Top Three Carnival Favorites

TNcruising02

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

The day after you hit a port where there is a national park, I'd have to look to see the name. Carnival has excursions for maybe $60 each and takes you there for a hour or so,

Skip the paid excursions and walk outside the fence and there are people selling bus tickets. Maybe $10 pp each way, unless it changed, maybe hit the ports and see what others say.

The $10 pp each way bus let's you off at a bus stop a few more steps away and goes every 30 minutes. I recommend this because there are several paths to explore. There is one you walk to a waterfall which is as close as you can get to that glacier. It's a mile each way. Most of those with the paid excursion didnt have time to get all the way there. Plus I wasted time on another path to see salmon. Carnival doesnt give you enough time imo. It's better to go on the bus and come back when you are ready. 

I hate to say this, but it also poured this day. Make sure you go to the dollar store and buy some of those rain ponchos. Ugly but easy to pack and dont take up much space. I found mine 2 for $1 at dollar general. I think carnival provided them free, but you can pick them up for $1. The carnival people were easy to spot. I felt bad they ran out of time. Biggest mushroom I've seen in my life along that trail. 

Haha you’re talking about Mendenhall Glacier. I know EXACTLY which buses you’re talking about, and definitely plan to utilize those. 😁 Like you said, that’s one place that shouldn’t be rushed. 

But yeah, our trip was supposed to be last month, so I’ve already done TONS of research and planning. Still learning new things though. 😜

1. Value - price is very good considering the included food options, cabin size, choice of departure ports, entertainment quality.

2. Laid back, happy vibe. Getting dressed up just doesn't sound like a relaxing vacation to us, so we don't. And the Fun Squad is really fun.

3. Self-serve laundromat. If I do put on a decent outfit for some reason, I can iron it, myself, for free. And wow, pack half as many clothes and return home with everything clean and fresh rather than facing a massive pile of stinky laundry.  I knew I enjoyed this feature on Carnival Triumph and Carnival Sensation, but it wasn't until I sailed Oasis of the Seas (fantastic ship, BTW) that I was offended at the lack of it. And no, sending out a little tiny bag for a fee to have everything come back overdried, faded, and covered in lint, was not an acceptable alternative to doing my own single giant load MY WAY on my own terms for less than ten bucks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

1. Value - price is very good considering the included food options, cabin size, choice of departure ports, entertainment quality.

2. Laid back, happy vibe. Getting dressed up just doesn't sound like a relaxing vacation to us, so we don't. And the Fun Squad is really fun.

3. Self-serve laundromat. If I do put on a decent outfit for some reason, I can iron it, myself, for free. And wow, pack half as many clothes and return home with everything clean and fresh rather than facing a massive pile of stinky laundry.  I knew I enjoyed this feature on Carnival Triumph and Carnival Sensation, but it wasn't until I sailed Oasis of the Seas (fantastic ship, BTW) that I was offended at the lack of it. And no, sending out a little tiny bag for a fee to have everything come back overdried, faded, and covered in lint, was not an acceptable alternative to doing my own single giant load MY WAY on my own terms for less than ten bucks.

The self service laundry is also something we really like about Carnival.  We like to travel with carry-on bags only so that we don't have to check luggage.  I would always do a load of laundry mid cruise and it worked for us.  On my last cruise, I did use Carnival's $15 bag special and that worked out fine too.  I will be Platinum on my next cruise, so free laundry.  Yay.  But Carnival providing self service laundry is a great option.  

Even if people don't like doing laundry, they might consider it if something happens and their clothing gets soiled.  One lady's family went on an ATV excursion and their clothes were covered in mud.  She was able to wash everything.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, crooooze said:

1. FttF

2. No more disgusting tablecloths

3. Free bottle of wine promo in the steak house

😜

FTTF is a winner.  We would get it every time we could.  We loved being able to get on the ship early and take our bags directly to our cabin.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I will be Platinum on my next cruise, so free laundry.  Yay.   

This brings me to some questions. I have been Platinum for a while but never thought of doing Laundry on a cruise because that seemed like work and I want no parts of work on Vacation. So how does Free Laundry Work? Do I mention it to the Cabin Steward or what? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, MzOhioLady said:

This brings me to some questions. I have been Platinum for a while but never thought of doing Laundry on a cruise because that seemed like work and I want no parts of work on Vacation. So how does Free Laundry Work? Do I mention it to the Cabin Steward or what? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

I am curious too.  When I used the $15 promo for laundry, I was told to fill out the laundry form and write $15 promotional on the form.  But for the free Platinum laundry, I wonder if there are special laundry forms.  Between my husband and myself, we can have six free bags of laundry per 7 day cruise.  I could send out a small bag each day for six days if I wanted to.  Clean clothes nearly every day.  What a great benefit!  We would only send out things like underwear, shorts, socks, T-shirts, and casual shirts.

2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I am curious too.  When I used the $15 promo for laundry, I was told to fill out the laundry form and write $15 promotional on the form.  But for the free Platinum laundry, I wonder if there are special laundry forms.  Between my husband and myself, we can have six free bags of laundry per 7 day cruise.  I could send out a small bag each day for six days if I wanted to.  Clean clothes nearly every day.  What a great benefit!  We would only send out things like underwear, shorts, socks, T-shirts, and casual shirts.

