Princess Announces Its 2021-22 Australian Season!

10 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree that $46 per day is a good price, but it wouldn't be worth it for me. I have free internet with Princess anyway, and the most I drink is half a bottle of wine a day. I take my own when I can and pay the corkage.

I am looking at a couple of segments of the WC. These are expensive, even without the extra $46 per day.

For us it's worth it, just, especially on the longer cruises where our free internet has to be rationed carefully. I kept a good record of our drinks spending on the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise we did last year and it was higher than $46pp per day. We do like our pre-dinner cocktails, wine with dinner, and a nightcap after dinner.

Yes, the world cruises are expensive unfortunately.

11 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

i thought the prices looked quite high, too - haven't sailed with them before so don't have a point of reference.

It depends on the itinerary. Some are the same prices as previous cruises, others are more expensive.

I haven't compared the latest releases across other lines but did do so a couple of years ago and Princess was competitive. Cheaper than Celebrity

7 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

i thought the prices looked quite high, too - haven't sailed with them before so don't have a point of reference.

Prices on the WC are higher than on other Princess cruises. My theory is that passengers spend less on board per day because of the length of the cruise and the overall cost of their trip. We have done a few long segments on world cruises and several people have remarked that they weren't buying alcohol because they had to cut back the cost when they were going to be on the ship for 106 nights. Princess has to make their money somewhere, so the per day cost is higher. Another point is that they fill the ship anyway, so why reduce the price.

On a 'normal' cruise (7 nights or 14 nights) it is fairly easy to pick up a bargain. If the lead-in price for an inside cabin is around $150pp per night, then it is worth considering. Other categories would also be reduced in price. For P&O, we look for $100 per night on an oceanview cabin as a yard-stick, although we might book a balcony.

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Prices on the WC are higher than on other Princess cruises. My theory is that passengers spend less on board per day because of the length of the cruise and the overall cost of their trip. We have done a few long segments on world cruises and several people have remarked that they weren't buying alcohol because they had to cut back the cost when they were going to be on the ship for 106 nights. Princess has to make their money somewhere, so the per day cost is higher. Another point is that they fill the ship anyway, so why reduce the price.

On a 'normal' cruise (7 nights or 14 nights) it is fairly easy to pick up a bargain. If the lead-in price for an inside cabin is around $150pp per night, then it is worth considering. Other categories would also be reduced in price. For P&O, we look for $100 per night on an oceanview cabin as a yard-stick, although we might book a balcony.

I think I mentioned on here a couple of years ago re a couple of cruiseaholic and alcoholic friends from Batemans Bay who did the 104 day Worldie on Sea Princess, think it was in 2017 and took the drinks package each for the full journey.  We worked out the cost, astronomical, nearly 20 grand.  They drank 12 hours a day to get their moneys worth.

Edited by NSWP

15 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

For us it's worth it, just, especially on the longer cruises where our free internet has to be rationed carefully. I kept a good record of our drinks spending on the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise we did last year and it was higher than $46pp per day. We do like our pre-dinner cocktails, wine with dinner, and a nightcap after dinner.

Yes, the world cruises are expensive unfortunately.

Worldies are very expensive, because they know the Aussies and Kiwis will pay the money and they fill the ship quickly.  I priced the Princess Worldie for 2021, travelling solo, around $50 grand, almost $500 per diem, way too much money for me and that is before buying a drink and a tour, add another 10 grand for them. Holy moly, would have to sell the house.

Edited by NSWP

I just compared the base fare for the full World Cruise with that of the Round Australia cruise, which is also expensive.

Oddly enough the difference pp per day for inside cabins was much higher than for balcony cabins. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

10 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I think I mentioned on here a couple of years ago re a couple of cruiseaholic and alcoholic friends from Batemans Bay who did the 104 day Worldie on Sea Princess, think it was in 2017 and took the drinks package each for the full journey.  We worked out the cost, astronomical, nearly 20 grand.  They drank 12 hours a day to get their moneys worth.

