Carnival may resume US cruises in 2020

BlerkOne

9 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Rise up? For what? Having the frivolous luxury of taking a vacation?  Sorry, there are a ton of more important social & political issues that would beckon first.

• Like 11

On the news this morning they were discussing how colleges and dorm life are similar to cruising.  Large crowds in small areas is the issue on hand and not going very well for some Universities.  Large groups parties and little social distancing without masks is the main concern for cruising as well as University life.  I live near SUNY Buffalo and they have not resumed yet.  Next week the students will start to move into the Dorms.  It will be interesting to see the effects since the area positivity rate is currently around 1.8%.  The outcome of Universities and Colleges resuming limited in class instruction and dorm housing will definitively impact how and when cruising will resume IMO.   

2 minutes ago, skridge said:

I noticed he said doom and gloom.  He must be on cruise critic more than he let's on.  Maybe one of the screen names that has been calling me doom and gloom since March is actually JH.

He’s on Cruise Critic each day staying up-to-date with information.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Haha 1

Also, John Heald mentions that cruising has restarted in Europe, but doesn’t mention with what stipulations:

* No buffets

* reduced passenger capacity

* 10% of cabins reserved for potential covid cases

* no independent port tours - passengers allowed to disembark at ports only if they PURCHASE a ship sponsored tour.

* no menus - everything done by scanning bar codes

* reduced number of people in pools and on decks

* and several others

Would the average Carnival cruiser be willing to accept these changes?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Also, John Heald mentions that cruising has restarted in Europe, but doesn’t mention with what stipulations:

* No buffets

* no independent port tours - passengers allowed to disembark at ports only if they PURCHASE a ship sponsored tour.

* and several others

I love cruising, BUT this is not my idea of a great vacation.  Especially bothersome is the port restriction on tours and being able.to get off the ship.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, RD64 said:

* No buffets

* and several others

I would pass.   Sounds like cruising on the Fantasy while it's being chopped up in Alang.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Interesting that Carnival's CEO says it's too early to say if cruising will restart in 2020 while John Herald seems so sure that not only will they restart in November, but perhaps earlier. Maybe he missed a memo....

Of course JH is saying that - it is his job to be as positive as possible.  What kind of Brand Ambassador would keep their job going around saying "you know, maybe we won't cruise this year, perhaps not until April 2021 based on how the US is handling the coronavirus pandemic, so stop getting excited about all this stuff - it is a luxury many people can't afford anyway, so just be happy you are alive!"

And it is up to the CEO to provide statements that are vague enough that they cannot be taken as official guidance.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

He’s on Cruise Critic each day staying up-to-date with information.

Hi

They may have cut back in these recent times, but he normally would have his minions doing that for him. His main task is to determine how best to express to us how many fingers are crossed at this point in time. Everyone understands how many jobs are at stake, those little fish as well as those fat cats, and I am not specifically point at John himself. 

1 hour ago, RD64 said:

* No buffets

* and several others

No menus?  How does that work? How do people see what's for dinner? I guess I'm tech challenged but dont see how you order from a bar code for dinner onboard  ship. Or breakfast and lunch, snacks. 

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

No menus?  How does that work? How do people see what's for dinner? I guess I'm tech challenged but dont see how you order from a bar code for dinner onboard  ship. Or breakfast and lunch, snacks. 

You use your phone’s camera to scan a QR code. That launches a webpage with a menu that you can read on your phone.

I hate it and ask for an actual menu when dining.

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

They had a QR code posted at the table that you used your phone to look the menu up. Some restaurants where I live have done that as well so they don't have to sanitize the menus between every diner.

2 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

You use your phone’s camera to scan a QR code. That launches a webpage with a menu that you can read on your phone.

I hate it and ask for an actual menu when dining.

Lol ain't going to happen. Dont wanna learn and dont use my smart phone hardly, use a tablet on wifi. 

This bar code thing works offline? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Lol ain't going to happen. Dont wanna learn and dont use my smart phone hardly, use a tablet on wifi. 

This bar code thing works offline? 

You’ll have to be connected to the ship’s WiFi but they’ll have the menu on a website that can be loaded for free without an Internet-enabled plan.

I prefer physical menus.

Just now, xDisconnections said:

You’ll have to be connected to the ship’s WiFi but they’ll have the menu on a website that can be loaded for free without an Internet-enabled plan.

I prefer physical menus.

My phone stays in the safe, if I bring it on board at all.   I'm sure they have backup plans.