Is Platinum level worth booking 9 nights?

marybeealex

4 hours ago, twangster said:

The whine starts at Diamond but it's light whine.  As you progress the whine gets stronger.    

They really need another level between D+ and P because there is clear distinction in the quality of whine in between.

Humor Thread worthy

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Let's be honest, P have nothing to whine about.  

Agreed and honestly most P aren't whiners.  There are a small minority that stand out in the crowd.  There are whiners at every tier but some of the P whiners are pro at it.  They really are not representative of the whole tier, far from it.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the advice and laughs - I definitely wouldn't choose an itinerary I didn't like just to get the extra points, but there are a few Royal 9-nights I've got my eye on.  We'll see what the future brings! I do hope we can all set sail safely in the near future!

17 hours ago, fred30 said:

Your level should be on the bottom of your list when choosing your cruise.   Decide by what's more important to you like the itinerary or the ship etc.

The Platinum status really isn't much anyway.  Don't spend extra money just to get a few more points.

Eh... why should it be on the bottom of the list? We became much more loyal to Royal around reaching DL, because Royal benefits add a lot to whole experience.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, firefly333 said:

At platinum I think you get free wine? Or I did but it's been a while. Back then you had a bar at night you went to and could get red or white wine or champagne. It's usually been near diamond lounge which is free mixed drinks.

There was a dining room at platinum with better service and a couple of free coffees. I think one was mocha latte that I used to get.

So to me these were good as I like wine and the coffee at the dining room for platinum and up.

Never heard of that one for Platinum...except the Upper tier party...which is just one evening during the cruise.  And now they have eliminated that on cruises under 7 nights.  

What you are describing would be Diamond and up perks.  Back when Diamonds were kicked out of the CL many years ago, the ships started setting up the "Diamond events" for Diamonds to appease them...in one of the public lounges, held for just a couple of hours each night.  House wine, cheap bubbly, and 25% off mixed drinks.  No Happy tisers, except bar snacks in a cup.  

Diamond and up area set up in dining room for breakfast...where you could get your complimentary Lattes, etc.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, yogimax said:

Congratulations!  Next goal... 350.

The meal with an officer is a favorite perk, even it's a somewhat low level officer.  We had a grand time with the guy in charge of the laundry.

I love those also.  Always a good time, and usually one of the better meals on the ship!   

Also adored that Captain's dinner we had with you and our favorite HD....JD.  Still love that picture of the event.   I smile and say "hello" to you when I look at it.  😉 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, island lady said:

Never heard of that one for Platinum...except the Upper tier party...which is just one evening during the cruise.  And now they have eliminated that on cruises under 7 nights.  

What you are describing would be Diamond and up perks.  Back when Diamonds were kicked out of the CL many years ago, the ships started setting up the "Diamond events" for Diamonds to appease them...in one of the public lounges, held for just a couple of hours each night.  House wine, cheap bubbly, and 25% off mixed drinks.  No Happy tisers, except bar snacks in a cup.  

Diamond and up area set up in dining room for breakfast...where you could get your complimentary Lattes, etc.  

I am sure in the last 15 years as platinum I got free wine in a lounge. Then they added emerald. My cruises are back perhaps and I wasnt cruising as often. I remember it was up in the crows nest area. Diamond on the other side. I had the wine more than once, and skipped dinner and just did snacks with the wine and great ocean view. It happened. It wasnt as crowded as diamond lounge, but I'm sure we got free wine. Choice of red or white or champagne. I didnt imagine it or make this up.

I was lower level and did mostly carnival for a while. Had double the loyalty pts on carnival.

I'm sure it existed. Now you get the 3 free drinks ....it was way before that. I havent been on rcl in over 5 years, things changed, some just dont remember how the lower level perks were. Decided to come back to royal when I noticed I'm diamond. Then covid ... so still havent been on rcl for a long time. My past rcl cruises are so old they all fell off. None show in my history any more. 

Edited by firefly333

56 minutes ago, island lady said:

I love those also.  Always a good time, and usually one of the better meals on the ship!   

Also adored that Captain's dinner we had with you and our favorite HD....JD.  Still love that picture of the event.   I smile and say "hello" to you when I look at it.  😉 

That was special.  I too can still picture it.

You're right about the meal with an officer.  The odds are probably 75% or higher it will be filet mignon as a choice.  In addition, a better quality of wine, but most important spending time with the officer and other fun people (as long as they don't try to monopolize the conversation).

350 is a good step up!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I am sure in the last 15 years as platinum I got free wine in a lounge. Then they added emerald. My cruises are back perhaps and I wasnt cruising as often. I remember it was up in the crows nest area. Diamond on the other side. I had the wine more than once, and skipped dinner and just did snacks with the wine and great ocean view. It happened. It wasnt as crowded as diamond lounge, but I'm sure we got free wine. Choice of red or white or champagne. I didnt imagine it or make this up.

