Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?

Ken the cruiser

7 hours ago, mimbecky said:

I have heard a few people say they won't take the vaccine as long as it has only an EUA. 

Any idea when any of them would have full approval? 

I personally think it is an excuse but maybe that would make a difference for some people.

There is really not much difference with full approval for these vaccines, as in you will not see any that were approved under EUA fail full licensing review.  The primary difference is that they submitted a delivery van worth of date (if they were all printed) compared to 1 or 2 semi-trailers full of documents (all of the backup data as well as the summaries.  The last submission I was involved with prior to the electronic data submission standards, was a full semi-trailer full of documents.  And it was for a product with only 800 people in the phase 3 clinical trial.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Rick, are you by chance a military veteran? If so, this was just posted Feb 23rd on our local VA's FB page where veterans 55 and older can get a vaccine. You may want to see if there is one in your area offering similar walk-in services. NOTE: If not currently enrolled in the VA, it takes about 2 minutes to do so once you get there.

(2) Central Alabama Veterans Health Care System | Facebook

My understanding is to get vaccinated at the VA you must be a patient that currently receives other health care from the VA, not just be a veteran.

8 minutes ago, nocl said:

Not entirely dark but to put things in perspective the US is 340 million, the EU is 447 million. So the developed countries maybe one billion.  China, Russia and the rest of the world 6.8 billion.  At best, even if the vaccines are free it is going to take quite a while.

On a brighter note, thank goodness they all don't have to be vaccinated before we can go cruising again!

2 minutes ago, nocl said:

My understanding is to get vaccinated at the VA you must be a patient that currently receives other health care from the VA, not just be a veteran.

Nope, that wasn't the case here at the local VA in Montgomery. Case in point, if you weren't already registered with the VA when you arrived, it took about 2 minutes to do so which I took to mean you hadn't ever been a patient prior to arriving to get the shot. Just a veteran with maybe a DD214 in your hand. 

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

No, you’re not sorry at all.  The reality is that Ghana will be receiving some vaccines through COVAX.  Your comment was just a gratuitous bit of nay-saying.

The task of getting vaccines to the entire rest of the isn't nay saying, but it is reality.  The US might be able to relax some by fall.  But in general the pandemic will not be over until it is over pretty much everywhere.  As long as there are large numbers of cases anywhere in the world (with modern travel) there will be concerns over the potential for a vaccine resistant variant.  Ghana has a population the equivalent of California.  Now repeat that 200 times.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Nope, that wasn't the case here at the local VA in Montgomery. Case in point, if you weren't already registered with the VA when you arrived, it took about 2 minutes to do so which I took to mean you hadn't ever been a patient prior to arriving to get the shot. Just a veteran with maybe a DD214 in your hand. 

Tried that route the VA here said that you had to qualify for VA Health care, not just be a veteran.

1 minute ago, nocl said:

The task of getting vaccines to the entire rest of the isn't nay saying, but it is reality.  The US might be able to relax some by fall.  But in general the pandemic will not be over until it is over pretty much everywhere.  As long as there are large numbers of cases anywhere in the world (with modern travel) there will be concerns over the potential for a vaccine resistant variant.  Ghana has a population the equivalent of California.  Now repeat that 200 times.

Why don't YOU repeat it 200 times, utter non-sense

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

Why don't YOU repeat it 200 times, utter non-sense

the 200 times is repeating the Ghana receipt of vaccine if they got enough for their population.  That is what is needed for the non-rich countries.  Not repeating as is saying.

Ghana is 34 million we need 6.8 billion.

Edited by nocl

4 minutes ago, nocl said:

the 200 times is repeating the Ghana receipt of vaccine if they got enough for their population.  That is what is needed for the non-rich countries.  Not repeating as is saying.

Ghana is 34 million we need 6.8 billion.

please stop pretending to be an expert, you are not

3 minutes ago, nocl said:

Tried that route the VA here said that you had to qualify for VA Health care, not just be a veteran.

Hey, if you're an "eligible veteran" (whatever the technical definition of that is nowadays, and from the stories I've heard it's quite broad) and your local VA is offering vaccines over 55, it's worth at least showing up and asking the question. Here's what is posted on our local VA's FB page:

CAVHCS COVID-19 Walk-In Vaccination Clinic at Montgomery
(No Appointments Required)
*Alabama and Georgia enrolled and eligible Veterans are encouraged to attend
Montgomery VA Clinic COVID-19 Vaccination Clinic
Date: Wednesday, February 24, 2021
Time: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. (CT)
8105 Veterans Way, Montgomery, Alabama
Vaccines are available for enrolled and eligible Veterans 55 years of age and older. Veterans who are frontline essential workers and are enrolled and eligible for VA care can also receive the vaccine.
Frontline essential workers include but are not limited to:
• Firefighters
• Police officers
• Corrections officers
• Food and agricultural workers
• United States Postal Service workers
• Manufacturing workers
• Grocery store workers
• Public transit workers
• Educational sectors such as teachers, support staff and daycare workers

Just now, Ken the cruiser said:

Hey, if you're an "eligible veteran" (whatever the technical definition of that is nowadays, and from the stories I've heard it's quite broad) and your local VA is offering vaccines over 55, it's worth at least showing up and asking the question. Here's what is posted on our local VA's FB page:

Vaccines are available for enrolled and eligible Veterans 55 years of age and older. Veterans who are frontline essential workers and are enrolled and eligible for VA care can also receive the vaccine.
• Firefighters
• Police officers
• Corrections officers
• Manufacturing workers
• Grocery store workers
• Public transit workers

I will check with them again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nocl said:

If they are smart they would route the J&J vaccines to the more rural areas that have had issues with the storage requirements for Moderna and Pfizer.  Areas where it is more difficult to coordinate the second shot. Areas that also tend to be a bit lower risk than more dense urban areas.

