Carnival to Dump Six Ships

besberry

9 minutes ago, drsel said:

In my opinion the 6 ships Carnival is going to dump include Costa Victoria, (already sold for scrap), Costa mediterranea and Costa neoRomantica.

Yes, you are probably right - but don't forget they said they already had agreements on the six and were also actively seeking agreements on a number of others...

17 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Don't jump the gun just yet. Wait until it's official. I'm not saying that it won't be happening, only just to wait and see.

Avril

If molecrochip says it is likely, believe me, it is likely. 

Andy 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

If molecrochip says it is likely, believe me, it is likely. 

Andy 

Andy, I would love to be wrong as lots of passengers love her. I’m a big ship fan but understand the pull of the smaller ships for people.

The only other possibility I could forsee is that she’s off for long term layup somewhere. By long, I mean 9 months+.

But that doesn’t fit with my info.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Have to say - read this just and it has made me cry  :-( Am really upset :-(

Please no silly comments - will be genuinely gutted if they get rid of Oceana .

For us she is a very special ship  ----- many. many happy memories and now feel cheated that we should have sailed her on the 13th August for 2 weeks

Suppose the ironic thing is that we sailed on Azura last year and loved her and our cabin

:-(

Edited by Presto2

9 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Andy, I would love to be wrong as lots of passengers love her. I’m a big ship fan but understand the pull of the smaller ships for people.

The only other possibility I could forsee is that she’s off for long term layup somewhere. By long, I mean 9 months+.

I have learnt that you do not make statements lightly and appear to have good, possibly inside knowledge. 

If she is laid up for 9 months+, I doubt she would come back. 

Andy 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Have to say that if P&O go the way of mega ships we will stick with land holidays. We have recently purchased a beautiful static caravan right by the sea in a quiet part of Wales and I think the nick name will now be Oceana 2 ;-) Don't want giant ships with all bells and whistles.

Must admit we love Britannia, enjoyed Azura but hated Ventura so we will see moving forward.

For now, for us it is Costa a la Wales and Oceana 2

PS And after an amazing cruise last year perhaps we return to Celebrity EDGE

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, drsel said:

Oceana is not likely to be sold this year at least.
I have a cruise booked early November

I don't think that seems to make much difference if, and I stress if, this information turns out to be accurate.  P&O cancelled my cruise on Oriana when we had confirmed bookings as she was sold.

The P&O system has also just accepted a "dummy booking" for Oceana's itinerary to the Gulf in October. 

If the information proves to be correct, then that is wrong.  Most people aren't in the know and don't contribute to Cruise Critic.  Fair enough, everyone could, but some more flak coming P&Os way.

Oceana is underway.

Those who said Oceana was due to stay on the Tyne until September were correct, when she arrived.

Gala 2 in 2022 would have seen Oceana exit. If she goes earlier, this will be a Carnival Corp decision even if it puts flak on P&O. The ships belong to the Corporation not the brands.

Things change when the world changes. Things are moving fast. When the first cancellations were put in place, based on official guidance there was honest belief that a June restart was possible. Over time that’s changed. There were just no precedents for this.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

I would anticipate that some of the duplication will disappear. Ventura is sailing similar to Iona pre Christmas. There are Med and Canaries cruises on the adults only ships 0which are broadly duplicated by family ships. I expect some rationalisation. It does free up an adult only ship. This is fine except for the Christmas middle-East cruise. It would be different when we consider Summer itenaries.

Maybe I’m being dim, but how does Oceana going free up an adult only ship?

1 minute ago, molecrochip said:

Oceana is underway.

Those who said Oceana was due to stay on the Tyne until September were correct, when she arrived.

Gala 2 in 2022 would have seen Oceana exit. If she goes earlier, this will be a Carnival Corp decision even if it puts flak on P&O. The ships belong to the Corporation not the brands.

Things change when the world changes. Things are moving fast. When the first cancellations were put in place, based on official guidance there was honest belief that a June restart was possible. Over time that’s changed. There were just no precedents for this.

:-(

Not checking now on here - really am surprised at just how upset I am …..

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

I don't think that seems to make much difference if, and I stress if, this information turns out to be accurate.  P&O cancelled my cruise on Oriana when we had confirmed bookings as she was sold.

The P&O system has also just accepted a "dummy booking" for Oceana's itinerary to the Gulf in October. 

If the information proves to be correct, then that is wrong.  Most people aren't in the know and don't contribute to Cruise Critic.  Fair enough, everyone could, but some more flak coming P&Os way.

It’s called running a business they’re not going to stop taking bookings until after any announcement is made Adonia and Oriana were exactly the same we know we lost bookings on both 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

😞

Not checking now on here - really am surprised at just how upset I am …..

Genuinely feel for you. 

Michelle is upset too, she loves Oceana. 