I was lower level and did mostly carnival for a while. Had double the loyalty pts on carnival.

I'm sure it existed. Now you get the 3 free drinks ....it was way before that. I havent been on rcl in over 5 years, things changed, some just dont remember how the lower level perks were. Decided to come back to royal when I noticed I'm diamond. Then covid ... so still havent been on rcl for a long time. My past rcl cruises are so old they all fell off. None show in my history any more. 

OK...as long as you are sure.  😉  

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, yogimax said:

That was special.  I too can still picture it.

You're right about the meal with an officer.  The odds are probably 75% or higher it will be filet mignon as a choice.  In addition, a better quality of wine, but most important spending time with the officer and other fun people (as long as they don't try to monopolize the conversation).

350 is a good step up!

And at 525...another free bottle of wine arrived in our cabin.  😄 Funny how at Pinnie...it's still just 3. 😉 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, island lady said:

OK...as long as you are sure.  😉  

Of course I am. I took a break due to a dishonest ta, we tried unsuccessfully to put in jail, who took our money and ran. I had about 20k tied up, soured me on cruises. Last time I cruises only oasis and allure were out. The ships that were coming I had booked but never got to take those cruises. Some lost more, some less. Some said I was lucky because I got to take more cruises before he took off with out money.

As some might have noticed it's the new stuff I dont know, like I havent cruised yet since they added the 3 drinks to your card a day. So that's why I put that stuff as a question, obviously things have changed.

Since you are pinnacle maybe you werent lower level very long. I did take a break so it's the changes I'm catching up with. I was finally willing to put the past in the past and start back cruising earlier this year. So of course I only remember how it was, havent seen new changes. I like the 3 drinks idea and finding out I can order wine at dinner. Nice change. Just let me get on a ship and check it out.

Lol last rcl cruise I took was even before double loyalty pts for solo, all my pts were 1 at a time except those converted from old system that counted cruises not days. I did ok in the conversion. Looking forward to double solo loyalty pts too. 3 for JS, should be easier to jump up fast

It didn’t exist for any tier lower than Diamond. You remember wrong. I have been cruising RCL since 1996. Almost one every year including January of this year. If you are Diamond that is what you are recalling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It didn’t exist for any tier lower than Diamond. You remember wrong. I have been cruising RCL since 1996. Almost one every year including January of this year. If you are Diamond that is what you are recalling.

I'm sure I went and the diamond lounge with hot snacks was in the other lounge. I was emerald by then, not diamond.

Maybe it wasnt official idk, but I'm sure I went to the lounge and got free wine and it was a rcl ship and held in a lounge up like deck 13 with a great view of the pools and ocean. I didnt imagine going. Lots of people want to say i imagined it and never happened. I am sure it did and that it was rcl and I wasnt quite diamond yet so couldn't go into the diamond lounge where they had hot snacks. I thought ok I'll be there soon ... and now I am. All the people who want to call me a liar can, i know I went to a lounge with free wine and was still emerald. Not diamond. I think was Voyager ots. It happened. Maybe it shouldn't have, idk, but I know I got wine on several nights. 5 to 10 years go. 

I'm sure I went and the diamond lounge with hot snacks was in the other lounge. I was emerald by then, not diamond.

There are two lounges. The Diamond Club and the Suite Lounge. (previously called the Concierge Club) If you were in a suite then you could have used the other lounge no matter what loyalty tier you were in. If you were in a suite that would explain your recollection.

• Like 1

Just now, Charles4515 said:

There are two lounges. The Diamond Club and the Suite Lounge. (previously called the Concierge Club) If you were in a suite then you could have used the other lounge no matter what loyalty tier you were in. If you were in a suite that would explain your recollection.

I'm not talking about now. I'd guess at least 8 years ago I was in a lounge that wasnt either.

Only rcl have I run into people who know more about something I did than I do. Just a few, but there are some who know what I experienced many years ago who werent there on voyager OTS out of Galveston. 

Im emerald , i was thinking of booking junior suites to get to diamond quicker so i could get free expressos in the diamond lounge , but decided to save 1000.00 a head and just pay for them by booking balcony rooms instead . I can wait .

• Like 1

I'm not talking about now. I'd guess at least 8 years ago I was in a lounge that wasnt either.

Only rcl have I run into people who know more about something I did than I do. Just a few, but there are some who know what I experienced many years ago who werent there on voyager OTS out of Galveston. 

There were only two lounges 8 years ago and there are only two lounges now. There was no lounge that was not either. Hey if you want to make up stuff go ahead......we won’t pay any more attention to your reality distortion field.

• Like 2