How To Find a TA in Europe?

Hola -

I recently moved from Florida to Spain. In Florida, I used a "big box TA," and it was "okay" for us (nothing fantastic).

Here in Spain, though, I cannot seem to find any TAs - are they just not a thing (I can't seem to find any on Google)? Can I use a TA from another country in Europe? Can I still use a US-based TA?

I want to book a cruise for 2021 on the Odyssey here in Europe, but I figure before booking on my own, I should explore what options I have available with a TA.

Any advice is appreciated. 🙂 

1 minute ago, dani negreanu said:

YES. I'm using one based in Florida, and I don't even live in the States.

Nice! Are you able to get EU rates with US-TA perks (OBC, etc.)?

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

It is rare that the booking terms or the prices are better than US in other market - stick with a US TA.

Interesting! All of the cruises I am looking at seem to be cheaper when booked on the Spanish platform as opposed to the US one. Perhaps it is a result of the times we are living in. I can't stick with the old US TA because said TA was a perk of using an organization in the US that I no longer have membership to. That said, it is time to find a new one. :,)

11 minutes ago, Megtheblackbelt said:

All of the cruises I am looking at seem to be cheaper when booked on the Spanish platform as opposed to the US one.

In the current climate anything is possible, I was mainly talking about past trends. I wouldn't book anything outside of final payment after sailings resume.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Megtheblackbelt said:

Hola -

I recently moved from Florida to Spain. In Florida, I used a "big box TA," and it was "okay" for us (nothing fantastic).

Here in Spain, though, I cannot seem to find any TAs - are they just not a thing (I can't seem to find any on Google)? Can I use a TA from another country in Europe? Can I still use a US-based TA?

I want to book a cruise for 2021 on the Odyssey here in Europe, but I figure before booking on my own, I should explore what options I have available with a TA.

Hi,

Because of EU law you can book with a TA anywhere in the EU. Booking with a TA on this side of the pond generally means you will not be able to take advantage of US perks such as re-pricing. On the other hand, you arguably have more consumer rights. Also, know that as far as payments are concerned, your payment is generally made to the TA, who settles up with the cruise line every so often depending on their mutual agreement, so you are not paying the cruise line directly, as I believe often happens with US TAs.

Under CC rules TA names can't be mentioned on the boards but in Spain there is a major department store (think "the English Court") which has its own travel agency chain that is generally highly regarded.They have several in Barcelona including one located in their big store in the Plaza de Cataluña.

Hope this helps. :classic_smile:

2 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Hi,

Because of EU law you can book with a TA anywhere in the EU. Booking with a TA on this side of the pond generally means you will not be able to take advantage of US perks such as re-pricing. On the other hand, you arguably have more consumer rights. Also, know that as far as payments are concerned, your payment is generally made to the TA, who settles up with the cruise line every so often depending on their mutual agreement, so you are not paying the cruise line directly, as I believe often happens with US TAs.

Under CC rules TA names can't be mentioned on the boards but in Spain there is a major department store (think "the English Court") which has its own travel agency chain that is generally highly regarded.They have several in Barcelona including one located in their big store in the Plaza de Cataluña.

Hope this helps. :classic_smile:

Ahhh, this was so helpful! Thank you so much. I live right outside of BCN, so this is fantastic. Thank you again! 🙂 

Just now, Megtheblackbelt said:

Ahhh, this was so helpful! Thank you so much. I live right outside of BCN, so this is fantastic. Thank you again! 🙂 

My pleasure.

If you check their website they have a find an agency tab which will list all of the agencies in the immediate Barcelona area. There may be one closer to you than the big one in the centre. :classic_smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Megtheblackbelt said:

Hola -

Until the cruise lines resume sailings, I would not give the cruise lines another penny in deposits.  They may also change ships and itineraries for sailings when they resume sailing.  I doubt that you'll have a problem booking the Odyssey for 2021 when they resume sailings.  There will be plenty of sales so be sure you book with someone that will allow repricing.

• Like 2

Until the cruise lines resume sailings, I would not give the cruise lines another penny in deposits.  They may also change ships and itineraries for sailings when they resume sailing.  I doubt that you'll have a problem booking the Odyssey for 2021 when they resume sailings.  There will be plenty of sales so be sure you book with someone that will allow repricing.

I think everybody is following your advice, because on the Cruises I am looking at in April and May 2021 not a single cabin has been booked since 15th April 2020

there have already been 4 price drops and right now the prices are dirt cheap, but still no buyers.

3 minutes ago, drsel said:

I think everybody is following your advice, because on the Cruises I am looking at in April and May 2021 not a single cabin has been booked since 15th April 2020

there have already been 4 price drops and right now the prices are dirt cheap, but still no buyers.

I wish the prices would drop on my 2021 cruises.  We have some less common cruises booked through the Panama Canal and a TA to Iceland and the prices have only increased since we booked.  If we weren't looking forward to these specific itineraries, we would probably cancel and rebook later.

6 hours ago, Megtheblackbelt said:

Nice! Are you able to get EU rates with US-TA perks (OBC, etc.)?

I live in Israel, which is not EU.

When booking with US-TA based, u get the terms of US customers law. After reading endless posts about the pros and cons of booking within EU vs US, me thinks that US customers (and those like me, who choose to book outside my country) get the longer end of the stick"😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Megtheblackbelt said:

There is a very large on line agency in Germany which many use. A perk is final payment is only 30 days out.  You may need to scan the sea to find them x

• Like 2

6 hours ago, drsel said:

But Carnival smartly made the deposits non-refundable, because its an early saver rate.

so if I bite the bullet I cannot cancel

And even crazier carnival prices have gone up up up as everyone tries to rebook with all the obc offered. I have only one left on carnival with $800 obc sure I'd like to keep. On average prices for a basic inside on carnival at least higher than rcl. You are paying higher and higher prices to rebook and keep that obc.

And even crazier carnival prices have gone up up up as everyone tries to rebook with all the obc offered. I have only one left on carnival with $800 obc sure I'd like to keep. On average prices for a basic inside on carnival at least higher than rcl. You are paying higher and higher prices to rebook and keep that obc.

I am only worried if Carnival will run out of cash or still be in business after 12 months

3 hours ago, little britain said:

There is a very large on line agency in Germany which many use. A perk is final payment is only 30 days out.  You may need to scan the sea to find them x

.....If you are scanning the sea, you will only find their little sister, and she don’t know everything!

........if you are looking for a Kreuz which Fahrt through a Berater you will find the big sister that know everything......

Big sister even knows smaller companies like Norwegian Costal Line which is about to open for cruises from Norway to Svalbard.

6 hours ago, spunks said:

can you book directly with the cruise line? We never use a TA.

Strictly speaking, because EU law requires it to be an option, someone living in the EU, as is the OP's case, can book directly with the cruise line through a branch office in any of the EU member states. However, in some cases, the cruise line may not have a branch office in the customer's country of residence so the customer would have to be comfortable with domiciling their booking in a country other than that of their residence. For example, I have in the past used the UK website to book direct with Royal.

Here in Portugal, however, Royal has no branch office. Instead they are represented by a travel agent that in turn takes bookings from other travel agents. This means that the Portuguese "Royal Caribbean" website is not actually Royal's but the agent's and the phone number takes you to the agent's office and not to anyone who works directly for Royal. So if I wanted to domicile a booking here, I would not be able to book directly with the cruise line.

If you live in Europe and want to book direct on Royal's US website, you need to be able to supply a US address, as it will not let you complete the booking with a European address.

• Like 1