Diamond Princess moving from Japan and Asia to a new destination from October 2021

dides

Saw this pop up in the news - intrigued where the new destination will be!

Princess Cruises has announced it will cancel all sailings aboard the 2,670-passenger Diamond Princess throughout Japan and Asia between October 2021 and April 2022, in favor of redeploying the ship to a new destination.

Princess announced the ship will instead set sail for a maiden season in another part of the world, though the company did not specify where that would be. The inclusion of the word "maiden" implies a cruising region not normally visited by the ship, which has spent most of its service career in Asia and Alaska.

Princess stated that details of the new voyages would be announced later this month. The cancelled sailings run from the October 24, 2021 voyage to the April 19, 2022 Northern Japan Spring Flowers cruise.

Built in 2004 at the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries shipyard in Nagasaki, Diamond Princess was extensively refitted in 2014 for the Japanese market, to the tune of $30-million dollars. Added features included the first Japanese onsen bathing experience at sea, new food and dining venues, and contemporary Asian motifs throughout.

Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific? I don't think it would be popular with the Port authorities and Governments after the Diamond and Ruby Princess debacle early in the year.

Edited by By The Bay

Diamond has done cruises in Australia/New Zealand so that would not count as a "maiden market".  Wondering if there will be another ship covering Japan or is Princess giving up.  We were on the Sun Princess for the inaugural season in Japan and loved it.  It's a great way to see a lot of Japan outside of Tokyo and Kyoto.

Edited by Desert Cruisers

3 hours ago, SouthAltaCruisingFamily said:

Is it remotely possible that based on the season this will “fill in” the 15 day full transit of the canal?

currently Princess is primarily only offering 10 day partial transits.

I couldn't wrap my head around where Diamond could be redeployed, but I think you really might have something here. Princess released the Panama Canal marketing materials, but that's never to say everything's set in stone, and since there's a big chunk of 15-day jaunts missing from their usual list of offerings for '21-'22, this is a good prediction. But someone can correct me if Diamond's done Panama Canal voyages before; I'm not too sure if they have. One thing that leaps out, though, is the stigma of the Diamond name, but if "poop cruise" Triumph could last until 2019, then things should be able to be reconciled eventually. And thanks @dides for sharing the article!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dides said:

Princess announced the ship will instead set sail for a maiden season in another part of the world, though the company did not specify where that would be. The inclusion of the word "maiden" implies a cruising region not normally visited by the ship, which has spent most of its service career in Asia and Alaska.

I think this is subterfuge -- when the real goal is to simply change the ship's name.

• Haha 1

And a deployment summary until today for Princess Cruises' vessels in 2021-2022 winter season (or summer season in the Southern Hemisphere):

ROYAL: ???

REGAL: ???

MAJESTIC: US West Coast

SKY: Caribbean

ENCHANTED: Caribbean

DISCOVERY: South America, US West Coast, Caribbean

CARIBBEAN: Caribbean

CROWN: Caribbean, Panama Canal

EMERALD: ???

RUBY: US West Coast, Panama Canal, Hawaii

SAPPHIRE: South America, US West Coast, Hawaii

DIAMOND: ???
GRAND: US West Coast, Hawaii

CORAL: ???

ISLAND: World Cruise, Caribbean, Panama Canal

SUN: ???

SEA: ???

PACIFIC: South Pacific

Regions without any ships yet:

Australia & New Zealand / Singapore / Japan (?)

Ships without itineraries yet:

Royal / Regal / Emerald / Diamond / Coral / Sun / Sea

Edited by Cruise Wonderland
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

And a deployment summary until today for Princess Cruises' vessels in 2021-2022 winter season (or summer season in the Southern Hemisphere):

SAPPHIRE: South America, US West Coast, Hawaii

DIAMOND: ???

Royal / Regal / Emerald / Diamond / Coral / Sun / Sea

Thanks for your detailed summary. The word, from a Princess Holiday Planner in a telephone conversation two weeks ago, was that the Australian/NZ itineraries would be released mid-August. After the release we should be able to fill in some of the ???

