Considering NCL for birthday cruise next January

DCGuy64

Hi! My wife and I are planning to do a cruise next January to celebrate my 57th birthday, and we're considering NCL for it, along with Carnival and Princess. We've never cruised with Norwegian before. (side note: my first ever cruise was with Norwegian almost 30 years ago, but things were different then and they don't even have the ship anymore, plus it was with immediate family). We aren't loyal to any one line, having cruised with Carnival, RCI, Costa and MSC previously. What can we expect from NCL relative to the other lines? Our priorities are essentially:

1. Meeting interesting crew members and other guests (we are both very talkative and outgoing)

2. Having good food and drinks (we both love pizza, my wife's vegetarian, I love wine, cocktails, champagne and coffee (esp. espresso and cappuccino), she loves chocolate and ice cream-I love everything except seafood, but even that if it's fresh)

3. I like to work out and relax in the spa

4. We enjoy excursions on ports of call (we're more cultural pursuit types than beachgoers)

5. We don't have kids so it's just us 2, so don't need kid-friendly stuff, BUT I'm a kid at heart and would absolutely do the go karts and water slides

6. Wife loves to dance, and I do, too. We also enjoy trivia contests, chilling in a bar and some relaxing by the pool-ideally in an adults-only area. But we're not 24/7 partiers.

7. We don't gamble or buy stuff at the shops

We're considering the Norwegian Joy, which I understand does NOT have a spa. That's disappointing, I'm not gonna lie. However, our travel dates are roughly January 2 or 3 through the 9th-10th, and the Encore (which I really liked from the videos I saw) is doing a western Caribbean itinerary that visits 2 of the same ports (Roatan and Costa Maya) we just went to last December on another cruise, and also Cozumel which we visited in October 2018-other NCL ships cruising at the same time call at ports that we've also been to previously. The Joy is going to places we either haven't been to at all (Puerto Plata, Tortola and Great Stirrup Cay) or have only visited a long time ago (St Thomas, in 2013). We're interested in hearing from seasoned NCL cruisers about what to expect onboard and especially how NCL compares to the other 2 cruises we're considering (Carnival Magic and Caribbean Princess).

Thanks in advance and please feel free to ask questions. (also with COVID-19 we may not even GO on this cruise or it could get cancelled-that's always a caveat)

5 minutes ago, ronbe65 said:

Hi DCGuy64,

I have plenty to share with you.

1. Meeting interesting crew members and other guests (we are both very talkative and outgoing)

Same as any cruise ship.

2. Having good food and drinks (we both love pizza, my wife's vegetarian, I love wine, cocktails, champagne and coffee (esp. espresso and cappuccino), she loves chocolate and ice cream-I love everything except seafood, but even that if it's fresh)

Chances to have good food (real food) are far above the Magic, and surpasses the Caribbean Princess if you include extra charge venues in your list (this is a must). Major difference vs other cruise lines: specialty dining is not an addition to "included food", it's a regular way on NCL. Again: MUST. "Included food" is an addition.

Select NCL ships offer best spa experience at sea.

Best Spa on Cruise Ships

4. We enjoy excursions on ports of call (we're more cultural pursuit types than beachgoers)

NCL is not the best cruise lines as far as itineraries are concerned. Their Caribben itineraries are often limited to three port instead of four.

Best Cruises in the Caribbean 2020

5. We don't have kids so it's just us 2, so don't need kid-friendly stuff, BUT I'm a kid at heart and would absolutely do the go karts and water slides

Go karts  (IMHO) was rather boring experience on the Bliss with constant slow & stop & wait. 

Great water slides are on Breakaway/Getaway/Escape.

The slides on the Bliss, etc. are the most ridiculous at sea where people stuck from time to time, while others have to wait in line.

People Are Getting Stuck on Water Slides

6. Wife loves to dance, and I do, too. We also enjoy trivia contests, chilling in a bar and some relaxing by the pool-ideally in an adults-only area. But we're not 24/7 partiers.

