Help Me Understand Health Policy

ridgerunner51

Can someone help me understand the line highlighted in yellow.  What does "at risk" mean?

Health Screening and Illness Surveillance Procedures Under Consideration:

• All guests and crew embarking a ship will undergo enhanced pre-embarkation health screening in accordance with prevailing health best practices, such as health questionnaires and touch-free temperature checks as appropriate
  • Those identified at risk will undergo an additional health evaluation by medical staff
  • Health checks as appropriate during the cruise for guests and crew
  • Rapid response and contact tracing plans in case of on-board illness

14 minutes ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

I'm no expert but I imagine that means if you show signs indicative of the virus, without symptoms, then this would apply.   Things like a fever, uncontrolled coughing, shortness of breath, etc...     

I'm not sure I understand your wording. Fever, coughing and shortness of breath are symptoms. What do you mean by "signs indicative of the virus, without symptoms"? Can you clarify?

• Like 1

I would guess it refers to those the medical staff might fear are at risk as determined in step one.

I would also guess they are looking for those who might personally be at heightened risk of catching the virus, and those who might be potential carriers of the virus.  It is probably designed to give the staff the right to deny boarding on a "best guess" basis.

My opinion only, worth something less than two cents.

53 minutes ago, OceanZena said:

I'm not sure I understand your wording. Fever, coughing and shortness of breath are symptoms. What do you mean by "signs indicative of the virus, without symptoms"? Can you clarify?

Again just a guess.   Lets take fever.   If you show up and they find you with a slight fever, I'd guess they'd want to take a closer look at you.   Not everyone with a fever has Covid.   I wasn't saying if you show up with a fever, shortness of breath and a cough.  But if they check you out and you show signs of one of the symptoms, then they'd want to take a closer look at you.

49 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

If I had to guess, I would say people on oxygen, those undergoing chemo, etc. 

Unless they said idk how you would know who was undergoing chemo. Other than losing hair, not readily visible. My cousins husband is doing chemo but still doing a lot of hiking/walking in a nature preserve they belong to, so he would appear to the naked eye as healthy.

3 minutes ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

Again just a guess.   Lets take fever.   If you show up and they find you with a slight fever, I'd guess they'd want to take a closer look at you.   Not everyone with a fever has Covid.   I wasn't saying if you show up with a fever, shortness of breath and a cough.  But if they check you out and you show signs of one of the symptoms, then they'd want to take a closer look at you.

Thanks for the clarification. I understand now.

I agree with others that those on oxygen or with visibly apparent underlying conditions would most likely be closer evaluated, but I would think that those people wouldn't feel comfortable cruising anyway until a vaccine is available. Though I could be wrong. I know I wouldn't. 

It says they have to fill out a questionnaire. So if there are answers that are "yes" relating to a medical condition as in were you exposed to anyone with Covid-19, did you have any cough or fever...the same questions they ask at dr offices now or hair/nail salons. Then they take your temperature. At risk would be any yes answers or a temperature. The cruise lines are covering themselves. Now my feeling is IF you are in a high risk group - over 70, or have health issues such as an autoimmune disease or condition, you may want to wait for a vaccine or the panic to subside. Before I get flamed by everyone, I am only suggesting that they wait and not be one of the first groups until the cruise lines can safely deal with this.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bitemyfly said:

My guess - Over 65, obesity,  o2 tanks,  requiring a needle disposal container , Pre disclosed medical conditions requiring  med equipment and who knows what other questions will be on questionnaires. 

My guess is that it doesn't mean any of those things. In fact the people mentioned in the quote are probably least likely to be looked at because they have likely been following the mask and quarantine rules much more closely than the younger people and are thus less likely to be carriers.

They are going to take a closer look at people who have a temp when it is check or who outwardly appear sick. Even taking a look doesn't mean they aren't going to keep you from sailing. They will also probably take a closer look at familes with young children, and college age people, as those are the most likely to be asymptomatic carriers.

Edited by zqvol

Here is what I have seen. If a guest shows signs of sickness the people at check in may refer them to the ship's doctor to evaluate them for sailing. This is pre-covid. Same for the health questionnaires, when they had them. 

I also know for a fact that on the last sailings if you answered a certain way regarding where you had traveled  they would automatically deny you boarding.

I would only guess something similar.

I coincidentally was on the last few sailings out of Galveston, even received the email from Carnival that I had potentially been exposed because someone on one of them had tested positive. 

Edited by Bgcruising

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

At risk easily identified would be anyone over 60 or obviously overweight tbh. Though hopefully they dont mean those like above. Discrimination. But true.

Yes, but the cruise line already knows ages and any requested "special needs" well before embarkation.  If I'm over 65 and traveling alone, and they had a problem with that, it should be addressed well before the day of sailing.  

• Like 1