Edited by By The Bay

5 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Thanks for your detailed summary. The word, from a Princess Holiday Planner in a telephone conversation two weeks ago, was that the Australian/NZ itineraries would be released mid-August. After the release will should be able to fill in some of the ???

And after the release, we may know whether Sun and Sea will still remain the fleet.

2 hours ago, pms4104 said:

Based on the fall to spring season, perhaps southern hemisphere ... Africa itineraries from South Africa?

This is possible, or I also think of Indian Ocean itineraries in which Costa Cruises already has such routes for several years.

• 2 weeks later...

The answer of Diamond Princess' new destination is... SOUTH AMERICA! Princess Cruises just announces today. She will replace the itineraries originally sailed by Sapphire Princess!

So the updated deployment for 2021-2022 season changes as below:

SAPPHIRE: ???

DIAMOND: South America

Royal / Regal / Emerald / Sapphire / Coral / Sun / Sea

Princess Cruises Announces Diamond Princess Maiden Season in South America and Antarctica

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (August 18, 2020) – Princess Cruises announced today a maiden season for Diamond Princess, sailing to South America and Antarctica in fall 2021 and spring 2022, replacing Sapphire Princess on the same deployment from December through March.

The itineraries in the maiden season include:

• December 1, 2021                              Andes & South America
  • December 1, 2021                              Antarctica, Andes & Cape Horn Grand Adventure
  • December 19, 2021                            Antarctica & Cape Horn
  • January 4 and 20, 2022                      Antarctica & Cape Horn
  • February 5, 19 and March 5, 2022     Cape Horn & Strait of Magellan
  • March 5, 2022                                     Andes & Cape Horn Grand Adventure
  • March 19, 2022                                   Andes & South America

In addition, Diamond Princess will sail on two new Pacific Crossings to and from Asia in fall 2021 and spring 2022 and sail the North Pacific Ocean with either Southeast Asia and Hawaii or Hawaii and Japan. These sailings are between Los Angeles and either Singapore or Yokohama (Tokyo).

As a result of this change, three Sapphire Princess Baja Peninsula & Sea of Cortez cruises and three Hawaiian Islands cruises in fall 2021 and spring 2022 will be cancelled.

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/princess-cruises-announces-diamond-princess-maiden-season-south

4 minutes ago, waltd said:

Well that is interesting.    Jak and I are booked on the 34 day Sapphire Princess Dec.1 2021.     

Joe...now you’ll have the Asian modified version of the Sapphire. Those changes were not desirable for me but hopefully they work well for both of you.

1 minute ago, Astro Flyer said:

Joe...now you’ll have the Asian modified version of the Sapphire. Those changes were not desirable for me but hopefully they work well for both of you.

Frank that's right.   I forgot about that.   Hey it's something new to experience.      Hopefully all goes well with the cruise.   Thanks Frank.

3 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Do you think they will change the modifications before now and then?

Edited by Coral

10 minutes ago, waltd said:

Frank that's right.   I forgot about that.   Hey it's something new to experience.      Hopefully all goes well with the cruise.   Thanks Frank.

Enjoy the new experience...as I recall it was more spa experiences & high tech cabin toilets.

9 minutes ago, Coral said:

Do you think they will change the modifications?

I would be surprised if they made changes for one season away from Asia.

I don’t think they made any major changes (a few name or menu changes?) to the Asian designed Majestic when it redeployed to Australia & soon to the West Coast. With their cash flow problems it’s doubtful to me that they would make any major changes.

Edited by Astro Flyer

7 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Enjoy the new experience...as I recall it was more spa experiences & high tech cabin toilets.

I would be surprised if they made changes for one season away from Asia.

I don’t think they made any major changes (a few name or menu changes?) to the Asian designed Majestic when it redeployed to Australia & soon to the West Coast. With their cash flow problems it’s doubtful to me that they would make any major changes.

I didn't know if it was going to be one season or more permanently.

We had high class toilets on our river cruise - they are pretty cool! Not sure if I would like the spa experience though.

Edited by Coral

Just now, Coral said:

I didn't know if it was going to be one season or more permanently.

We had high class toilets on our river cruise - they are pretty cool! Not sure if I would like the spa experience though.

My guess is that even Princess doesn’t know how long the Diamond will be away from the Asian market.