Cruising starting up again.

Sir PMP

Cruising has begun in Europe: river cruises, small cruise lines are cruising up to Norway and the Mediterranean is opening up too. Costa and MSC are hiring crew and will start cruising mid August. Let's hope we can get going here too soon.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sir PMP said:

Cruising has begun in Europe: river cruises, small cruise lines are cruising up to Norway and the Mediterranean is opening up too. Costa and MSC are hiring crew and will start cruising mid August. Let's hope we can get going here too soon.

That's wishful thinking.  As it stands, the US has by far more COVID than any other country.  It is my belief that Americans will be the last to get the thumbs up for international travel...  Well, we might be ahead of Cuba and North Korea, but we're not going to be able to go anywhere until this virus is under control.  JMHO

• Like 8

Roger that. And, I can foresee that cruising may begin while excluding passengers from the US and a number of other countries with poor Covid-fighting results.  I think the cruise lines' solvency only dictates which cruise lines we sail on in the future. To me the important thing is which countries show success or failure in defeating this pandemic. At this point, the US is not one showing success.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Taters said:

That's wishful thinking.  As it stands, the US has by far more COVID than any other country.  It is my belief that Americans will be the last to get the thumbs up for international travel...  Well, we might be ahead of Cuba and North Korea, but we're not going to be able to go anywhere until this virus is under control.  JMHO

Bolding mine.

Nor should we, and spread it around.

JMHO

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Taters said:

Agree.  We are presently a pariah nation.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, drsel said:

Not true.
there are millions in third world countries who would give anything to get US citizenship

I referenced only in regard to international tourism.

• Like 3

finally after waiting to reschedule our missed March 18th cruise to Hawaii.......we booked (at least for now) Feb. 2nd 2022, 25 days to Hawaii. I’m now about 75% confident that by Feb. 2022 Hawaii and México will be safe to visit.
Your thoughts?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HarveyCharles said:

finally after waiting to reschedule our missed March 18th cruise to Hawaii.......we booked (at least for now) Feb. 2nd 2022, 25 days to Hawaii. I’m now about 75% confident that by Feb. 2022 Hawaii and México will be safe to visit.
Your thoughts?

Not sure anybody is going to be able to give any sort of serious prediction about 18 months from now.

8 minutes ago, HarveyCharles said:

Your thoughts?

Personally, I think we'll get there well before early '22... and least I'm hoping we do. We currently have a cruise to Mexico booked for next March, and I'm fairly confident (at least at this point) that we will sail.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HarveyCharles said:

Your thoughts?

I would say 95%..

21 hours ago, Taters said:

I’ve been wondering if that’s the real reason HAL’s  fleet just happens to be outside US waters. The restart of international cruising and when those of us from North America are allowed to cruise will likely be very different timelines. It would be financially advantageous to have ‘clean’ ships geographically positioned to take advantage of the Tasman Bubble and the Asian or European equivalent when the time comes.

It would also partly explain why the 2020 GWV luggage can’t just stay on the Amsterdam until she comes back to Fort Lauderdale. There’s no room for our luggage if there’s a chance she may be taking on new passengers without returning first.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957

I think it is very hard to say when cruise ships will be back in service. They need a home port, PAX need to be able to feel safe with cruising and fly (if needed).  Ports of call need to except the ships. and the cruise lines need to get their crew back on board.  I do wonder if they (all or some) of they crew/staff will want to come back on board the ships.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I’ve been wondering if that’s the real reason HAL’s  fleet just happens to be outside US waters.

Another reason to keep the fleet in these various locations is to make it easier to pick up their crews before cruising begins. That way the could transport the crews via ship to the first turnaround port for passenger travel and not have to fly the crews overseas.  I think organizing the re-assembly of a ships multinational crew will be a very big undertaking for all of the cruise lines.

• Like 3

I think it is very hard to say when cruise ships will be back in service. They need a home port, PAX need to be able to feel safe with cruising and fly (if needed).  Ports of call need to except the ships. and the cruise lines need to get their crew back on board.  I do wonder if they (all or some) of they crew/staff will want to come back on board the ships.
the crew will definitely want to come back, considering that the income they get is much more than what they can earn in their own countries, doing the exact same work for the same number of hours WITHOUT free food and free accommodation.

Also in many countries, income earned in foreign exchange is tax free, while income earned in their own country is fully taxable.
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, HarveyCharles said:

Your thoughts?

We’ve been waiting to reschedule from March 18th Cruise, too. The date you’ve booked sounds great, but I will not pay HAL cash for anything at this point. Not after it took three months to get our refund just on port tax and airline fees.

I Don’t have a crystal ball, but think that paying for a cash deposit could be “throwing good money after bad.” We already are wondering how we’ll be able to use a big future cruise deposit for a possible trip in 2021 while the future of cruising already looks so shaky into next year.

On 6/21/2020 at 2:50 PM, KroozNut said:

Personally, I think we'll get there well before early '22... and least I'm hoping we do. We currently have a cruise to Mexico booked for next March, and I'm fairly confident (at least at this point) that we will sail.

I like your optimism, I have a cruise scheduled in March to the caribbean as well, I am so hoping we can go, but if not, we have a back up plan to push it off til 2022............................time will tell.........

• Like 2

1 hour ago, doone said:

I like your optimism, I have a cruise scheduled in March to the caribbean as well, I am so hoping we can go, but if not, we have a back up plan to push it off til 2022............................time will tell.........

Doone, if they are not cruising by 2021, I don't think the companies can stay afloat.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Himself said:

Doone, if they are not cruising by 2021, I don't think the companies can stay afloat.

Himself, totally agree, I am curious as to what cruising will look like before I decide to go also............

• Like 2