New Flagship(s)?

Roz

5 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I'd  be willing to wager money on Zaandam and possibly Volendam receiving the moniker, as they will be the vessels to do the Grand Voyages going forward. I

I sure wouldn’t bet against you on this one 😉 

I had the same thoughts of Zaandam being named the flagship and/or Volendam being named as co-flagship.

4 hours ago, kazu said:

I sure wouldn’t bet against you on this one 😉 

I had the same thoughts of Zaandam being named the flagship and/or Volendam being named as co-flagship.

If you look at HAL's history in naming flagships, they have always done so with ships that "will be around" for a while until a new one is built to take their place. Zaandam and Volendam, like their near sisters, will not be on the HAL scene for much longer

• Like 5

I don't care either way and don't go out of my way to sail them, but not having at least one would seem strange, I like the tradition and there's not enough embracing of the old in this day/age...imo.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

If you look at HAL's history in naming flagships, they have always done so with ships that "will be around" for a while until a new one is built to take their place. Zaandam and Volendam, like their near sisters, will not be on the HAL scene for much longer

Guess I will lose my bet then 😉 

Based on what you are saying, it would then be a Pinnacle class ship.  

Oh well.  Glad I sailed on the sold flagships 😄 when I could

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Guess I will lose my bet then 😉 
Based on what you are saying, it would then be a Pinnacle class ship.  

It was already alluded to in 2014 with the naming announcement for Koningsdam?   But who knows whether this was ambitious marketing copy versus conferring the actual title?  Nice bit of tradition perhaps, but in the end, not sure it matters much to most pax?   Scott. 

"New design for a new flagship.  When it debuts in February 2016, ms Koningsdam will be a new type of ship for Holland America Line."

source:  https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/topics/news/introducing-ms-koningsdam-name-of-new-pinnacle-class-ship-revealed/

image.thumb.png.b425f7238ebf5f8fd1669817d632e6dd.png

HAL in the past seems to like the concept (and probably the financial rewards going with such a decision) to build ships in teams of "4".  The Signature Class is an exception, but it has been argued that those two ships are merely extensions of the Vista Class ships of "4".

The "shipyard door is now locked", but I wonder if there might be some corporate "regrets" in naming Pinnacle Class #1 Koningsdam.  And, #2 Niuew Statendam.

#3 will be Ryndam.  If there is a #4, she could be Rotterdam VII.    

Nieuw Statendam's name could be changed to reflect the Statendam's heritage.  But, what could be done about the Koningsdam's name to make it "in line" with HAL history?  One does not want to "insult" the King of the Netherlands by changing the name of the ship.  Might the King consider it an honor to have the ship re-named Rotterdam VII and have her become the Flagship of Holland America Line?

If so, for Pinnacle Class #4, there are plenty of other "-dam" ship names from which to choose.    

6 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

I think you are correct..

I think the Koningsdam would make a fine flag ship, it is the lead ship of that class, it is the "king" it is at the pinnacle of it's class and with what Copper 10-8 said it fits all the criterion to act as flag ship.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

IMO,

If  HAL survives to again (still) be the cruise line many of us here  truly connect with and eagerly await sailing hopefully soon.  They will once again as is their tradition and history,  have a flagship  named ROTTerdam

I hope we get to see that become reality very soon.

3 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

IMO,

If  HAL survives to again (still) be the cruise line many of us here  truly connect with and eagerly await sailing hopefully soon.  They will once again as is their tradition and history,  have a flagship  named ROTTerdam

I hope we get to see that become reality very soon.

The new Rotterdam is the new flagship of the fleet. 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/cruise-ships/ms-rotterdam/0.html

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2020 at 9:34 PM, cruzingnut said:

The new Rotterdam is the new flagship of the fleet. 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/cruise-ships/ms-rotterdam/0.html

While I am pleased to officially learn that Rotterdam VII will be the Flagship for HAL, I am less than excited with the emphasis on what I understand the decor will be:  more "music" type stuff that I saw on Nieuw Statendam.  Surely, HAL won't pay for some of the odd type of "art" that I experienced on Nieuw Statendam.  

"Music Walk" itself seems to be successful with the programming well planned.  But, some of us would appreciate enrichment programs that are destination driven with truly experienced people who know about which they speak.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/16/2020 at 6:03 AM, taxmantoo said:

I am not asking to start a controversy but because I am curious to know.  What does a flagship do and who cares? 

It meant something back in the day....like waaay back.  Nowadays, it's just a symbolic term that doesn't really mean anything.  

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

It meant something back in the day....like waaay back.  Nowadays, it's just a symbolic term that doesn't really mean anything.  

I should clarify.  It doesn't mean mean much in today's modern cruise fleets.  In certain other circumstances, like the USCG Cutter EAGLE, it still has a lot of meaning.  

21 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Don't disagree with what a "flagship" currently means.  Once upon a time...."in a land far away"...the Flagship was the ship whose shipping line's Commodore was the Master and whose flag flew on the ship's mast.  

2020, a quaint idea now.  But the loss of that "august position" represents, maybe, the start of the diminishing of the cruise experience over the past decades?