More ships to leave Carnival Fleet.

mercury7289

51 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

That will be Carnival USA I'm assuming. Either way that's not good news.

Avril 

I suspect it might be worldwide Avril, a lot of the subsidiary lines have reduced their fleets and it is unlikely there will be any expansion for a few years yet. I know there are new builds in the pipeline, but I imagine there will be further sales of older ships as these come on line.

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

News today in Ameritrade.

Carnival have sent termination notices to thousands of Officers and crew.

Unfortunate for those on the receiving end of their 'notice' but with a reduction of 4 x ships at the moment from their fleet it goes without saying there is a surplus of crew with nowhere to place them.  Add to the fact that I'm sure there were likely some 'retirements' in there among those referenced....but as has been mentioned this is likely the first of many ripples to come.

On 9/22/2020 at 10:25 AM, Captain_Morgan said:

Little bit of nostalgia for me, Sea Princess was the first ship I went on; when she sailed as Adonia for P&O. She had the dented propeller at the time - made for a very juddery sailing.

Where's she heading to next?

2 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Were they sister ships to Oceana? Shame, nice ships

Yes, the first 2 in the series....Sun, Sea, Dawn, Ocean was the original order where the first 3 stayed with Princess and Ocean was transferred to P&O a couple years after entering service.

Sea had a brief stint with P&O as Adonia before going back to Princess in 2005 and Dawn was transferred to P&O Australia to become Pacific Explorer a few years ago

• Thanks 1

On 9/20/2020 at 3:46 PM, Glenndale said:

One thing that might help Lindy..... if she knows anyone who has cruised previously with Saga they can introduce her as a newby and they will both get a 10% discount through Saga Possibilities.

When my s-i-l joined us in September we introduced her and we all got an extra 10% discount 😁

Think that has now changed to 10% off a future cruise for both of you, not 10% off the one you are booking now.

ADDED: just to avoid confusion, this was a Saga question, albeit in the P&O forum....

Edited by nosapphire
addition

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Thank goodness for that. I can relax now😊

Avril

Yes, we can relax for now Avril - and keep everything crossed for a resumption of cruising by next Spring 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

• Like 3

4 hours ago, molecrochip said:

One of the P&O Aus ships, Aria, originally destined to go to CMV has been sold, I believe to the same company who acquired Oceana.

Yes, SeaJets has purchased it (formally HAL Ryndam and P&O Aus Pacific Aria)

Wonder if they got pipped to the post by Mystic Cruises who bought the former Statendam / Pacific Eden / Vasco de Gama from CMV as they're both formally 'S Class' ships

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 1:04 PM, molecrochip said:

One of the P&O Aus ships, Aria, originally destined to go to CMV has been sold, I believe to the same company who acquired Oceana.

It is interesting that Sea Jets, which was solely a ferry operator until this year, has now acquired 6 cruise ships which were formerly with Carnival lines, as well as Oceana, they now have 3 former HAL S class ships, as well as Magellan and Columbus ex CMV ships.

I wonder where these will be based once the pandemic ends, and which markets they will serve, I suspect they must be coveting some of the UK market which CMV formerly held, as well as possibly operating fly cruises from N European countries, in the Med.

Will they ever sail again in service?

Sad to say there is speculation that this is a pure asset play. Buy them now at near to scrap value. Wait for scrap value to increase then scrap. Scrap value for ships is low at moment due to significant supply.

The other asset play is buy now in distressed market, wait for market to recover, sell to other operators.

There is currently no suggestion that SeaJets is about to enter the cruise market.

They are using Celestyal cruises or a connected company to safe many the ships prior to cold layup.

Edited by molecrochip
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Will they ever sail again in service?

Sad to say there is speculation that this is a pure asset play. Buy them now at near to scrap value. Wait for scrap value to increase then scrap. Scrap value for ships is low at moment due to significant supply.

The other asset play is buy now in distressed market, wait for market to recover, sell to other operators.

There is currently no suggestion that SeaJets is about to enter the cruise market.

They are using Celestyal cruises or a connected company to safe many the ships prior to cold layup.

Or if CVI do start operating, maybe they will lease two or three....???