Shopping

cmpaula

I posted this question on the Tips section.....didn't there used to be a section for shopping in each port?  We are doing a Greece and Italy cruise as well as a Baltics cruise. 

14 minutes ago, cmpaula said:

I have been there but was looking for a way to search the ports specifically for shopping.  There used to be a link to shopping.  I appreciate your reply.

Google helps me with things like this. The touristy kinda places that some recommend is NOT our preference. We like to get away from the port areas themselves. When we did a Norwegian cruise last year SO many of the trinkets were made in China.

Edited by clo
  • Like 1

You are SO right!  I have an entire folder on my computer that has shopping tips from Cruise Critic and they have been so valuable.  Like you, I want authentic goods from the port I am visiting, not Chinese knock-offs or something I can get in the States.  It has been a while since I have been on Cruise Critic and the new format is taking me a bit to get used to.

• Like 1

google "port of...."I have done this for years... usually find site for the port, with all kinds of info.  Another search I have made is google "cruise port of ..."  YOu can also google youtube and port name.... you will find amazing videos... you can also do searches for youtube videos of major attractions.    I like to shop in ports as well, of I know what I want to shop for I also google the best...what ever i want to buy, name of city or port.  Hope this helps.  

• Like 1

I always appreciate any replies!  You are correct, google is our friend.  I’m glad I have a file I have kept for all the shopping tips that used to be on here.  I really was a fabulous thread.  Thank you and I hope you have a cruise on the books!

1 hour ago, cmpaula said:

I always appreciate any replies!  You are correct, google is our friend.  I’m glad I have a file I have kept for all the shopping tips that used to be on here.  I really was a fabulous thread.  Thank you and I hope you have a cruise on the books!

We generally do land trips but love local, authentic items. We have what we call upper and lower case ART )

On 6/18/2020 at 7:06 PM, pris993 said:

google "port of...."I have done this for years... usually find site for the port, with all kinds of info.  Another search I have made is google "cruise port of ..."  YOu can also google youtube and port name.... you will find amazing videos... you can also do searches for youtube videos of major attractions.    I like to shop in ports as well, of I know what I want to shop for I also google the best...what ever i want to buy, name of city or port.  Hope this helps.  

We once purchased some hand painted tiles in Mexico that are now our house numbers.  We actually bought two different sets of the three numbers so we can change them up from time to time.  So far the originals are still there after 6 years.   

I'm not really a shopper as such, but I do agree it is fun to have that kind of aim when visiting a place.  I'm not sure how to say it other than we enjoy the hunt.   Our hunt for the ceramic tile house numbers made the visit just more enjoyable.   Mrs Ldubs used to buy Swarovski figurines everywhere we went (when available).  Not locally made but just something to remember the visit.  She stopped when the curio became too full.  My SIL collects thimbles from the various places she visits.

Happy hunting!   

23 hours ago, ldubs said:

We once purchased some hand painted tiles in Mexico that are now our house numbers.  We actually bought two different sets of the three numbers so we can change them up from time to time.  So far the originals are still there after 6 years.   

I'm not really a shopper as such, but I do agree it is fun to have that kind of aim when visiting a place.  I'm not sure how to say it other than we enjoy the hunt.   Our hunt for the ceramic tile house numbers made the visit just more enjoyable.   Mrs Ldubs used to buy Swarovski figurines everywhere we went (when available).  Not locally made but just something to remember the visit.  She stopped when the curio became too full.  My SIL collects thimbles from the various places she visits.

Happy hunting!   

Mrs.66 used to buy Swarovski figurines everywhere we went other than on cruises .Other than tee shirts the only things I bring home for myself whether on a land or a sea trip is a very small amount of currency.

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Mrs.66 used to buy Swarovski figurines everywhere we went other than on cruises .Other than tee shirts the only things I bring home for myself whether on a land or a sea trip is a very small amount of currency.

Haha.  I think you and I had a T-shirt discussion several months ago.  My current favorite, reserved for special T-shirt occasions, is still my  Clippers #24 - World B. Free T-shirt!   It always draws a comment  when I wear it!  Usually from folks "our" age.    

