Speculation how embarkation and debarkation changes

magictam

The only way they can space people out disembarking and boarding and have time to thoroughly sanitize and clean the ship between cruises will be to have an overnight between the two or to move sail away to late at night. Since most itineraries will need to be revamped anyway due to island restrictions this may be in the works. I could see a late sail away more than an overnight since and overnight puts the dock out of service for 2 days.  But you may see people debarking from 7-1, and then embarking from 2-7 with a sailaway at 8 Or 9. Having lunch on the ship may be a thing of the past which may be good because it would free some crew up to help clean.

Edited by sanger727

3 hours ago, sanger727 said:

But you may see people debarking from 7-1

I think they are more concerned with getting people onboard than off. The people debarking are low end spenders by that time. If they need more time to clean/sanitize, I see them getting people off earlier than later. If the last debark call was 9AM before, it may be 7AM or even 6AM now. 

3 hours ago, sanger727 said:

The only way they can space people out disembarking and boarding and have time to thoroughly sanitize and clean the ship between cruises will be to have an overnight between the two or to move sail away to late at night. Since most itineraries will need to be revamped anyway due to island restrictions this may be in the works. I could see a late sail away more than an overnight since and overnight puts the dock out of service for 2 days.  But you may see people debarking from 7-1, and then embarking from 2-7 with a sailaway at 8 Or 9. Having lunch on the ship may be a thing of the past which may be good because it would free some crew up to help clean.

I don't think sanitizing the ship is going to be the big concern.  It seems since this virus is spread through the air social distancing and mask wearing are going to be the biggest priorities along with some sort of quick test.  You also have to hope the test has zero false negatives.  After my experience this past weekend at a condo complex at the beach and the number of people refusing to wear a mask even when there were signs everywhere saying it was mandatory.  It just doesn't seem to me to be a viable option to start cruising again anytime soon.

12 minutes ago, skridge said:

....After my experience this past weekend at a condo complex at the beach and the number of people refusing to wear a mask even when there were signs everywhere saying it was mandatory.  It just doesn't seem to me to be a viable option to start cruising again anytime soon.

This is a large part of the problem: people who reject complying with precautions are largely responsible for the need to keep the precautions in place.  After “you can’t teach the stupid”, trying to teach the selfish is the next hurdle.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, skridge said:

I don't think sanitizing the ship is going to be the big concern.  It seems since this virus is spread through the air social distancing and mask wearing are going to be the biggest priorities along with some sort of quick test.  You also have to hope the test has zero false negatives.  After my experience this past weekend at a condo complex at the beach and the number of people refusing to wear a mask even when there were signs everywhere saying it was mandatory.  It just doesn't seem to me to be a viable option to start cruising again anytime soon.

I do think they will sanitize the ship between cruises even if touching items is not the main spreader, the CDC still says it is a spreader. There will be people who get covid during or shortly after the cruise and doing a thorough sanitization is a safety measure to keep one sailing from impacting future sailings.

There will inevitably be false negatives, that is unavoidable. They will have to continue with the mask wearing.  Yes, I think that stubborn people not wearing a mask will be one of the biggest hurdles they have to overcome. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, fla gang said:

Sail aways may be backed up till 6 or 7pm because of the extra time to get passengers on the ship. You may not be able to debark until 10 or 11 am because of distancing.

Accepting the necessity for more time to process passengers (boarding and de barking) and to clean the ship,  it is hard to see how slowing debarking by four or five hours (from  6:00 to 10:00 - 11:00 AM). would only delay sail away by two hours or so.  I would think a four hour morning delay - plus an hour or so for extra cleaning time - would delay sail-away until closer to midnight.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Accepting the necessity for more time to process passengers (boarding and de barking) and to clean the ship,  it is hard to see how slowing debarking by four or five hours (from  6:00 to 10:00 - 11:00 AM). would only delay sail away by two hours or so.  I would think a four hour morning delay - plus an hour or so for extra cleaning time - would delay sail-away until closer to midnight.

And that is very possible, but since we don't know how long until all of the cruise lines start operating, everything is just a guess. Let's just hope they can all survive financially. 

On 9/21/2020 at 9:11 AM, navybankerteacher said:

This is a large part of the problem: people who reject complying with precautions are largely responsible for the need to keep the precautions in place.  After “you can’t teach the stupid”, trying to teach the selfish is the next hurdle.

Too bad we can't get an agreement that anyone who refuses to wear a mask or ignore other social distance or safety precautions forfeits their right to medical treatment when they catch COVID.  

If they are found to be transmitters of the disease to others, then perhaps they might also be liable for civil and/or criminal penalties as well.

36 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Too bad we can't get an agreement that anyone who refuses to wear a mask or ignore other social distance or safety precautions forfeits their right to medical treatment when they catch COVID.  

If they are found to be transmitters of the disease to others, then perhaps they might also be liable for civil and/or criminal penalties as well.

HARSH.....I agree.......but not practicable as outside National waters 12 miles in most cases you are in international water. Under what juristiction would you prosecute in civil or criminal courts? Remember the Regent ships are not US flagged and so only the Registering country would have this right in law, in most cases these are Flags of Convenience with small obscure countries with limited legal enforcement, in Regent's case the Bahamas and the Marshall Islands, as UK trained not aware of how easy this would be ?

Legal boys will get rich on this before it would work?

At least  the grey matter got working on this, might keep a few in high rewarding gainful employment for a few years.

On 9/22/2020 at 3:32 PM, evandbob said:

We can also say that fat people, drinkers and smokers shall forfeit their rights to medical treatments. Do we want that?

At some stage.... A ship will come into port... people will get off....

The crew will take a sesta,,, while the magical fairy cleans the ship

Then people will get on the ship....  and the ship will leave.....

After which the dog will bark...... I think that sums it up.......

So when things involving people get on and off ship starts in earnest.... we will know...

Don   

On 9/21/2020 at 12:07 AM, bigrednole said:

I expect boarding times to be adhered to. They may include a time that you can even get into the port. In other word, if your boarding pass has a port time of 1PM, you will be turned away from the port at 12:50PM to go to the back of the line of vehicles to do it all over again. There will be screening procedures and those may be away from the actual terminal.

Taxi drivers are not going to like that... some ports do not lend themselves to scheduled boarding times well.  San Francisco is one of those ports, traffic on the entry to the port can become like a parking lot.  When we go there we usually go very early by taxi and wait.  In February, the Grand Princess was late returning from Hawaii because of an injured passenger.   We were advised not to arrive early.  I ignored that direction, went early and waited.  I was very happy I did because traffic and people only got worse over the day.  Ship did not start boarding til 8 pm, I was at the front of the line.    I hate to think what boarding will be like when cruising begins again, for that reason, I wait a year before returning to cruising.  By then we may have a vaccine and the old problem solved.  I hope so.  I am booked for Jan 2022.