Carnival "Shock" Absorber !!!

jetsfan58

Well,  I work in a hospital lab so I've been working A LOT of overtime doing "those" tests. So aside from paying down some debt and doing the social distance dance, been experimenting in the kitchen with a variety of culinary cooking. Sicilian, Moroccan, Asian, Portuguese among others. One land vacation and one cruise cancelled. Holding out hope for the November cruise. I keep looking at cruise schedules and itineraries for 2021 and 2022 and just can't wait until we can get going again.

• Like 1

Nice thread, funny I just posted on another thread how much we are jonesing for a cruse.  WE have had 4 cancelled so far (including one that was to start on 3/14, the day often the shutdown) and currently our next scheduled one is 1/23/2021 on the Mardi Gras which May be shaky.  We normally have 4 to 6 on the books and currently have 2.  Living in Florida, we have the ability to jump on some as soon as we think they are really going to sail (we have over $5K in pending credits).  That said on more on point, we are supposed to be flying to Beaches T & C on 7/23.  It was supposed to leave on 7/20 and then Turks delayed their opening a couple days.  Yesterday, our airfare got cancelled.  We scrambled and found some more.  Still waiting on what mandates the islands will put out that we will have to meet.  Hoping this does not fall thru.  Hoping against hope that our butts will be on a Carnival ship  before year end.  

That said, we are discussing getting back into camping and buying a motor home......

• Like 1

Nothing but researching more cruises lol. We have one booked for December, somewhat hopeful, but researching alternative options for next year just in case. Also planning ahead for our 10 year anniversary in 2022. I had my heart set on a Havana cabana but I'm not loving the itineraries that are available for those ships so just gonna wait and see all the available options before deciding....which means I'm stalking the site frequently lol.

• Like 1

My family rented a house at the beach for five nights and spent as much money as we do for a 7 night cruise.  I had to cook.  We had to clean.  I had to mix my own drinks.  I am really looking forward to cruising again.

• Like 3

We had 5 cruises cancelled. We rebooked on of them, only for it to be cancelled again. We have a cruise in December. Fingers crossed. We have 6 cruises booked for 2021. After almost 5 months since our last cruise, we are very happy that Mexico is open for air travel. We have a 10 day getaway booked for Cabo San Lucas at an all inclusive. 

We have been watching lots of movies with travel/ destination themes. Just finished watching the first 5 seasons of the British comedy Benidorm, which was filmed on location in Benidorm, Spain. 

Hopefully we can all start cruising and traveling freely real soon. Happy Travels.

We had 2 cruises canceled this year.  We're going to the beach for a week the end of the month.   We are also spending more time on the lake on our pontoon boat.  I have been furloughed from work for 3 months and was called back today.  I was ready to go back.  I needed the distraction. 

Edited by Butterbean1000

Our family cruise for July was cancelled.  We have booked an Alaskan cruise for end of August 2021 with our cruising friends.

Spent the family cruise refund on new living room furniture.  Credit card companies probably think we have died.  I work from home anyhow, so really haven't been affected as far as my job goes.  

• Like 1

I've been creating "cruising" related decals to hide when we return to sailing!  I'll have quite a collection by the time I get back on a ship!  :-)  

just found this really cute ANCHOR idea that I'm now trying to recreate...  I've got plenty of time to perfect my crafting!

• Like 1

We have painted accent walls in our bedroom and our sons bedroom. I have been enjoying my porch more often. I get a lot of arm exercises in swatting bugs away 😂.  Watching cruise vlogs on YouTube and ordered some more packing cubes because eBays shouldn’t have sent me a 10$ off coupon and had 50% off. Just preparing for my cruise next year!!!

Hi,

I’m enjoying reading .... 🙂🙂

Our annual August Big 2 Week Vacation was cancelled. We were ready & booked, excursions & all, for our trip back to Kauai. I was especially excited because I booked us up at Hanalei, instead of Poipu. Both beautiful, but my hubby prefers sunny and I wanted that Summer Rain. And I finally got to book it!!!! But ... then Covid & Hawaii ....

So, with that trip not do-able. I went with a Condo golf vacation to the Palm Springs area. Hotter than Hell in August ... TRIPLE DIGITS ... so I’d live by the pool during the day. Cool!! 😎 BUT ... the pools have a DAILY reservation system (a -2 hour time slot). AND, the amenities ... pool bar, cafe, restaurant, Game Center etc are closed. Yep. I cancelled. 

Now, we’re  home in August .... just like we’ve been since March 12. 😞 We live in So Cal, have Disneyland Annual Passes, and of course access to a world of fun things to do  But, As we all know , those activities will be on hold for quite some time. 

We have December ‘20 & April ‘21  cruises booked (no flights, here locally in LongBeach) our Fingers Are Crossed .... 

Please, Enjoy, enjoy whatever you can do (SAFELY). this Summer. 🏌🏼‍♀️🏄🏻‍♀️🎣🏕🌅🏞

We’ll be out fun somewhere in the “future” ... till then my little family is healthy. 
 🛳🛳

Bobbi 

Really enjoying these "therapeutic" conversations. The good thing appears to be that we have all found something to help with our non cruising "Shock". The not so good thing is that the remedies are not being enjoyed on a Carnival Cruise Ship!!!