There are no adult only areas (like the forward "swim against current" pool on select Princess ships) on NCL mega ships. Dancing will likely fall victim of the post pandemic restrictions.

What we need to be prepared for when cruises resume

No problem

A significant difference vs Magic & Caribbean Princess: these two ships are fully egalitarian (no class division). NCL features a ship-within-a-ship concept (a separate "first class" enclave called "Haven"). Depending on the ship, the presence of the Haven  may or may not limit cruising experience for non-haven guests (96%).

It differs from "no problem at all" for Breakaway original layout to insane nonsense on the Encore.

Ships to consider: Breakaway, Getaway, Escape, Bliss.

I would skip the Joy (no spa = no NCL)

Encore: I would avoid it like a plague.

Please see this comparison of NCL ships. It's unbelievable.

Half Capacity and King Midas Golden Touch

Want to see NCL dining options from A to Z? This long video is an ultimate NCL Dining Tour. (pre-covid)

So.. you have a lot to do for your homework.

Enjoy!

Happy cruising!

Thank you so much for your reply, it is extremely helpful, I especially appreciate the links and will check them all out. Again, thank you very much!

4 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

we're considering NCL for it, along with Carnival and Princess. We've never cruised with Norwegian before. (side note: my first ever cruise was with Norwegian almost 30 years ago, but things were different then and they don't even have the ship anymore, plus it was with immediate family). We aren't loyal to any one line, having cruised with Carnival, RCI, Costa and MSC previously.

Hi DCGuy64,

Just a quick "chime in" from me. I like you have cruised with NCL only once on one of their old ships (Sunward out of Miami) "back in the day". I used to be a big Carnival guy (cruised multple times with Carnival including the Carnival Ecstacy twice and the brand new Carnival Dream on a 12 day Med cruise out of Civitavecchia, Italy).

For my next cruises, I was looking at sailing solo, so I liked NCL's solo program (solo cabins, solo lounge). But then this insidious virus hit and now we're at "all stop" (to coin a nautical phrase). I've also sailed with Princess on the now famous (for the initial COVID 19 breakout outs on a cruise ship) Diamond Princess on an Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver, BC.

I know I've kind of rambled on and haven't been much help with comparing NCL with Carnival and Princess. BUT, maybe someone on this thread can help me with this, there is a traveling couple that I believe to be travel agents who do videos and one of their videos is a comparison of NCL with Carnival. I apologize  that I can't remember their names or the name of their company or video.

My fingers are crossed for you that cruising will have resumed by next January and that you'll be able to celebrate your 57th birthday on a Norweigan/Carnival/Princess cruise ship!

Edited by farmersfight
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Hi! My wife and I are planning to do a cruise next January to celebrate my 57th birthday, and we're considering NCL for it, along with Carnival and Princess. We've never cruised with Norwegian before. (side note: my first ever cruise was with Norwegian almost 30 years ago, but things were different then and they don't even have the ship anymore, plus it was with immediate family). We aren't loyal to any one line, having cruised with Carnival, RCI, Costa and MSC previously. What can we expect from NCL relative to the other lines? Our priorities are essentially:

We're considering the Norwegian Joy, which I understand does NOT have a spa. That's disappointing, I'm not gonna lie. However, our travel dates are roughly January 2 or 3 through the 9th-10th, and the Encore (which I really liked from the videos I saw) is doing a western Caribbean itinerary that visits 2 of the same ports (Roatan and Costa Maya) we just went to last December on another cruise, and also Cozumel which we visited in October 2018-other NCL ships cruising at the same time call at ports that we've also been to previously. The Joy is going to places we either haven't been to at all (Puerto Plata, Tortola and Great Stirrup Cay) or have only visited a long time ago (St Thomas, in 2013). We're interested in hearing from seasoned NCL cruisers about what to expect onboard and especially how NCL compares to the other 2 cruises we're considering (Carnival Magic and Caribbean Princess).

