Packing

emam

As our staycation gets nearer my thoughts are turning to packing. As most of you travel frequently,  how do you pack your cases? Do you roll or fold, use packing cubes or dry cleaner bags or tissue paper, or any other item to pack. Do you have any tips to share. What size cases do you use.  I am asking both for staycation and cruising. 

As our staycation gets nearer my thoughts are turning to packing. As most of you travel frequently,  how do you pack your cases? Do you roll or fold, use packing cubes or dry cleaner bags or tissue paper, or any other item to pack. Do you have any tips to share. What size cases do you use.  I am asking both for staycation and cruising. 

I usually just fold and never have much of a problem with things creasing too much even when I’ve packed a few days in advance. I have just bought some packing cubes though as a hotel we stayed in last summer had mostly open shelves for clothes storage and having the clothes in cubes would have made life easier. I’m hoping they’ll fit nicely in the shelf part of a cruise cabin wardrobe but have yet to try that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For years I’ve just folded and really didn’t get much creased, last year I brought some packing cubes and I only use these for smaller items like underwear, socks, medications and first aid , makeup and hair stuff , bathroom and goodies, sometimes my husbands T shirts but I find I get on better putting the rest in a big suit case , enjoy your staycation 

I just fold and hang everything up when I arrive and store as little as possible in drawers. By the second day any creases have gone and have never had to iron anything when away. The only caveat is that if it's creased before you pack it it won't magically iron itself, a source of deep regret.

My only other tip is that I keep a packing list covering all types of holidays on Word (it isn't precise about individual items of clothing) and just run off a copy when needed - it avoids forgetting the miscellaneous odds and ends that have been left behind in the past. I have a "do before" holidays list stored as well, and an evening wear list of what jewellery/shoes goes with what and several others I won't bore you with. Suspect this indicates some sort of syndrome or other.😂

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

Sorry about the duplicate posts, my phone had a funny 5 minutes 🙄

You can report it by clicking on one of the icons on the top RHS and reporting the post and will be sorted.  I have already done that for your second and third posts, so no need now, but useful to know the system to use if there is a problem in future. 🙂

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

My friend has a packing tip she swears by. She lays a bath towel in the bottom of the case leaving the longest piece outside. Packs the case and folds the rest of the towel over the top, fastens the straps and closes the case. She tells me they come out uncreased and don't slide around in the case. I've not tried it, my cases are heavy enough without adding extra weight.😉

Avril

1 hour ago, AnnieC said:

I just fold and hang everything up when I arrive and store as little as possible in drawers. By the second day any creases have gone and have never had to iron anything when away. The only caveat is that if it's creased before you pack it it won't magically iron itself, a source of deep regret.

My only other tip is that I keep a packing list covering all types of holidays on Word (it isn't precise about individual items of clothing) and just run off a copy when needed - it avoids forgetting the miscellaneous odds and ends that have been left behind in the past. I have a "do before" holidays list stored as well, and an evening wear list of what jewellery/shoes goes with what and several others I won't bore you with. Suspect this indicates some sort of syndrome or other.😂

I have a similar document. I call it my universal packing list and it includes everything I might want to take on any kind of holiday in any season. I just copy it with a file name refering to my forthcoming holiday then delete from this copy anything I will not be taking, so nothing gets missed. Then I print it out.

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Denarius said:

I have a similar document. I call it my universal packing list and it includes everything I might want to take on any kind of holiday in any season. I just copy it with a file name refering to my forthcoming holiday then delete from this copy anything I will not be taking, so nothing gets missed. Then I print it out.

I use a similar method, but mine's called a list. I'm not as technically minded as you Denarius. I write down everything we will need and add to it as I remember other things. As I pack I cross things off, then double check. I have separate lists for clothes, medicines etc and toiletries. Simple enough for me, but it still doesn't stop me forgetting things sometimes😄

Avril

• Like 1

I have a packing master list. Everything I would possibly need is on there. I print  copy of the master list, and cross out everything that is not required for the holiday that I’m due to take.

Everything  that is left is what I pack.

i normally just neatly fold things to pack, but a couple of years ago, I had a challenge. We were going on two legs of a world cruise, flying there and back. We had one case each, for a 49 day holiday, including formal nights. I rolled clothes and found it that it did create more space in the suitcase, and I stuffed socks and other smalls into shoes, which was also a space saver.

We had to use the laundrette on board and the laundry service, but found it quite refreshing to only have a limited amount of clothes to choose from. It made things simple 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AnnieC said:

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

My wife writes a new list every time, Lord knows why I never thought of creating an electronic version but I will now.