Hang in There!!!   

17 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

Really enjoying these "therapeutic" conversations. The good thing appears to be that we have all found something to help with our non cruising "Shock". The not so good thing is that the remedies are not being enjoyed on a Carnival Cruise Ship!!!

Hang in There!!!   

Thanks for creating this diversion jetsfan58. Muchly needed in today's atmosphere. 

Our youngest daughter and her boyfriend installed one of those softsided above the ground pool. She got the biggest one they had. Something like 18' in diameter. It took allllll day to fill it up starting at 9am, from the garden hose, to alleviate some of the 'cabin fever' she, the boyfriend, and our 11 y.o. grandson. Here in Texas, it normally gets well above 100 by now. But so far this summer, we've barely broken above 96 for a few days, and the water has been to cold to go swimming. So far,  they've only been swimming like 3 or 4 times since installing it in late April! It's 74 out there right now. Brrrrrrrrr. They can't do anything but clean the pool and pray for hot weather. :classic_laugh:

My pleasure. I will never take all of the credit for the inspiration to publish "Shock Absorber".  It's you guys that lead the charge as you continue to teach us all about the wonderful World of Carnival Cruising and about the Wonderful World of People!! 

On 7/6/2020 at 2:34 PM, MistyRo76 said:

I moved! My husband and I just got moved into our forever home! We ditched the 'burbs and moved to the country on about 4 acres with a pond! So we have plenty to do to keep us occupied for a while! 🙂

Will be rebooking our October cruise to sometime next year - trying to decide between Spring and Fall. I don't usually cruise in the summer due to the higher prices. It might be the safer bet to hold off until Fall, but I'm jonesing for a cruise and the new house afterglow will only take me so far! LOL

We are also moving, on August 14!  We had seven cruises cancelled, and while sitting at home we realized that we should be living in a coastal area that we enjoy. So we purchased a condo in Bradenton, just four miles from the beach.   We still miss cruising, but have been kept busy with inspections and appraisals and insurance and the rest of it that comes with moving.  By the time we deal with getting rid of furniture and packing what is left, it will be closing day.  Hopefully moving in will take us up to the time cruising restarts, but with the beach, parks, and fishing to explore, we won’t miss it so badly.

I have had 5 cruises cancelled. Waiting for 6 and 7 to go in October and November. I have been visiting my husband in Missouri and taking care of my dogs (and adult children who are all home...all 5 of them). 

One of the things I like to do to relax is run since the NJ gyms will probably never reopen and sit by my pool and play a few Caribbean channels with some decent music. 

I have accepted my cruises won't sail this year. I have 2 more scheduled for February 2021 January 2022. 

We have a B2B on the Magic scheduled for mid October so hoping that holds on.

Right now - sitting on our timeshare balcony at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach overlooking the Pacific Ocean in Cabo San Lucas, MX and enjoying our morning coffee listening to the crashing waves.

• Like 1

View from our balcony. The golf cart path you can see is to move around the resort. It is built on the side of a mountain with suites all the way down to "toes in the sand". Some people do walk the resort but mostly we prefer the on demand golf carts.

20200709_075807.jpg

• Like 2

We were supposed to cruise on the Legend in April to celebrate my birthday and recoup/relax after a busy winter. It's the busiest time at work for me and I really needed it. Since I have mostly been working from home I have actually been able to get one of the best tans I've had since high school (if it's sunny I take all teleconferences outdoors on my lounger!) I think the extra sun has helped my spirits. 

We did just get back from our annual family reunion in the Florida panhandle. Being out on the water was great but it was definitely different. Very little going out other than on a boat and not all of the family could make it due to health concerns/just returning back to work. Of course the drama sibling made it out so the relaxation was not as much as hoped for! Now DH and I are just trying to figure out where we can go alone that won't be too much hassle. We definitely want to do some diving so we don't have to take a refresher course the next time we go out.

On 7/6/2020 at 11:58 AM, roguebandit said:

I am keeping distracted with knee replacement and physical therapy should be done for our October 4th Freedom cruise if not canceled.

Me too!  Had mine June 6, it's been more challenging than I expected.  How are you doing?

As you wish JetsFan88. Our timeshare is a 2 bdrm Presidential (about 1600 sq ft). The second dining table on the balcony is perfect for morning coffee. In better times we would also get to watch the cruise ships sail by heading for Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta or the Panama Canal. Plus (also in better times) 50 or more Sport Fishing boats heading out looking for big game fish (marlin, etc). Now only a few sports fishing boats head out each morning. Our resort is at about 36% occupancy. 2 of the 6 pools have full service (food, drinks). The other pools are open right now but no service. 6 of 8 available restaurants on site are open. Not perfect, but we will suffer quietly.

20200709_104054.thumb.jpg.3618975e05062a4c30e667a41569cf64.jpg20200709_104107.thumb.jpg.9c7ba3b20237d163494d6b7b71a65cc9.jpg20200709_104120.thumb.jpg.b787c2f5d917592c97c292f839060708.jpg

20200709_110334.jpg

Edited by SDPadreFan
  • Like 3