Thanks in advance and please feel free to ask questions. (also with COVID-19 we may not even GO on this cruise or it could get cancelled-that's always a caveat)

It's too bad you are relegated to only those dates.  The NCL Jade is a smaller ship, with a spa, but without the water slides, etc. that leaves from Tampa on January 3rd (hopefully as we are also on this cruise), but it is a 12 day cruise with 7 ports (port intensive in the middle).  Itinerary is good, comes with the 4 night Speciality Dining and other perks as well. 

• Like 1

@sykimball1498 Thanks so much for your reply. The Jade does look like a nice ship! I wouldn't mind the 12-day duration (far from it), but the ports it visits are repeats for us (except Puerto Plata) and since it's my birthday, we're trying to see new places. We've been to most of the other ports in the last 5 years.

@farmersfight Yes for me it was the MS Starward in 1992. I think NCL sold it a while back.

At any rate, we're not 100% sure about ANY vacation plans at this point due to the pandemic. So we'll take what we can get. ☺️

@DCGuy64

A few thoughts. Background: we've sailed on almost every line, and aren't loyal to one. 

1. Crew: NCL tends to be a bit more functional and impersonal. Other lines tend to go a bit more above and beyond to ensure passenger happiness... NCL crew is more take it or leave it. There's not a lot of learning your name by NCL crew.  Passengers who like talking: Carnival far (FAR) exceeds most lines in this regard. Their passenger base is incredibly extroverted, and loves to chat, socialize, talk to strangers, etc. On Carnival, I've danced nights away with strangers, and had strangers plop down at my table in the lido restaurant just to chat and offer life advice. This doesn't really happen on any other line. 
  2. NCL food is.... eh. MDR food compared to Carnival leaves something to be desired. Carnival tends to be adventurous with seasoning and preparation in the MDR. I think of the sea day brunch on Carnival: huevos rancheros, steak and eggs, avocado toast, Craig Claiborne's corn flake French toast... NCL is eggs how you want them with sides. The specialty restaurants on NCL are markedly better than the MDR, but can be hit or midd. Still, if we're doing an NCL cruise we make a point to book them every single night, as the MDR isn't a great experience compared to other lines. Re: pizza? Princess pizza is spectacularly good, and Carnival is actually quite great. You won't find anything remotely as edible on NCL. The beverage service on NCL has improved dramatically in the past several years... on my first NCL cruise in 2013 they were using bottom shelf liquor as their house pour (almost incomprehensible). It's improved a lot since then, but because so many people have the drinks packages on NCL, it's more a mass service operation than anything craft cocktail. I'd describe the wine on NCL included in the beverage package as not something really want to drink as a wine drinker. 
  3. The fitness centers spas on the newer NCL ships are great, especially the thermal suites and water features, which rival the best health clubs in Vegas in some regards (co-ed though). 
  4. Excursions on NCL are very typical cruise ship, but tend to be more expensive than other lines (for the same excursions). There's definitely no Carnival/HAL/Princess prince guarantee, where if you find the same excursion independently prices less they refund you 110% of the difference in OBC on NCL. 

The rest depends on your ship (Bliss: amazing water slides and observation lounge) and itinerary (Carnival has a hopping disco most places, NCL ships can be hit or miss depending on where you're headed). 

• Like 2

OP...I’m looking at the JOY for January, too.  Good pricing on those right now.  My last cruise was on the Carnival Vista. But, I’ve also sailed NCL, Royal, Celebrity, HAL and MSC.

I’ve sailed NCL the most, however.  

Find a bar you like, and make friends with the bartender (easy to do as their engaging).  You’ll usually find some “regulars” to engage with at the bars.  I particularly like the bars at the WaterFront....great place to while away the hours shooting the breeze with passengers and crew while watching the water go by.

Dancing.....Spice H20 turns into an outdoor club at night where they’ll have a band or DJ.  Plus, they have parties up there, too where you can dance.  They have a music group in the Atrium most nights, where you can dance, also.  I even think the Manhattan Room has a dance area which bands play at while you’re dining.  Atrium bar is usually a good place to mix and mingle, too.