As you know, I'm not a big fan, but we did enjoy our time on her. 

Andy 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Maybe I’m being dim, but how does Oceana going free up an adult only ship?

Hi Selbourne, the theory is that if Oceana leaves the fleet, then Ventura (family friendly) will pick up her Dubai cruises, instead of Canaries.  This would leave Iona (family friendly) and Aurora (adults only) in the Canaries for the Winter season, which should be sufficient for booked demand.

Molecrochip, I think, explained that the "displaced" Ventura passengers may be accommodated on one or both of the remaining ships in the Canaries.

Beyond the Christmas/New Year cruises and those strongly booked voyages, Aurora's current duplicated itineraries with these two and other larger ships may be looked at more widely in 2021.  This, with a lot of reshuffling, could "free up" an adult ship to better align with the rest of the remaining fleet.

With the exception of some of her longer itineraries later in to 2021 (i.e Canada), she is duplicating routes which are available on other ships.  What Aurora does instead to fit in - pass.  I have inferred that there is a wish to keep the Dubai route serviced.

I'm not sure if Arcadia, Azura or Britannia come in to the jigsaw. Sorry if I have got this wrong, just what I have inferred Selbourne.

3 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Genuinely feel for you. 

Michelle is upset too, she loves Oceana. 

As you know, I'm not a big fan, but we did enjoy our time on her. 

Andy 

Thanks ... but you made me cry again 😞

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Manx buoy said:

It’s called running a business they’re not going to stop taking bookings until after any announcement is made Adonia and Oriana were exactly the same we know we lost bookings on both 

I agree, of course it's commercially orientated and the way the business is run; P&O will collect the flak on behalf of the Corporation.

However if a sale or transfer of ownership/scrappage has already been agreed/signed, if not announced, then you can't continue to advertise a product for further sales now which is not now, and is not intended actually be available.

People think that "product" is advertised as a holiday on board a particular ship. I just feel sorry in particular for anyone who is using "Super Saturday" to book a Winter Sun holiday to the Gulf on Oceana.

I know that they did it with Adonia and Oriana - just good fortune for P&O that no regulator appears to be bothered.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

Hi Selbourne, the theory is that if Oceana leaves the fleet, then Ventura (family friendly) will pick up her Dubai cruises, instead of Canaries.  This would leave Iona (family friendly) and Aurora (adults only) in the Canaries for the Winter season, which should be sufficient for booked demand.

Molecrochip, I think, explained that the "displaced" Ventura passengers may be accommodated on one or both of the remaining ships in the Canaries.

Beyond the Christmas/New Year cruises and those strongly booked voyages, Aurora's current duplicated itineraries with these two and other larger ships may be looked at more widely in 2021.  This, with a lot of reshuffling, could "free up" an adult ship to better align with the rest of the remaining fleet.

With the exception of some of her longer itineraries later in to 2021 (i.e Canada), she is duplicating routes which are available on other ships.  What Aurora does instead to fit in - pass.  I have inferred that there is a wish to keep the Dubai route serviced.

I'm not sure if Arcadia, Azura or Britannia come in to the jigsaw. Sorry if I have got this wrong, just what I have inferred Selbourne.

Azura and Britannia are still intended to go back into their planned winter itineraries with possible minor changes.

As I said the other day, any ship is at risk for the right price.

Brother and Sister in Law have transferred a cruise from Oceana June 2020 to the Canaries 2021 - they had paid in full.

We took them on them on their first cruise on Oceana last year and they fell in love.

Haven't told them the news yet ------

Any ideas what ship will do Canaries 2021 if Oceana doesn't?

If you say Ventura we would be so disappointed for them and would suggest they cancel

I guess we have to remember how complicated this is for P&O too. This is all pure conjecture on my part but let's say that Carnival Corp have put Oceana in phase two of the disposals, so at present there is no agreement but they are wanting rid of her. Once they have a buyer of some sort, before they can announce to the world that she is going, they need to have firm plans of what options are available to pax booked on her - they can't just say to pax " your cruise is cancelled and we don't know what we can offer you". The situation is probably made worse as they might still be trying to confirm altered itineraries for next year.

I'm no fan of P&O HQ but I can see that it may not be very easy for them when possibly dancing to Carnival Corp's tune.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I guess we have to remember how complicated this is for P&O too. This is all pure conjecture on my part but let's say that Carnival Corp have put Oceana in phase two of the disposals, so at present there is no agreement but they are wanting rid of her. Once they have a buyer of some sort, before they can announce to the world that she is going, they need to have firm plans of what options are available to pax booked on her - they can't just say to pax " your cruise is cancelled and we don't know what we can offer you". The situation is probably made worse as they might still be trying to confirm altered itineraries for next year.

I'm no fan of P&O HQ but I can see that it may not be very easy for them when possibly dancing to Carnival Corp's tune.

A very fair post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1