.  But will take a quick taxi if need be.

I circled 2 locations. The left side of the pic is north and is typically  the terminal where Carnival docks. The circle to the right of that is south of that location is is usually where Disney and NCL docks.  Notice I said "usually" so your mileage may vary. You can see that if this ends up being the case, you may have to take a taxi or an Uber to get from one terminal to the other.

Screenshot_20200609-154613_Gallery.jpg

Edited by stobe1

19 minutes ago, stobe1 said:

I circled 2 locations. The left side of the pic is north and is typically  the terminal where Carnival docks. The circle to the right of that is south of that location is is usually where Disney and NCL docks.  Notice I said "usually" so your mileage may vary. You can see that if this ends up being the case, you may have to take a taxi or an Uber to get from one terminal to the other.

Screenshot_20200609-154613_Gallery.jpg

thank you very much....that is what I was looking for.  Very much appreciated

I think if you ask on the Florida Departures board https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/386-florida-departures/  you might get some answers about transportation between the terminals.  Although they may look close together, It's like 'you can't get there from here'.  I did a B2B on Elation in 2007 and we left from one terminal, but at the end of the second cruise the ship came into a different terminal.  I think one of the valet parking vans took me to the other terminal after the cruise (where I was parked) but it was not direct, as there was no ship there that day and there were barriers we had to move...  EM

4 hours ago, kskelley40 said:

Think they call that a side by side. Here's an example of one from @Jamman54

HI all!

I've done that a few times & didn't know it was called a side to side either!!

At Port Canaveral I walked the short distance from DIsney Wonder to Freedom of the Seas with a little help from 2 gents. We had to wait a while to get on FotS as they were unloading motorcycles from a ride for dialysis I think it was..

I have a NCL to Carnival in New Orleans coming up in Feb so now know what to call it!😉

~ Jo ~ 😊

3 hours ago, coevan said:

Technically a B2B is on the same ship, different ships is referred to as side by side

That's a made up phrase on CruiseCritic. You'll be hard pressed to find that phrase anywhere else.

Even Cruise Critics writers don't call them side by sides.

What are back-to-back cruises?

Back-to-back cruises are two or more cruises booked consecutively, whether on the same ship or on different ships. You'll want to let someone at the front desk know you're a back-to-back cruiser during the first part of your trip so arrangements can be made for you during the changeover day between the sailings.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2327

Edited by Illbcruzn4life
added a link

3 hours ago, kskelley40 said:

thank you very much....that is what I was looking for.  Very much appreciated

The two circles on that picture cover the 4 terminals I mentioned in a previous post.  It isn’t a very far walk between these terminals, but that likely varies from person to person. 

If you look towards the upper right hand portion of the photo there are additional terminals there that Royal Caribbean uses and where the terminal for Mardi Gras is being built like I mentioned previously. Those terminals are definitely not in walking distance in my book. 

Best case, it is a short walk and maybe you use a porter to help with bags,

Worst case, it is a short taxi ride and you should be generous with your tip to make up for the low fare and the driver's long wait.

One day (soon!) I will be able to take enough time off to contemplate back to back, or side to side cruises. 😎

22 hours ago, kskelley40 said:

for your consideration … IF you are driving down from Georgia - per your profile - park at the port park 'n ride - then take their shuttle back to your car between cruises - maybe to even 'reload' on items you can take aboard the particular cruise line - such as wine on Princess ( I realize neither cruise is on Princes ) 

you 'should' have plenty of time between getting off the first ship to do that … maybe even leave the port area ... then back to the park n ride for the shuttle to the next ship

edit - sorry, the above was posted about Port Everglades, so not sure that would work at Port Canaveral  - but the premise might be the same ...

Edited by voljeep

12 minutes ago, voljeep said:

for your consideration … IF you are driving down from Georgia - per your profile - park at the port park 'n ride - then take their shuttle back to your car between cruises - maybe to even 'reload' on items you can take aboard the particular cruise line - such as wine on Princess ( I realize neither cruise is on Princes ) 

you 'should' have plenty of time between getting off the first ship to do that … maybe even leave the port area ... then back to the park n ride for the shuttle to the next ship

edit - sorry, the above was posted about Port Everglades, so not sure that would work at Port Canaveral  - but the premise might be the same ...

That is an interesting idea...will have to look into it.  thanks.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2020 at 3:00 PM, kskelley40 said:

how much time do you estimate you will have if you are the last group off the first cruise, and the first group to board on the second cruise ??

12 hours ago, voljeep said:

how much time do you estimate you will have if you are the last group off the first cruise, and the first group to board on the second cruise ??

Probably an hour or 2.  After reading your suggestion about going to the car and catching a shuttle made me think about that.  I am thinking if the terminals are not within walking distance to just go to our car after getting off the first ship and then just drive to the next terminal and park there.  Would have to pay 2 parking fees, but that is ok.  Don't know why that didn't occur to me before.  We could also have a second suitcase packed and ready to go for the second cruise.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kskelley40 said:

We could also have a second suitcase packed and ready to go for the second cruise.

When I have done a b2b on two separate ships and had driven to the port, I returned to the car and did some re-arranging of the contents of my luggage.  Removing dirty clothes that had not been laundered on the ship and putting in some clean clothes.  Then, I sat in the car until check-in time began for the next cruise.  Much more comfortable than standing in line outside the terminal.

I do like your idea of having a second suitcase packed and ready to go for your second cruise.