Gym is typical of a cruise ship.  On the newer ships, it has the best equipment complete with free weights, stationary bikes, rowing machines and “nautilus” type equipment.  Joy does not have a spa, per se.  It does have a very nice locker room that I’ve seen pics of, though.

Food....tough to fault food on any cruise line.  If you can’t find something you like, the problem probably isn’t the cruise line.  I get a couple of free specialty dining offers included as I’m Platinum on NCL.  Plus, they’re still offering 2 or 3 specialty dining packages on most cruises and cruise categories.  That said, I’ve also enjoyed the free MDRs like Savor.  PIzza?  I’ve yet to find good pizza on any cruise ship.  I’ve had some that wasn’t terrible (Vista) but none I would consider good.  But, if you’ve been drinking all day/night and are looking for something to tie you over until the next day, O’Sheehans is open 24/7 with a variety of bar food.

My particular favorite is Le Bistro, but they’re all good!

I’ve felt this for a while, but I consider NCL to have the best entertainment out of all the cruise lines I’ve sailed....that includes Allure of the Seas, Vista, Divina, and all the other cruises I’ve taken.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the helpful information. We ended up booking a mini-suite with balcony, and took advantage of the "Free at Sea" offers, so we got specialty dining, Internet, excursions and the unlimited beverage package. I've been watching a lot of video tours of the Norwegian Joy and am really impressed with it. I'm particularly looking forward to the Waterfront and the Observation Gallery. Of course, all of this assumes that cruising will have resumed by then, so fingers crossed. Thanks again!

24 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Thank you so much for the helpful information. We ended up booking a mini-suite with balcony, and took advantage of the "Free at Sea" offers, so we got specialty dining, Internet, excursions and the unlimited beverage package. I've been watching a lot of video tours of the Norwegian Joy and am really impressed with it. I'm particularly looking forward to the Waterfront and the Observation Gallery. Of course, all of this assumes that cruising will have resumed by then, so fingers crossed. Thanks again!

Congratulations!  I hope you get to cruise.  January seems like a long way off and a lot can happen between now and then.  The challenge for you will be your final payment date.  I'm assuming it's in October.  If there are no signs of a restart, you will be in a tough position.  At that point, I'd probably cancel and book a land vacay at a nice all inclusive resort. 

We have a March 2021 booked on Oceania.  Final payment is due in December.  If there are no signs of a restart of any kind, we will likely cancel rather than have money tied up in refund limbo.  Wishing you good luck and happy birthday!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Congratulations!  I hope you get to cruise.  January seems like a long way off and a lot can happen between now and then.  The challenge for you will be your final payment date.  I'm assuming it's in October.  If there are no signs of a restart, you will be in a tough position.  At that point, I'd probably cancel and book a land vacay at a nice all inclusive resort. 

We have a March 2021 booked on Oceania.  Final payment is due in December.  If there are no signs of a restart of any kind, we will likely cancel rather than have money tied up in refund limbo.  Wishing you good luck and happy birthday!

Thank you! Actually, the final payment date is in September, the 5th if I'm not mistaken. So it gives us a couple of months to see what happens. I'm not really worried, not at all, in fact. We were supposed to cruise in Europe last month but that got canceled, we got our airline tickets refunded and opted for the cruise line's 125% future cruise credit (which converts to a cash refund if not used by December 2021). I'm fairly certain NCL would do something similar if they have to cancel our cruise, anyhow. We're taking a "wait and see" attitude when it comes to traveling right now. We have trips tentatively scheduled for August and December in Europe. Thank you very much for the good luck and birthday wishes. That's very kind of you. 😊

January 2-9 on any cruise line means there will be lots of kids (under normal non covid circumstances).    Schools don't go right back after the New Year, if you're wanting to avoid kids, being that you don't have kids yourself, I would wait at least one more week into January.   

NCL does a great job with their spa's and if that's something you like, I'd pick a different ship than the Joy.   Check out the Getaway class.    Also check out the spa suites.   Or go really wild and check out the Haven Spa suites!   

NCL does not do a good job at all with pizza.  That's general consensus.   

If you aren't sun worshiper people and you are more culturally interested.   You might check out Princess.   They do a much better job with intellectual speakers, daytime topics and talks.    NCL isn't for the intellectual like Princess tries hard to accommodate.   

16 minutes ago, Vyhanek said:

January 2-9 on any cruise line means there will be lots of kids (under normal non covid circumstances).    Schools don't go right back after the New Year, if you're wanting to avoid kids, being that you don't have kids yourself, I would wait at least one more week into January.   

NCL does a great job with their spa's and if that's something you like, I'd pick a different ship than the Joy.   Check out the Getaway class.    Also check out the spa suites.   Or go really wild and check out the Haven Spa suites!   

NCL does not do a good job at all with pizza.  That's general consensus.   

If you aren't sun worshiper people and you are more culturally interested.   You might check out Princess.   They do a much better job with intellectual speakers, daytime topics and talks.    NCL isn't for the intellectual like Princess tries hard to accommodate.   

Thank you! I appreciate your comments. We actually have a Princess cruise booked for next April and are hoping that goes as planned. Princess's offerings for my birthday weren't as enticing. This will be our first NCL cruise so we are looking forward to it. Food is extremely subjective so I don't know about the pizza (our taste in pizza is very different from others, I've found). I'm really excited about the different restaurants. I've already started looking at the sample menus and there's lots to choose from. Thanks again.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 3:15 PM, EllieinNJ said:

We are on the January 3 Getaway NY to Miami.  Doubt this will happen.

Yeah January cruises from the US are looking questionable.  I wouldn't be sending any cruise line cash even for a deposit at this point.

I've sailed Royal, Princess, Carnival and took my first NCL cruise in March (before everything shut down). I went in with an open mind (we cruise a lot), and I have to say it was probably in the top 5 of our cruises ever. Best food out of any cruise we've been on. The spa was phenomenal. The entertainment was great and the atmosphere was just what we like. We sailed on the Getaway, which I know wasn't what you mentioned, but I think the Encore would be my choice over the Joy, just from the overall ship experience and from the reviews I've read. I think you will have a fantastic time.

• Like 1

IMO La Cucina has good pizza and you can eat out on the waterfront. Lots of restaurants on the Joy and lots of delicious menu selections. If you tell them it's your birthday you'll get cake and the happy birthday song wherever you are dining. I really hope NCL ships will be sailing again in January. The joys of cruising are so missed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eggs2Go said:

IMO La Cucina has good pizza and you can eat out on the waterfront. Lots of restaurants on the Joy and lots of delicious menu selections. If you tell them it's your birthday you'll get cake and the happy birthday song wherever you are dining. I really hope NCL ships will be sailing again in January. The joys of cruising are so missed.

Thanks for the information! 

7 minutes ago, yankees111 said:

Hopefully a vaccine will be available by January for the Chinese virus and you actually get to cruise.

Not relevant to the topic. I’m only interested in information about the ship, thanks. 

Just something to consider  about a January cruise. 

Today, Broadway theaters have announced they will be closed until early January. Producers and theater managers have not come up with a plan that would keep theater goers watching a play for about two hours  safe from Covid-19 contamination. With this in mind,how are cruise lines going to plan for passengers health and safety on a ship for a good number of days ?

Florida’s Covid-19 case numbers have recently spiked. If this trend continues, cruise lines would,most likely,be reluctant to sail from any FL ports,exposing their crews and ships to contamination.

You noted that you are taking a wait and see attitude and that is a good attitude. If it was me, I would not book any NCL excursions or meal/drink packages at this time. Better that the funds were in my pocket,not NCL’s.

Wishing you good days.

I think I will ask the moderators to close this thread. I initially posted it to elicit feedback about NCL vs a couple of other lines. We’ve made the booking & the thread is starting to veer off into a COVID-19 direction. There are enough of those already. Thanks to all who’ve posted. 

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Not relevant to the topic. I’m only interested in information about the ship, thanks. 

Broadway cancelled all shows into January 2021. If I were you I would be looking into cruises that depart in 2022.