Ships for sale, anyone want to buy a ship?

shof515

I went out and measured the garage since I thought I might use one of the ships for fish trolling.  But the ship is a bit too big.  Good price, however.  ..................................  What do you mean that was a bad joke?  I am now thinking of expanding the garage.

2 hours ago, jsglow said:

Okay folks, here's the reality.  CCL can list any ships for sale it wants.  That doesn't mean they will be sold.  Take Sunrise for a moment.  If someone comes up with something approaching $350MM, she'll be gone.  If not, she sails on as a Carnival ship indefinitely or perhaps gets transferred to another family line.  The Fantasy has literally been 'for sale' for better part of a decade.  She still sailed every week up until the shutdown.  Now some ships may end up in mothballs during a slow reopening but it's not going to be a ship they spent $200MM on in the last 18 months.

The real question is whether some of the ships in the line are ultimately destined for salvage.  THAT becomes a real possibility with what will assuredly be over capacity in the market.  There are some obvious choices mostly to include the least upgraded Fantasy Class ships as well as the yet to be retrofitted Victory assuming the shipyard contract can be cancelled without massive financial ramifications.

Unfortunately, you may well be right.

Some of us have been warning since March that more than a few cruise ships will be heading for Alang.

For what it's worth, Inspiration and Elation are listed for sale here, based on the years and photos:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1996/cruise-ship--2054-passenger-3466280/ - the buffet area photo is from the Inspiration and the last photo doesn't have the ship's name edited out.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1998/cruise-ship-2052-2632--stock-no-s2158-3024019/ - the piano bar and buffet area photos are from the Elation

1 hour ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Unfortunately, you may well be right.

Some of us have been warning since March that more than a few cruise ships will be heading for Alang.

The “some of us” you refer to, has spread much venom, thankfully almost totally false. 

51 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Big difference in being sold and for sale.  

I think this is correct.

Prob any ship on the planet can be purchased for the right price - The real question is who is buying at a time like this?

The real victims her may be the new builds that have not been started yet - 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

I think this is correct.

Prob any ship on the planet can be purchased for the right price - The real question is who is buying at a time like this?

Correct - one line after another has cited deep cuts in capex as part of the strategy to survive the year.  The companies are in no position to order another round of shinier & sleeker while putting it on the credit card.

The yards will have to allow delayed delivery .... but even that's problematic. CCL's  latest financials were hideous, and conceding August & September promises more pain ahead. There's simply no rational, scientific evidence of good times ahead for the cruise industry. 

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Yup, anyone can put something up for sale. Not all of these items will have a buyer. Personally, I’m not in the market for a cruise ship right now.

Edited by xDisconnections

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

1 hour ago, Stick93 said:

I think this is correct.

Nevermind. I guess they are all for sale then.

Over the years their have been threads along this line, not limited to Carnival.  Like other have said these most times are non-starters.  Just testing the waters to see if there may be some interest.

8 hours ago, richfret said:

I went out and measured the garage since I thought I might use one of the ships for fish trolling.  But the ship is a bit too big.  Good price, however.  ..................................  What do you mean that was a bad joke?  I am now thinking of expanding the garage.

The hard part is finding a trolling motor long enough to reach the water.

• Haha 2

On 6/22/2020 at 1:05 PM, shof515 said:

As pointed out by previous posters, this doesnt mean they are selling them. There is a difference between selling and sold. I'm surprised they haven't corrected you yet. 

Ok, so I may have to have a garage sale to raise the money, but I'm thinking the Sunrise would fit in my backyard.  Most water around is our small backyard pool, but I'm sure we could work something out.  Seriously we are scheduled to sail on her as ab2b next September.  Getting tired of cancelling and rebooking.  We have the same room booked for both weeks.  Would hate to lose that if we had to transfer to another ship.

On 6/23/2020 at 7:30 AM, jsglow said:

The real question is whether some of the ships in the line are ultimately destined for salvage.  THAT becomes a real possibility with what will assuredly be over capacity in the market. 

Exactly. That's where they give cave and beach it in India and walk away.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MauiWowie57 said:

Exactly. That's where they give cave and beach it in India and walk away.

That is hard to watch. They did a whole documentary on Alang(sic) and how they beach the ships on the beach and take them apart. Very sad. 

Sad but that is what eventually happens if there's no buyer; and can't imagine any other line would be in a buying mode at present. They could attempt to mothball and wait for demand to return, but the major issue right now is cash flow. All I can do is book and roll over unused FCCs (which I keep doing) but in accounting parlance, that's "unearned revenue."  Eg, eventually they have to put us all on a ship to report that as earnings and not just "cash on hand." Besides, I think most of us in CC cruise at least once a year (if not more often...retirement goal: Live in S/FL around Venice Beach so I can quickly drive to either Tampa, Miami, or even CC in a day to Pack & Go). 

Sadly I do believe we're all in for a massive 2nd wave (disclaimer; I work for Defense Health Agency) and I'm halfway expecting my Christmas on the Horizon to be cancelled. 

P&O Cruises (subsidiary of Carnival Corporation) sold Oriana to a Chinese cruise company last year. It was built in the 80’s and had a very loyal customer base. Maybe more ships will be bought rather than sold for scrap!

• Like 1