The problem with FCC...

TPgal

1 hour ago, Budget Queen said:

Nope.   Refer to the detailed terms at the top of the NCL website.    

Maybe that is going to change. The AGs office has gotten back to me.

They have been taking money and using Covid as an excuse to keep the money for an unreasonable time and my theory of breach of contract if we rebook and they cancel is valid.

This thing the cruise lines are doing apparently is being considered price gouging related to the Covid 19 state of emergency.

This has been turned over to the Consumer protection Division for review.

Steve

5 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

Latitudes accounts are per person.  Each has their own.  Of course when another account is added their credits are added.   You’re saying there are somehow phantom amounts that only show up when mock bookings are made with  another guest ?   And these aren’t listed under any individual account if you access it?    

Yes and even then they are not showing up. I contacted my TA today and she has a different amount on her screen showing more than my mock booking. Its from the recent cancelled Jewel 2021 cruises. There is a 10% bonus now.

Steve

1 hour ago, mscdivina2016 said:

They have been taking money and using Covid as an excuse to keep the money for an unreasonable time and my theory of breach of contract if we rebook and they cancel is valid.

This thing the cruise lines are doing apparently is being considered price gouging related to the Covid 19 state of emergency.

Steve

I hope so, as of right now. I only have fcc to take care of admin fees, port fees & taxes, grats, drinks, etc, but no cruise to go with it

1 hour ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Steve

Right now-  “maybe “ doesn’t mean much.    Plus. This speculation could take off like gossip-  evolving into misinformation.   

Might be popcorn time coming up.   🤩🤩🤩🤩.     

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

Right now-  “maybe “ doesn’t mean much.    Plus. This speculation could take off like gossip-  evolving into misinformation.  

Might be popcorn time coming up.   🤩🤩🤩🤩.     

I hope not,  in the last 24 hours I have now gotten 3 cash refunds on cruises. They cancelled my Jewel cruises for 2021 two weeks ago and I have my money already back to my credit card.

Steve

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 6/17/2020 at 5:31 PM, Comi.uy said:

The FCC worked out great for me, managed to switch a 12 day cruise with an inside for 2 b2b cruises (32 days!) with a window and having to pay a bit extra. Also later they upgraded my rooms from small with small windows to larger with panoramic windows so atm its working fine for me!

(Revisiting my old thread) So, now that it's been over a year, are you still booked?  I think I might have cried when having to rebook or cancel such a fantastic itinerary.

Hope you're doing well.

-T

On 6/30/2020 at 1:48 AM, bernard530 said:

The FCC worked in my favor.  As a solo traveler I booked a 7 day cruise, balcony room and paid my gratuities and I still have $55 left over I can use towards a shore excursion  

That sounds great, are you still booked?   (We cancelled a DCL March 2020 cruise and rebooked into an April 2021, which we proactively rebooked into a April 2022.  We've been pretty lucky with being able to upgrade our future vacation at each turn, but at this point it feels like an aspirational trip to the moon. 

Edited by TPgal
added information

8 minutes ago, TPgal said:

(Revisiting my old thread) So, now that it's been over a year, are you still booked?  I think I might have cried when having to rebook or cancel such a fantastic itinerary.

Hope you're doing well.

-T

No unfortunately that cruise was cancelled as well, right now I have the fcc just sitting there. Need to see what ill book, aiming for the end of this year

To respond to this threads title, I believe the biggest problem with fcc is that as soon as NCL restructures (bankruptcy, merger, acquisition, etc...) it is very likely the fcc will become worthless.

Also,  they offered 25%, but they raised prices nearly 40% best I can tell. No win for the consumer there either. 

The way I see it, the only win for FCC holders is IF ncl sticks around long enough to honor the certs, AND the cert holder can secure a rate at or below what the original cruise cost was. I’m a believer that once cruise ships return to sail, those lines who survive will be offering excellent last minute discounts to attract consumers back onto the sea. 

46 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Also,  they offered 25%, but they raised prices nearly 40% best I can tell. No win for the consumer there either. 

Your conclusion is not correct.

Lets look at three consumers:

Consumer #1 - Books a cruise which is cancelled. They take the FCC, then rebook a new cruise.

Consumer #2 - Books a cruise which is cancelled. They get the cash refund, then rebook a new cruise.

Consumer #3 - Never booked the cancelled cruise, but they book on the new cruise.

To keep the math simple well use $100 as the original price and assume that everyone books the same cabin category.

The 25% offered is $25.

The new price after the 40% raise is $140.

Consumer #1: pays $100, then gets $125 in total FCC. In order to book the new cruise they then have to kick in an additional $15 ($140 - $125 = $15). Their total out of pocket cost is $115. ($100 + $15).

Consumer #2: pays $100, then gets $100 refunded. In order to book the new cruise they then have to kick in an additional $40 ($140 - $100 = $40). Their total out of pocket cost is $140. ($100 + $40).

Consumer #3: isn't involved with the initial booking and cancellation. In order to book the new cruise they have to kick in the entire $140 cost. Their total out of pocket cost is $140.

The consumer with the FCC does get a "benefit" that the other two do not. Seems like a win for that consumer.

3 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Your conclusion is not correct.

Lets look at three consumers:

Consumer #1 - Books a cruise which is cancelled. They take the FCC, then rebook a new cruise.

Consumer #2 - Books a cruise which is cancelled. They get the cash refund, then rebook a new cruise.

Consumer #3 - Never booked the cancelled cruise, but they book on the new cruise.

To keep the math simple well use $100 as the original price and assume that everyone books the same cabin category.

The 25% offered is $25.

The new price after the 40% raise is $140.

Consumer #1: pays $100, then gets $125 in total FCC. In order to book the new cruise they then have to kick in an additional $15 ($140 - $125 = $15). Their total out of pocket cost is $115. ($100 + $15).

Consumer #2: pays $100, then gets $100 refunded. In order to book the new cruise they then have to kick in an additional $40 ($140 - $100 = $40). Their total out of pocket cost is $140. ($100 + $40).

Consumer #3: isn't involved with the initial booking and cancellation. In order to book the new cruise they have to kick in the entire $140 cost. Their total out of pocket cost is $140.

The consumer with the FCC does get a "benefit" that the other two do not. Seems like a win for that consumer.

Thank you. That does makes sense- for those who will only cruise on ncl as a vacation option. I took cash for a few obvious reasons. 1) I still have the choice for how to spend those same vacation dollars. While I love cruising I’m not married to it and if the pricing structure remains inflated we will vacation elsewhere. 2) Instead of allowing the cruise line to hold my money, I reinvested the refund and have doubled the investment in my portfolio 3) I acknowledged the risk of bankruptcy/restructuring from day one abs was not willing to take that risk.

But you are correct. Assuming fccs can be actually be used to sail; If someone was ONLY going to cruise again on Ncl AND would not have invested the money prudently elsewhere , THAN fcc was a good choice. But it was not without risk. Like everything related to this virus, time will tell.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

To respond to this threads title, I believe the biggest problem with fcc is that as soon as NCL restructures (bankruptcy, merger, acquisition, etc...) it is very likely the fcc will become worthless.

The way I see it, the only win for FCC holders is IF ncl sticks around long enough to honor the certs, AND the cert holder can secure a rate at or below what the original cruise cost was. I’m a believer that once cruise ships return to sail, those lines who survive will be offering excellent last minute discounts to attract consumers back onto the sea. 

Yep, prices crazy.  We have $150 bucks tied up with NCL. There are a few deals out there but few.   No way booking them and giving hefty Haven deposit at risk.