MSC has offered me an upgrade but there is a caveat.

blordos

It is about the 20-days reposition cruise from Miami to Barcelona on the MSC Seaside next year in March. I did the booking long before this whole Corona crisis broke out. Somewhere late 2019 I think. At that time I booked a Bella inside cabin for €1000 per person. I wanted a YC cabin but no YC cabins were available. I put myself on a waiting list for a YC cabin. Now this week we got an upgrade offer from Bella inside to YC Balcony for €1000 extra. So the price is now €2000 per person for a YC Balcony.

But there is a caveat. The itinerary internary has change. The starting point is now Port Canaveral instead of Port Miami and they skipped the MSC private island Ocean Cay. We did got an extra €200 OBC per cabin. The price is no brainer as Bella plus Drink package premium for 20 days is the same.

But the itinerary change bugs me but on the other hand 20 days YC Suite for such a low price is a deal I can't refuse.

How do you guys think about it ?

Edited by blordos

Why is the itinerary change bothering you?

I am not sure what the draw of Miami is over Port Canaveral.  Both ports offer  plenty of things to do pre or post cruise.

The loss of a private island is no big deal to me.

If you like the price, jump on the offer.

Just now, rkacruiser said:

Sounds good, but will you be satisfied in an inside stateroom--be it a suite or not--for 20 days?

Be sure you understand what a YC suite is.

We spent 23 nights in a YIN 6 weeks after a 7 night cruise in a YIN and enjoyed every minute!

Sometimes I think that MSC views itineraries as "advisory" rather then real.  Changes have not been uncommon be it port times or even ports.  With the COVID-19 mess the cruise lines are all scrambling to put together itineraries that they think will work.  But the truth is that many ports may not reopen to cruise ships or may choose to severely limit the number of ships in port on any given day.

Count me as a big time fan of the YC.  DW and I have a 14 day December cruise (in the YC) which has already had the ship change, our cabin change, and our itinerary change.  Our reaction is "so what" and we just hope that the cruise still happens and we still have the guts to get on a cruise right before the Xmas/New Years holidays.  

You are apparently booked on a March 21 cruise.  What do you think will change by next March regarding COVID-19?  The virus will still be with us and it is very unlikely that a safe/effective vaccine will exist or be in universal use.  So, at this time if you really want to cruise I suggest you just sit back and watch as the situation continues to evolve.  A moment of truth will be when you must make a final payment. Keep in mind that currently, Americans cannot even travel to Spain or the EU and that might not change prior to March.

Hank

• Like 1

You need to remember that if scheduled for Ocean Cay, i would say 25-35% miss the port due to westher.   We are on Seashore repo and surprised not doing Ocean Cay as well - and this is to Miami.  I would not be bothered with these changes currently.  a lot can change for next year for better or worse.  We hope for the positive.  

I've signed for the upgrade. The new cabin is 18003. That's a YC balcony at the highest deck. The offer was actually an YC inside cabin but MSC made a free upgrade from YIN to Balcony. Thanks MSC !!

This makes me think about the availlable rooms in YC. At the time of booking all rooms were reserved but now there are still YC balconies free. A lot of cancellations must be going on.

I realize the itinerary changed all the time and I'm familiar with it. I'm from Belgium so the difficulty is more if I can enter USA next March for holiday. When the cruise stops in Barcelona it's not difficult to go back to belgium.

Even if it was YC inside the experience in the YC enclave is immense. We spent most of the time outside the cabin so inside cabin was no problem.

I hope for the best regarding the Corona virus. Hopefully a vaccin will be available. Me and my wife love cruising and we can't quarantaine in our house forever.

Edited by blordos
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, heatherb1958 said:

We are on the same cruise and I just wish they gave us our original cabin back ! 

What cabin did you have ? I'v signed for the Cruisecritics Meet&Mingle. We could meet there !

4 hours ago, blordos said:

What cabin did you have ? I'v signed for the Cruisecritics Meet&Mingle. We could meet there !

hi there . We had a balcony on deck 12 Starboard aft , they moved us to deck 10 Portside midships. Not happy , have tried to move us back to Starboard side but nothing happened yet. We will definitely be on the cruise so long as they don’t cancel and I already signed up on the official Meet and Mingle register 😎. See ya there!