Cruise Critic News: Diamond Princess to End Japan, Asia Cruises in Fall 2021 in Favor of New Destination

LauraS

• Administrators

(5:40 p.m. EDT) -- Princess Cruises has announced it will cancel all sailings aboard the 2,670-passenger Diamond Princess throughout Japan and Asia between October 2021 and April 2022, in favor of redeploying the ship to a new destination. Princess announced the ship will instead set sail for a maiden season in another part of the world, though ...

news?d=yIl2AUoC8zA news?d=qj6IDK7rITs
hQZBSZGmKAA

View the full article

4 hours ago, jow623 said:

We are booked on the Diamond for a Japan Cruisetour Oct. 2, 2021...not one of the dates that are cancelled as of now...should I cancel?

I was booked for a Nov 8, 2021 Japan cruise.  I received an email earlier today notifying me that the cruise has been cancelled

9 hours ago, voljeep said:

unable to open ... sorry

sorry, my bad.  didn't paste the following from the email

VOYAGE REDEPLOYMENT - DIAMOND PRINCESS
Please be advised that due to deployment changes for Diamond Princess for Fall 2021-Spring 2022, your voyage has been cancelled. Diamond Princess' new deployment for this time period will be announced in the next few weeks. Please contact your travel consultant for additional information. We sincerely apologize for any disappointment this cancellation may cause and look forward to welcoming you onboard a Princess ship in the future.

I'm pretty sure it will be southern Africa.

Which could mean:

Cape Town, Durban & Port Elizabeth for South Africa,

Walvis Bay & Luderitz for Namibia,

and perhaps even Mauritius & Reunion as well.

At the end of the month we will know more.

11 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

I'm pretty sure it will be southern Africa.

Which could mean:

Cape Town, Durban & Port Elizabeth for South Africa,

Walvis Bay & Luderitz for Namibia,

and perhaps even Mauritius & Reunion as well.

At the end of the month we will know more.

I'll go!!! I don't like the Diamond because it doesn't have International Cafe but maybe it will ?? In fact, I'll cancel my April 2021 TA and put it on hold ASAP 

On 8/8/2020 at 5:38 PM, Ombud said:

I'll go!!! I don't like the Diamond because it doesn't have International Cafe but maybe it will ?? In fact, I'll cancel my April 2021 TA and put it on hold ASAP 

I really DO love that IC! I think all of their ships should have Vines and the IC.

• 1 month later...

Depends on the flights....started looking... if I can get direct flights from LAX I do that, then take Southwest from McCarren to Los Angeles....although I usually book myself, I will see what Princess offers for flights....in "this day and age", might be better to let them book them for us.  Watching Princess site everyday to see if it's cancelled....how long ago did you book this?  We did it quite a while ago...

11 hours ago, jow623 said:

Depends on the flights....started looking... if I can get direct flights from LAX I do that, then take Southwest from McCarren to Los Angeles....although I usually book myself, I will see what Princess offers for flights....in "this day and age", might be better to let them book them for us.  Watching Princess site everyday to see if it's cancelled....how long ago did you book this?  We did it quite a while ago...

I booked it about a month ago to replace the same cruise July 2020 that was cancelled. I live an hour from LAX but it's such a hassle to get there I prefer to leave out of LAS where we have a place. The flights I had reserved out of LAS were quite good but of course who knows what the new flights will be and at what price. I had a decent business class fare from Princess EZair. When they publish the fares next month I'll make a reservation and then watch prices again.

Your taking a flight to LAX is no different then a flight from LAS to changing in SFO then non stop, still only one change of flight. Next month we'll see. I wrote on our roll too BTW.

Edited by cruzsnooze

I've never booked through EZAir...how do the prices compare with doing it yourself?  We also fly Business..what do you mean by "I'll make a reservation and then watch prices again."   Can you change your fares/prices with Princess once you book with them?  thanks

Just now, jow623 said:

I've never booked through EZAir...how do the prices compare with doing it yourself?  We also fly Business..what do you mean by "I'll make a reservation and then watch prices again."   Can you change your fares/prices with Princess once you book with them?  thanks

EZair has been cheaper flights and I only book first or business. There are 2 options when you pick your flights, flexible fares which you can change up to 45 days prior to departure and restricted which you lock in and can't change. Last year I changed my flights and price several times to Kyoto when some better flights through SFO came around.

2 hours ago, jow623 said:

We book business class/first class through EZ Air all the time.  Best deal out there because if the price goes down before final payment, you can cancel and rebook at the lower price.  Just make sure you choose "Flexible" air when it comes up.  With airlines like British Airways, you have to pay for seat assignments prior to 24-48 hrs. before flying (depending on your status).