Changes for cruisers and others from 1 January (passports, medical, pets etc) - new government campaign starts

Harry Peterson

Time to start preparing for changes from 1 January 2021:

Potential changes to travel insurance and passport rules for UK holidaymakers after Brexit are being highlighted in a series of adverts starting this week.  The government's "UK's new start: let's get going" campaign will be run on TV, radio, online, print and billboards.

There will be advice for Britons in the EU and EU citizens living in the UK, as well as UK and EU businesses, on how to prepare for the end of the transition period on 31 December.

People will also receive text messages.

Ministers say most of the actions that citizens and businesses are being asked to take will need to be completed regardless of the ongoing negotiations between the UK and EU on the post-Brexit trade arrangements.  That is because the UK will no longer be part of the current customs union at the end of the year, no matter what arrangements are put in place.

The government says the actions people need to take after 1 January 2021 will vary depending on individual circumstances but the adverts will cover advice suggesting that:

Britons intending to travel to Europe should ensure their passports are valid for a specific period, they have comprehensive travel insurance, and they check their mobile phone roaming policy

Holidaymakers will need to take out insurance that covers health as the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will only be valid up to 31 December 2020.

Anyone wanting to travel to Europe with a pet from 1 January 2021 needs to contact their vet four months in advance.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53383170  (Brexit: Ads highlight changes for UK holidaymakers)

Edited by Harry Peterson

18 minutes ago, Chrisdriving said:

All sounds pretty straight forward, no problem.

I suppose that depends how much you like paying vast amounts for mobile phone calls again, and increased travel insurance costs because the EHIC arrangements have gone.

• Like 4

The EHIC arrangements are gone, but what about Norway, it is not in the EU

travel insurance will be expensive, I have 3 cruises booked for next year but no travel insurance having changed my bank account to one without insurance and saved a lot of money, why pay monthly for insurance when you won't be going abroad for at least 9 months, or at all.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bobupandown said:

Thanks Harry for the update.

I totally agree Travel Insurance, Medical Bills etc are going to be a lot more expensive. 

I agree that nobody knows, but Brexit will happen. Don't see the point of this on a cruise board, could equally apply to baked beans.

Just now, zap99 said:

I agree that nobody knows, but Brexit will happen. Don't see the point of this on a cruise board, could equally apply to baked beans.

It already has happened to baked beans because they’re imported, but it’s highly relevant to cruising because it impacts directly on insurance costs, mobile call costs and mobile data costs.

Many of us found free calls and internet access very useful indeed on a cruise, but not from January.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

It already has happened to baked beans because they’re imported, but it’s highly relevant to cruising because it impacts directly on insurance costs, mobile call costs and mobile data costs.

Many of us found free calls and internet access very useful indeed on a cruise, but not from January.

The latest info from all the mobile phone operators is that they do not intend to increase roaming charges after the transition period. As far as insurance costs are concerned Covid 19 will have a much greater impact than Brexit, and of course if there is an agreement EHIC cards could continue, and may do so even without one.

No one yet knows what will happen, but you remainers still want to peddle project fear.  You lost the war Harry, you really need to get used to the new reality.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The latest info from all the mobile phone operators is that they do not intend to increase roaming charges after the transition period. As far as insurance costs are concerned Covid 19 will have a much greater impact than Brexit, and of course if there is an agreement EHIC cards could continue, and may do so even without one.

Most of the mobile operators own or have interesting in other companies around Europe and the world. Roaming charges are not what they used to be given the increase of Wi-Fi etc. Look at EE & Three. They now offer roaming in the US free of charge if you are on one of their bundle tariffs. Why? Otherwise most people would just use Wi-Fi and WhatsApp or Facetime.

The other optic here is that mobile companies would have to proactively raise prices. I'm not sure that the CMA would like that and they would risk a capping mechanism a bit like gas and electric.

9 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

If you like.  Actually, the whole country has lost, and the Union will probably end up losing Scotland, and possibly Northern Ireland.  That’s tragic.

Depends on what side of the border you are on!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

How very true that is.  Getting back control. Control by Russia, and control by the unelected Dominic Cummings.  Some victory that is.

Being such a pro european its surprising you are so opposed to Russia, who are  predominantly Europeans.

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Being such a pro european its surprising you are so opposed to Russia, who are  predominantly Europeans.

I'm pro the EU, so can therefore be anti Russia. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I’m opposed to any state, including Russia, China and now America, that’s prepared to try to control the UK. And I’m pro-European because there’s strength and peace in unity. Churchill was one of those responsible for the creation of a united Europe after the last war, and his aim was to prevent any more wars between Germany and France. That purpose was achieved, and a whole lot more, including something which can compete with the US.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

How very true that is.  Getting back control. Control by Russia, and control by the unelected Dominic Cummings.  Some victory that is.

Didn't take long for this thread to get back to harping on about your obsession with politics, but that was the objective wasn't it ?. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zap99 said:

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Didn't take long for this thread to get back to harping on about your obsession with politics, but that was the objective wasn't it ?. 

You’ll see that you were the one who introduced Brexit and politics. It was originally simply an information thread, as you’ll see from the original post. 😀

5 hours ago, davecttr said:

The EHIC arrangements are gone, but what about Norway, it is not in the EU

travel insurance will be expensive, I have 3 cruises booked for next year but no travel insurance having changed my bank account to one without insurance and saved a lot of money, why pay monthly for insurance when you won't be going abroad for at least 9 months, or at all.

Norway is in EFTA along will Iceland & Liechtenstein, they have access to Single Market & FOM, also included in EHIC scheme. 

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

You’ll see that you were the one who introduced Brexit and politics. It was originally simply an information thread, as you’ll see from the original post. 😀

You did it again 😂. Brexit was mentioned first on line 5 of post 1. Who wrote that ?. Getting your facts straight may help your credibility.

52 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I’m opposed to any state, including Russia, China and now America, that’s prepared to try to control the UK. And I’m pro-European because there’s strength and peace in unity. Churchill was one of those responsible for the creation of a united Europe after the last war, and his aim was to prevent any more wars between Germany and France. That purpose was achieved, and a whole lot more, including something which can compete with the US.

Churchill might well have had had a hand in pushing France and Germany toward cooperation on certain aspects of trade, but he had no interest in the UK becoming involved, and I am fairly certain he also wanted to maintain the US as the favoured partner of the UK.

• Haha 1