I could see washing my DH's Swimming Trunks, Shorts and Tee Shirts as well as my Shorts, Swimming Suits, and Capri Pants. That's less wet things that I'd have to pack to take back home to wash. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

There's nothing better than a fluff thread to have some fun!  Name the top three things you like about Carnival cruises.  

Hi TNcruising02 🙂

When my wife & I choose to sail Carnival, we do so for:

1) High octane 

2) Food options 

3) Affordability to extend cruise length; 14-night or longer sailings via B2B's or Journeys voyages that were added to Carnival itineraries in 2015. 

🌴

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1. Crew-always friendly and upbeat

2.Great Military appreciation program. I am Viet Nam era

3.Call it people watching but actually it is more like sitting and visiting with everyone. Nearly everyone will stop and visit and every one of them is a story.

• Like 1

#1:  The Atriums and the Atrium Bars on the ships; there is a vibe there that I don't find on most other ships on which I have sailed.  Add excellent music, it's even better!

#2:  The Steakhouse on those ships that have such.  Service and cuisine most often is superior to HAL's Pinnacle Grill.

#3:  The entertainment and music in the various lounges.  The main theater shows, I enjoy.  And, even as a Senior Citizen, The Towel Animal Theater was a program that I am surely glad that I chose to attend.  Comedians?  Not so much and that may be what many now seem to find funny, I don't.  

Edited by rkacruiser

8 hours ago, MNLIvin said:

1. Crew-always friendly and upbeat

2.Great Military appreciation program. I am Viet Nam era

3.Call it people watching but actually it is more like sitting and visiting with everyone. Nearly everyone will stop and visit and every one of them is a story.

I really like the military appreciation program.

On 6/16/2020 at 7:46 AM, rs45thompson said:

1. Value

2. Fun Squad

3. Food- I didn't appreciate this until I went on Royal. ( Don't get me wrong they are a great line but the food is terrible imo.)

I realize food is very subjective, but I think the food on RCI is much better than Carnival’s food, although the steakhouse on Carnival ships are excellent in my opinion. 

1)  Value proposition 

2)  Trivia  (yes, we idolize Alex Trebek)  

3)  Food options  

Some people have a negative opinion of Carnival, due in part to their reputation portrayed in the media and their "cheap" cruise prices, but if there's one thing you learn in life after living a number of years, price doesn't always equal quality and the media is seldom objective with their reporting.   Simply put, when we go on vacation we want to have fun and be ourselves, both of which Carnival is very successful at, for a very reasonable price.  

• Like 2

We're not allowed to post links to facebook on here, so unfortunately I can't share it, but I watched a video on there today made by a Carnival crew member who documented her time onboard her ship during the pandemic, as well as her journey to be repatriated back to her home country of India. Excellent video and very touching. She is very proud to work for Carnival and very grateful for how well she, and her fellow crew members, are treated.

Things I took notice of: Carnival wasn't just stocking the ship with any ole food for remaining crew members. Nope, they've been having Guy's burgers, Blue Iguana, and all the other great meals the rest of us would get on our cruises. Huge meals in honor of religious holidays that came & went while they were stuck on the ships. She even made note of a selection of "free beer" served at the buffet. Glass bottles, so these weren't leftovers from prior to the shutdown. I'm impressed that Carnival continues to stock the ships with much of the same food & drinks for their remaining crew that guests would get. On her journey back home, she was first on the Miracle, then the Panorama, and finally the Splendor. For the last leg of their trip back home, Carnival chartered a plane to take them the rest of the way. She showed the goodie bags that Carnival supplied them for that last leg of the trip, with hand sanitizer, bottles of water & other drinks, and snacks. I'm sure some might think, big deal. Well it sure was a big deal to this crew member. In her video, while she's showing the contents of these goodie bags, she captioned it, "I was crying! I mean who does all of that?"

I've seen a few videos made by crew members during the shutdown and really enjoy them because we get to see a side of them we normally don't see. They're amazing people for what they do. Carnival isn't perfect. They've done things that we all weren't happy about. But after watching this, I have more respect for how much they care about their crew members. And for how much those crew members care about us, Carnival's passengers. I, for one, am eager to see them again. If all goes well, that'll be in January.

• Like 3

1.  Cloud 9 Spa with the thalassotherapy pool and warm stone recliners!
2.  Comedy shows

3.  Fun cruisers.
 Some people look down on Carnival cruisers but I really enjoy how everyone is nice and upbeat.  Most people say hello to each other even if we’re strangers.  Just a relax we’re all on vacation vibe 🥰 

• Like 1

1. Convenient Embarkation - Carnival is the only line that I can embark from my country year round. Otherwise gotta wait till the "winter" season or fly to another country.

2. Price - usually they are the cheapest option.

3. Vibe - I'm young so prefer the fun ship vibe.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TravelLots said:

1.  Cloud 9 Spa with the thalassotherapy pool and warm stone recliners!
2.  Comedy shows

3.  Fun cruisers.
 Some people look down on Carnival cruisers but I really enjoy how everyone is nice and upbeat.  Most people say hello to each other even if we’re strangers.  Just a relax we’re all on vacation vibe 🥰 

I agree with your last point but I think you will find that on any cruise line. We have been fortunate enough to sail on multiple cruise lines. While I definitely think there are significant differences between cruise lines, the one thing I have found consistent on every cruise ship on every cruise line is how friendly other passengers are and how friendly staff members are towards passengers.