We had the $59pp per day drinks package on three cruises but gave up getting it because we barely broke even on two of those cruises due to poor wine service in the MDRs. But at the cheaper cost also including internet it's worth trying again. 

We didn't have to drink 12 hours a day though, we were just breaking even with our regular drinks routine but needed one extra cocktail a day to break even when the wine service was poor. 

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We had the $59pp per day drinks package on three cruises but gave up getting it because we barely broke even on two of those cruises due to poor wine service in the MDRs. But at the cheaper cost also including internet it's worth trying again. 

We didn't have to drink 12 hours a day though, we were just breaking even with our regular drinks routine but needed one extra cocktail a day to break even when the wine service was poor. 

Having done about 20 Princess cruises, mostly long ones, our daily booze budget in recent years was $50 for two, so a drink each before dinner, ie. Cider and Mojito and bottle of the cheap Chilean wine for dinner.  Like you, no way would the drinks package have been justified for us.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Prices on the WC are higher than on other Princess cruises. My theory is that passengers spend less on board per day because of the length of the cruise and the overall cost of their trip.

World cruises are more expensive as they cost a lot more to organise. They require separate navigation planning, port planning, logistics and tour organisation and provisioning. Unlike the others which are repeated (with slight variation), each is done one-off each year here so that just costs more, unlike something you can repeat with less effort.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

World cruises are more expensive as they cost a lot more to organise. They require separate navigation planning, port planning, logistics and tour organisation and provisioning. Unlike the others which are repeated (with slight variation), each is done one-off each year here so that just costs more, unlike something you can repeat with less effort.

That's a good point.

23 hours ago, NSWP said:

Holy cow, did your friends remember any of that cruise.😱

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, NSWP said:

They still remember it as they are probably still paying off their Credit Card.🤑

I reckon they would be. I could never justify spending all that money on booze, also they would have taken me off in a body bag after so much alcohol 🤮🤮🤮

• Thanks 1

We have a drink (sometimes two) every other day at home, no more than 3 times a week. When cruising, we have a few drinks every day, which is fine for a normal 7-14 day cruise but even then not every day, the liver needs a break.

As for a world cruise, no way,  drinking everyday is not good for you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/11/2020 at 1:43 PM, joejoe 59 said:

I reckon they would be. I could never justify spending all that money on booze, also they would have taken me off in a body bag after so much alcohol 🤮🤮🤮

Probably use a goon sack instead of a body bag.

31 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

So, who is planning to book a cruise on Tuesday (if Elite) or Wednesday?

Me! Me! Me!

Yes, I'm planning on booking three but two are Plan A and Plan B for the same time of year. Which we finally go on will depend on whether the Pacific Princess Sydney to Yokohama cruise we have booked for next April actually happens or gets cancelled. 

• Like 1

Wonderful [emoji122] me too - World Cruise leg - Dover to Sydney on Coral, July 2022! Our first (sector of) WC !!

We also have the 35 day Syd/ Hawaii / Syd cruise in May 21 booked.

Then when Regal was cancelled - booked QE for December ‘21 - 22 days around NZ. ...... then Cunard did all those cancellations [emoji15] but the cruise is for the 14/12 so 🤞

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Wonderful emoji122.png me too - World Cruise leg - Dover to Sydney on Coral, July 2022! Our first (sector of) WC !!

We also have the 35 day Syd/ Hawaii / Syd cruise in May 21 booked.

Then when Regal was cancelled - booked QE for December ‘21 - 22 days around NZ. ...... then Cunard did all those cancellations emoji15.png but the cruise is for the 14/12 so 🤞

If everything goes to plan for both of us, I will see you on the WC.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Porky55 said:

So, who is planning to book a cruise on Tuesday (if Elite) or Wednesday?

We are in. We are using our FCD and FCC's before they expire, for a NZ cruise in February 2022. If it doesn't go ahead because of COVID-19, nothing lost as Princess will in all likelihood be bankrupt. 😒

• Haha 1