Several years ago, we were on a private tour in the Shetland Islands.  As the tour was winding down and we were on our way back to the tender spot to return to the ship, I asked our tour guide about buying a souvenir.  I said I wanted something from Shetland, not something mass produced in China (or elsewhere).  He took me to a little wool shop, and I bought a sweater made from wool from Shetland sheep, hand knit by the lady in the shop.  It's so warm and beautiful.

• Like 1

I thank the Gods that my DW is not a shopper :).  Other then buying a few things for the grandchildren she is happy to walk past hundreds of shops without going in the door.  At our point in life (seniors) we spend a lot more time just throwing or giving away "junk" and hardly need to be replacing that stuff.

Hank

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ldubs said:

Haha.  I think you and I had a T-shirt discussion several months ago.  My current favorite, reserved for special T-shirt occasions, is still my  Clippers #24 - World B. Free T-shirt!   It always draws a comment  when I wear it!  Usually from folks "our" age.    

I believe I told you that Lloyd Free went to high school in the area that I lived in and I saw many of his games.

• Like 1

Couple years ago we were in St. Lucia. In one of the shops at the port shopping area we saw a T shirt that said Jackson Hole Wyoming on it that was for sale. We had a good laugh over it as we go to Jackson Hole Wyoming twice a year. 

Edited by davekathy

19 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Couple years ago we were in St. Lucia. In one of the shops at the port shopping area we saw a T shirt that said Jackson Hole Wyoming on it that was for sale. We had a good laugh over it as we go to Jackson Hole Wyoming twice a year. 

I saw possibly the same tee shirt in St.Lucia last year .We were never there but have friends who go there often .

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I thank the Gods that my DW is not a shopper :).  Other then buying a few things for the grandchildren she is happy to walk past hundreds of shops without going in the door.  At our point in life (seniors) we spend a lot more time just throwing or giving away "junk" and hardly need to be replacing that stuff.

Hank

haha, good for you guys.  I never understand driving around our neighborhood seeing two $50K cars sitting outside in the driveway because the garage is full of garage sale junk.   

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, ldubs said:

haha, good for you guys.  I never understand driving around our neighborhood seeing two $50K cars sitting outside in the driveway because the garage is full of garage sale junk.   

You would see this in my neighborhood as well.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 4:06 PM, lenquixote66 said:

a very small amount of currency.

Since we usually fly to/from our vacations, we can usually find a 'drop box' where we can donate local currency to a good cause. 

On 6/22/2020 at 10:36 AM, Hlitner said:

Hank

I've read more than one article aimed at us that says - you're kids don't want your stuff, get rid it. And we are with a lot. And we've told the kids in so many words to not keep a single thing unless they really really love it.

And our house (and a third - a little condo in Seattle) is filled to overflowing with things from trips. I'm guessing our living room alone has at least 20 things, from paintings to sculpture to you name it. It makes us happy to be reminded of trips.

Just now, clo said:

Since we usually fly to/from our vacations, we can usually find a 'drop box' where we can donate local currency to a good cause. 

I take home small denomination bank notes which I save. I also buy post cards and have close to 1000.In 1990 my late BIL took me to a rare post card auction.They were all cards that were sent through the mail.

17 hours ago, ldubs said:

the garage is full of garage sale junk.

No $50k cars but we can now park both our cars in the garage. We had two garage sales and will never to THAT again. We donate to our SPCA thrift store and one time literally filled up their whole truck.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, clo said:

I've read more than one article aimed at us that says - you're kids don't want your stuff, get rid it. And we are with a lot. And we've told the kids in so many words to not keep a single thing unless they really really love it.

And our house (and a third - a little condo in Seattle) is filled to overflowing with things from trips. I'm guessing our living room alone has at least 20 things, from paintings to sculpture to you name it. It makes us happy to be reminded of trips.

We have in our house my parents photo album with over 300 pictures.I have no idea who most of the people are but I am not throwing them out.