Will we really enjoy the new cruising

llawrence

2 hours ago, GlobalMethod said:

"The old that is strong does not wither" ... 🙂 ...

Yeah..I'm sure we could talk books. I read a lot also - have always enjoyed it. Our problem is having TOO many books -have to start weeding out and sending a good amount off to either our church flea market (canceled this summer) or the local library.

“All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”  

20 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

@Germancruiser I realy appreciated your last live review.  It really helps with the cruise withdrawal.  Plus, I love your positive attitude. 

It was nice and enjoyable to read your positive thread,  especially when things are so difficult for everyone right now. 

So thanks in advance, and when do we board!?😉

Thanks so much Shadow- very much appreciated. We we will board on October 2nd. I just called to verify my booking. I know I am in for a rather cold journey- but i heard " indian summer" in the Fjords must be a sight to see!

2 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Thanks so much Shadow- very much appreciated. We we will board on October 2nd. I just called to verify my booking. I know I am in for a rather cold journey- but i heard " indian summer" in the Fjords must be a sight to see!

I just googled and the photos look incredible! You will have a wonderful time!

• Thanks 1

Our next cruise booked is on the Apex in March. I'm hoping it's a go, and I will do what is necessary to be cruising. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't believe it's going to be as bad as some on the forums believe.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Our problem is having TOO many books -have to start weeding out and sending a good amount off to either our church flea market (canceled this summer) or the local library.

Not to keep these responses going forever ... but ... if you want a big problem, trying moving to a new country ... then you must find a new home for ALL your books accumulated over the years, since we are now totally digital ... 🙂 ... your friends don't want to see you anymore because you are always giving them books! Happy Travels!

10 hours ago, GlobalMethod said:

Not to keep these responses going forever ... but ... if you want a big problem, trying moving to a new country ... then you must find a new home for ALL your books accumulated over the years, since we are now totally digital ... 🙂 ... your friends don't want to see you anymore because you are always giving them books! Happy Travels!

Wait...so you're saying one would not even be allowed to bring printed books if moving there? How would they know? 

18 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Wait...so you're saying one would not even be allowed to bring printed books if moving there? How would they know? 

No ... sorry ... I just didn't express myself clearly ... packing for a permanent residency is such a big job there really isn't a way to transport a large number of 'real' books cost effectively ... theoretically you can bring all the 'real' books you want just be prepared to pay the big shipping bill ... In our case it was just more practical to go digital and use the money saved on book shipping costs to buy Greek wine when we got settled ... 🙂 ...

Edited by GlobalMethod
typo

OK..makes sense. Certainly less clutter. I often think about this with all my vinyl LPs - have thought about converting them all to digital, but it's a rather daunting and significant undertaking. Digital is just not the same in a way - I've always enjoyed getting out the album - looking at the cover art, reading the inside liner notes, etc. Still have a turntable, receiver, and two (fairly large cabinet) multi-speaker systems. Also still have two storage cabinets full of VHS tapes. Our place is a testimony to all things retro - including vehicles and garden tractor. Something has to give when we downsize at some point. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

21 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

I just googled and the photos look incredible! You will have a wonderful time!

Reading your comment made me look for myself on google - you are right they pictures look stunning. So I am excited already. I sure will write from the ship. Got my confirmation yesterday and also just found out, that I am going to be tested- I must have overlooked that a test is in order to go. The cruise line will contact me in time to inform how that works out since the price of the test in included in the fare!

• Like 2

Germancruiser...did the cruise line explain how the test will be administered....the new saliva test, or the nose swab test?

I am looking forward to reading and following along while you are on your October Fjords cruise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Germancruiser...did the cruise line explain how the test will be administered....the new saliva test, or the nose swab test?

I am looking forward to reading and following along while you are on your October Fjords cruise!

Luckynana- of that I am curious myself. They cruise contract stated that the Covid19 test is included in the fare. I have no idea how that works. The informatin I got from them is that they will contact me closer to the voyage.

I have never been tested- so that will be a first.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Luckynana said:

For all I know (we are also booked on a TUI cruise) it will be a swab test (PCR). But rather throat than nose. We’ll see...

• Like 1

On 8/19/2020 at 11:45 PM, OnTheJourney said:

Something has to give when we downsize at some point. 

Yes ... the same thing happened to us with our music when we moved to Europe ... we couldn't transport it all economically so we went to "Spotify" ... 🙂 ... pictures of the album covers are on each digital page, it really isn't hard to find your artists and list them ... I have a "Bang & Olufsen" model high end computer so the sound comes across surprisingly well!

7 hours ago, Luckynana said:

We have done the Fjords by cruise and it was one of our favorites! We are also watching for these reports on how the new cruise standards are administered! Good Luck and Happy Travels!

Edited by GlobalMethod
typo

2 hours ago, GlobalMethod said:

We have done the Fjords by cruise and it was one of our favorites! We are also watching for these reports on how the new cruise standards are administered! Good Luck and Happy Travels!

I written a live from the first pandemic cruise on this board and it is really not a big deal. Also I am sure that " this new cruising " is only temporary. Cruise Line can not to for ever sail with only 60% passegners. The crucical point- sailing with less passengers- which allows to adhere to new cruise rules.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Germancruiser said:

Cruise Line can not to for ever sail with only 60% passegners. 

I totally agree ... I think the Cruise Lines see it from a total liability viewpoint which may make the "new cruising" last for a long time ... at least until a vaccine is truly validated

1 hour ago, Germancruiser said:

Cruise Line can not to for ever sail with only 60% passegners. 

I totally agree ... I think the Cruise Lines see it from a total liability viewpoint which may make the "new cruising" last for a long time ... at least until a vaccine is truly validated

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2020 at 5:15 AM, Germancruiser said:

Cruise Line can not to for ever sail with only 60% passegners

Money is the bottom line....same with restaurant limited capacity, etc. Just sad that this COVID thing has become so politicized. It does not ultimately help to productively move forward. The virus doesn't give a crapola about which party is in power, who wins or loses, whether wearing a mask is right or wrong, etc. It will continue to do its thing regardless of how we continue to bicker over it.  The divisiveness taking place in the US only serves to make things worse - no matter which side of the mask you're on. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My next cruise is to the Caribbean in February 2021 to escape the Michigan winter.  If the ship sails, I'll be on it.  As long as I have my balcony, I can walk the top deck in the morning, there's a place to find some food and a bars open, I'll be just fine.

Keeping my fingers crossed, but realizing it may not happen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Anything is better than sitting at home looking at old cruise ship pictures and videos.

Well I did that a lot in the past few month. Looking at old pictures from my cruises past was nothing compared to an actual cruise-  I agree. The pandemic may ´have stopped cruising for the time beeing, but our memories are ours and I am thankfull I have to pictures and memories of cruises past.

I count myself lucky to have been able to experience all those great times, seeing wonderful places around the globe - not all are as lucky- or blessed - whatever one may call it.

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Like 1