Your best deal and advice on a TransAtlantic please

wurm914

What's the best deal you've made on a TA from North America to Europe with NCL?  Type of cabin, cost and if you can remember - how far away from sail date did you book?   If you booked a balcony - was it worth the extra cost - crossing the Atlantic in spring would be chilly I think. 

I'm considering booking a TA for spring 2021 - NCL Star - NY to London.   It's been listed for approx $960 inside,  $2100 balcony for months - I believe no movement on price because of all the cancellations. 

Thanks for your advice - here's to travel planning and cruising again soon-ish. 

deb 🙂

Interior, $529pp, 15 day, NYC to Rome plus $200port taxes plus $297 optional beverage service charges because we elected beverage package. You would not have to pay the beverage charges if you opt for free internet or shorex free at sea. We booked about 45 days prior to sailing. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wurm914 said:

What's the best deal you've made on a TA from North America to Europe with NCL?  Type of cabin, cost and if you can remember - how far away from sail date did you book?   If you booked a balcony - was it worth the extra cost - crossing the Atlantic in spring would be chilly I think. 

I'm considering booking a TA for spring 2021 - NCL Star - NY to London.   It's been listed for approx $960 inside,  $2100 balcony for months - I believe no movement on price because of all the cancellations. 

deb 🙂

Best deal on NCL was in 2014 the Star from Copenhagen to Miami had a balcony cabin for $650 pp.

TA cruises now usually have a few more ports.  We are booked on Celebrity's Constellation Rome to Tampa for Oct 2021.

Balcony cabin without perks is about $1700 pp.  Price has gone up since we booked.  We booked as soon as cruise was announced.

Best to compare, we usually compare NCL with Celebrity, Royal C. and Princess.  Lately NCL has been too expensive since they haven't unbundled perks that we don't want with cruise fare.

Nothing can beat the $1900 pp fare we got in 2011 on the Epic for an AFT PENTHOUSE with HAVEN ACCESS from Barcelona to Miami 13 night cruise.  I think  we also had about $400 OBC.  

We'll never see those fares again!

1 hour ago, wurm914 said:

deb 🙂

We love Transatlantics. In fact, we used to do one a year since 2009. The best deal we  have gotten was 599 for 14 days in a Balcony.  We are currently booked for next November on the Escape from Italy to NYC, quite pricey, but using our FCC so the total will be manageable. We were on the Jade this coming October from Italy to NYC for 18 days, had an ocean view stateroom, the price when we booked it was 889, we booked it last October 2019. We always picked the best price and did not care what stateroom we got. We booked from Inside cabins to mini suites and always guarantees. 

We love transatlantics, have taken more than a dozen. The best deal we got was the last NCL cruise from Houston before the cruise port closed in Houston in 2016  - it was a 17 night cruise to Barcelona and cost us $599 each (before DSC) for an ocean view cabin including beverage package (and there wasn't a service charge on the beverage package in those days), dining package of several nights (can't remember how many but it was 4 or 5), plus obc of $50 or so. We booked about four months before sail date. After sail date inside cabins went for as low as $399 each (without perks).

Our two transatlantics this year were canceled by NCL because of covid, but we are hoping the next one we have booked for 2021 will be a go - Southampton to Boston via Iceland and Greenland.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jaapie said:

We love transatlantics, have taken more than a dozen. The best deal we got was the last NCL cruise from Houston before the cruise port closed in Houston in 2016  - it was a 17 night cruise to Barcelona and cost us $599 each (before DSC) for an ocean view cabin including beverage package (and there wasn't a service charge on the beverage package in those days), dining package of several nights (can't remember how many but it was 4 or 5), plus obc of $50 or so. We booked about four months before sail date. After sail date inside cabins went for as low as $399 each (without perks).

Our two transatlantics this year were canceled by NCL because of covid, but we are hoping the next one we have booked for 2021 will be a go - Southampton to Boston via Iceland and Greenland.

That Greenland and iceland cruise sounds interesting. 

• Like 2

I love transatlantic sailings. I start in Europe, usually Spain, the the ship sails South to Miami.  Weather has been great, very warm, since sailing South. I had a couple of sailings with a rainy day or two.  Didn’t dampen the cruise for me.  I chose balcony because I sometimes I would have tea or just read a good book. Love a Transatlantic but I’m not a loving ports person. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bearette said:

That Greenland and iceland cruise sounds interesting. 

10 hours ago, jaapie said:

Is this with NCL?

$399 Inside GY on Getaway 2 years ago NYC to Southampton 12 days.  This was cut short to 10 days because Getaway had to get to dry dock 2 days earlier than expected.  NCL gave us an additional 25% off.

One word of advice; bigger is usually better.  The Star is a much smaller ship than the Jewel & Breakaway class ships.  Remember you're going to have 5 or more consecutive sea days with no port stops so a bigger ship has more distractions & attractions than a smaller ship. My 2 cents.

We were scheduled on another TA on Encore this April that got cancelled due to the CODID-19 pandemic.  For that we paid $399 each also (Inside GTY).

Good luck!

On 7/30/2020 at 7:46 PM, mbuckley3 said:

I love transatlantic sailings. I start in Europe, usually Spain, the the ship sails South to Miami.  Weather has been great, very warm, since sailing South. I had a couple of sailings with a rainy day or two.  Didn’t dampen the cruise for me.  I chose balcony because I sometimes I would have tea or just read a good book. Love a Transatlantic but I’m not a loving ports person. 

Us either, we love Transatlantics because we find the sea days so relaxing, ( if the sea is calm 🙂 ) . Some friends always ask me what do you do on those sea days and i say, you enjoy the ship, you read, sleep, relax, somehow it does not convince them  LOL. Some people love the ports hopping, hmmm and is all good but we find it that we get home more tired than relaxed.

Hmm we have done about 4 TAs, if cost is a factor fly to europe and sail back to the states (you pay no international flight tax on the way over to europe, it is flight back that pays that tax, this would save about $200 pp if the port was in England) Once we got an outside 15 day for $299 on Royal, we probably booked within 2 weeks of departure.

• Like 1