At our (MN) Department of Health briefing today, they indicated that although they would be 'widely' distributing the J&J vaccine when available (our 1.6% of the total ☺️) , they would likely use it on populations that are difficult to get to return for 2nd doses. Their examples were the homeless population or those with transportation difficulties.

19 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

please stop pretending to be an expert, you are not

Doesn't take an expert to understand the scope of vaccinating the world and the numbers involved. All is needs is basic math skills.

While most of time I was either in the US or working with  international committees representing the FDA in meetings with Japans MHW, and the EU, dealing with regulatory issues. I  have been involved in getting pharmaceuticals distributed outside of the US, and have worked with issues of getting donated product out to patients in third world countries. 

How long do you think it is going to take to vaccinate a substantial number of the 6.8 billion population outside of the rich countries?

Just to be clear Ghana received 600,000 doses for their population of 34 million. 

Edited by nocl
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

At our (MN) Department of Health briefing today, they indicated that although they would be 'widely' distributing the J&J vaccine when available (our 1.6% of the total ☺️) , they would likely use it on populations that are difficult to get to return for 2nd doses. Their examples were the homeless population or those with transportation difficulties.

Yep, makes sense.

15 minutes ago, larry_s_taco said:

If I remember correctly approximately 22 percent of that population number in the US includes children who won't be getting vaccinated.

Even higher percentage in the poorer countries.  Will not be getting vaccinated immediately.  By the end of the year that will probably change with at least one of the vaccines getting a label change if current trials work out.

The issue is that if getting everyone vaccinated is a a slog up a steep hill.  getting the rest of the world outside of the rich countries done will be climbing Everest.  Can be done, but will take time.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

• Firefighters
• Police officers
• Corrections officers
• Manufacturing workers
• Grocery store workers
• Public transit workers

There are, I believe, 8 categories of veterans with varying degrees of eligibility for VA health care. I myself am in category 6 or 7, which is a veteran who served in a period (1982-85) during which there were no theater-wide conflicts (such as Vietnam in 60s and 70s, or Mideast in 1991-2 or 2001-2021) and who did not participate in the limited engagements such as the Grenada invasion. If you do not have a service-connected illness or injury in my category you will not be eligible for any VA health benefits until Congress opens up eligibility to more levels. We are still eligible for other veterans' benefits such as VA-guaranteed mortgages.

Edited by mayleeman

19 minutes ago, nocl said:

I will check with them again.

Just remember the optimal phrase is "eligible veteran". When I retired in 1994 that meant you had to have an applicable medical issue(s) encountered while you were active duty to even be able to register with the VA and become a "card carrying" member, and then you were only allowed to be treated by the VA if you could prove your illness was caused by any of those recorded issues.

But, then the laws changed some years back and from what I understand (and I could be wrong) pretty much any veteran could get treatment at the VA, even if their illness (e.g., appendicitis) had nothing to do with events that happened during their time in service. Hence, one of the main reasons IMHO why  the Veterans hospitals were all of a sudden overflowing with patients and have been ever since.   

Edited by Ken the cruiser

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just remember the optimal phrase is "eligible veteran". When I retired in 1994 that meant you had to have an applicable medical issue(s) encountered while you were active duty to even be able to register with the VA and become a "card carrying" member, and then you were only allowed to treated by the VA if you could prove your illness was caused by any of those recorded issues.

But, then the laws changed some years back and from what I understand (and I could be wrong) pretty much any veteran could get treatment at the VA, even if their illness (e.g., appendicitis) had nothing to do with events that happened during their time in service. Hence, one of the main reasons IMHO why  the Veterans hospitals were all of a sudden overflowing with patients and have been ever since.   

When I tried they basically that since I did not meet any of the following, and did not meet income limits I was not eligible.  I was Vietnam era, but technically did not serve inside Vietnam.

At least one of these must be true. You:

Receive financial compensation (payments) from VA for a service-connected disability

Were discharged for a disability resulting from something that happened to you in the line of duty

Were discharged for a disability that got worse in the line of duty

Are a recently discharged combat Veteran

Get a VA pension

Are a former prisoner of war (POW)

Have received a Purple Heart

Have received a Medal of Honor

Get (or qualify for) Medicaid benefits

Served in Vietnam between January 9, 1962, and May 7, 1975

Served in Southwest Asia during the Gulf War between August 2, 1990, and November 11, 1998

Served at least 30 days at Camp Lejeune between August 1, 1953, and December 31, 1987

• Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, nocl said:

Given that the US will have enough supply with just what they have ordered from Pfizer and Moderna, the fact that J & J is about to approved and the fact the US already ordered 300 million from AstraZeneca and 100 million from Novavax, do you think the US will donate alot of the extra supply to Covax?