Thank you both 👍

• Like 1

I keep a universal list on my computer  and print a copy for every holiday. I love packing cubes,especially when draw space is limited, good for open shelves as well.  I tend to pack a capsule wardrobe with mainly 2 or 3 colours, perhaps with an accent colour, then everything mixes and matches. Shoes are my undoing I'm afraid....

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DamianG said:

My wife writes a new list every time, Lord knows why I never thought of creating an electronic version but I will now.

Thank you both 👍

There seem to be a few of us now emerging shyly from the undergrowth.😄

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I have a packing master list. Everything I would possibly need is on there. I print  copy of the master list, and cross out everything that is not required for the holiday that I’m due to take.

Everything  that is left is what I pack.

Exactly what I do, plus I pack a copy for packing reminders on the last day of the holiday. 

When a daughter went on her first cruise she asked for my list so emailed it to her. What I forgot to do was take off things for cottage holidays, like J cloths and loo rolls...😂

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Exactly what I do, plus I pack a copy for packing reminders on the last day of the holiday. 

When a daughter went on her first cruise she asked for my list so emailed it to her. What I forgot to do was take off things for cottage holidays, like J cloths and loo rolls...😂

I've got dog food and poo bags on mine!!!!😁🐕

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We also have Wordpad lists for Air/Cruise and UK travel and print off 

copies as and when needed .

I found it so handy that we have things like Christmas shopping lists to 

avoid racking our brains out of what we need ,which are stored in the PC's cloud .

We also invested in a couple of decent suitcases by Tripp. 

All other cases  were damaged or fell apart within a few years .

These move easy on four wheels or two saving a lot of lugging around .

They also lock by code,so no lost keys and can double up as a safe when nipping

out of a hotel room for quick bite to eat should your room not have a safe ,very handy.

They are brightly coloured so you can not miss them on the airports carousels.

We also bought a band that clips around the case with our names embroidered

in large letters into the band .

Within the case we always carry a large A4 that reads ...

"IF FOUND PLEASE PHONE " With our mobile number written down .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

Thank you both 👍

I know why, for the same reason I do. So she can add on all the new clothes she buys😁

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

avoid racking our brains out of what we need ,which are stored in the PC's cloud .

out of a hotel room for quick bite to eat should your room not have a safe ,very handy.

Yep, I've got Christmas shopping lists (and menus) stored. I've even got one for where I put the Christmas decorations; saves hours of faffing around. Oh dear...

NURSE!!

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, kalos said:

Wow, now that kalos, is what I call efficiency.

Avril

• Haha 1

Instead of packing cubes, I made an assortment of cloth bags, like pump bags but with the end boxed. I roll socks or underwear and pack into a block shape. One bag for each set. They pack well and can easily be adjusted for size. Other bags are used for chargers, or assorted bits. Keeps everything tidy, bags for in drawers or on shelves. 

We learnt a valuable lesson when we had our lightweight cases made of cloth were left out in the rain for a couple of hours at Barcelona port, lots of clothes were soaked - we now line them inside with polythene. It saved us when the same thing happened in Barbados.

Edited by bee-ess

4 hours ago, kalos said:

We have similar cases which lock by code and we write a similar message on A4 paper which we put inside the cases.However I do wonder how anyone would be able to get inside the suitcase to read the message!!!

I also write a list but apart from the obvious undies, socks etc I never know which clothes to add. One day I will write one to keep electronically.

For our 1st cruise, I bought a couple of small cube like cases from a cheap shop which are brilliant. They are oblong and inside have a small bag fastened with Velcro and pockets stitched on the lid. As I have small feet (4) my shoes fit perfectly in the case/cube/bag on the bottom with the velcro bag as a barrier and my evening bag goes on top. The pockets in the lid can be used for jewellery.

I used another one for first aid stuff. The bags were so good I bought a few more. Hubby has shoe kit in one, they are the right size for socks. The pockets hold the small tea lights for the cabin. They are handy for cables/chargers. I now use a couple of them for shoes.

I have one set of cubes which I don't know where I got them from. The large one is too big for my case and is used at home to store the clothes. We have one each and the one I used was great to just take out of the bag and put on the shelf. I'm looking for some more but can't decide on which ones to buy. I don't want to go for the ones that are compression only and we only have the one big holiday a year, so don't want to pay too much.

I also have lots of cloth bags and drawstring ones, they are good as they can be squashed in the case. 

14 minutes ago, ann141 said:

We have similar cases which lock by code and we write a similar message on A4 paper which we put inside the cases.However I do wonder how anyone would be able to get inside the suitcase to read the message!!!

I would hope that the Airport security would find my case and then open it with the built in TSA lock :classic_smile: