Cruising on early NOV 2020. Help

kuhne

22 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

That’s unfortunate you had that experience, the test can be done in a MUCH gentler fashion. I understand the Canadian healthcare system; but do you think Medicare will be willing to expend public funds for your Covid test to go on a cruise? That was my point, perhaps not clearly stated, a test for a recreational activity should be the financial responsibility of the traveler. 

I don`t know much about Medicare so I can`t answer but I will say that I`m thankful that Canada has free testing no matter what the reason. 

Sorry you are struggling with all the “stuff”.  Just realizing how fortunate we are in the US.   Not sure about all parts of the US, but in the Midwest, anyone can get tested at any time at no charge.   Just make a reservation at a testing site and drive up for the swab test.  Our son’s college is testing everyone, every two weeks, and it seems pretty common at most colleges in the area. 

5 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I don`t know much about Medicare so I can`t answer but I will say that I`m thankful that Canada has free testing no matter what the reason. 

Free?  Really?  You don't pay for it through taxes?  That's how medicare is paid for.  Most, if not all insurance covers testing and I'm smart enough to know that we're paying for it via our premiums.  I also don't know anyone who has had to pay for their testing here.  But, I agree with the PP, cost of  testing to go on vacation should fall on the person going.  

Edited by BND
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

You don't need symptoms to be tested in Texas.  I have several friends who had to be tested because they may have been exposed.  All were negative.

You don't need symptoms in most places.  Here in VA, you don't need symptoms but you do have to have a reason beyond just wanting it.  My DH was tested two weeks ago because he was exposed at work and he had to fill out paperwork stating why he wanted to be tested-mainly because we visit our parent (his mom is 88 and my parents are 82).   He was negative, as are the vast majority of people who are tested.

Edited by BND

14 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Someone on another social media site was saying that you can't get tested in Texas unless you have sumptoms, is that true?

Also read posts from people that already have pre cruise plans in Europe.  If the 5 day test becomes true I wonder how that will work (so were they)  Hopefully the testing will be done at the pier

In the Dallas:Fort Worth Metroplex testing is open to everyone at a multitude of locations 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Why should the test be free?? I think you are being overly dramatic regarding your 4 and 6 year old brains being poked. I get tested weekly at work, it’s not that bad at all 

Because they are requiring it and not letting us know if we will or will not need it until probably a couple of weeks before sailing. In my country two weeks is not enough to get a result (it’s ridiculous I know) you are either cured or dead by the time you find your result!

it’s also notoriously expensive, having to pay over 1k usd for tests.

cruising is a worldwide industry. People fly from all over the world to Florida to sail, not every country is South Korea, Germany or the US with their advanced drive through testing, accesible prices and quick results. Which is why for someone in the US it may seem like a very simple thing but down here it isn’t.

the idea of quick testing and results at boarding isn’t bad. It’ll be interesting though.

Oh yeah I also got tested when I traveled to Texas. I had to qualify for testing tho, so I lied about my symptoms, lied that people on the plane had COVID and I felt I was infected. Only then was I allowed to purchase the test.

Here in Mexico I think I might need an actual prescription from a doctor though. I just hope Royal let’s me know in advance to see if I’m going to have to cancel 

29 minutes ago, BND said:

Free?  Really?  You don't pay for it through taxes?  That's how medicare is paid for.  Most, if not all insurance covers testing and I'm smart enough to know that we're paying for it via our premiums.  I also don't know anyone who has had to pay for their testing here.  But, I agree with the PP, cost of  testing to go on vacation should fall on the person going.  

All I know is I have never had a bill come to me after any medical appointment or procedure ever in my life. I`m ok with paying taxes to support that and to support others as well. 

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Sorry, I thought Medicare was the term used to refer to the Canadian system 

Ah, I just found out that Medicare is the informal name for our system. It`s administered by the Provinces and here in Ontario it`s called OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan). Have had 2 kids in the past 3 years and not a dime out of my pocket, to say I`m grateful for it would be an understatement. 

Ok, I pay my taxes and that pays for it but that`s ok. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

You don't need symptoms in most places.  Here in VA, you don't need symptoms but you do have to have a reason beyond just wanting it.  My DH was tested two weeks ago because he was exposed at work and he had to fill out paperwork stating why he wanted to be tested-mainly because we visit our parent (his mom is 88 and my parents are 82).   He was negative, as are the vast majority of people who are tested.

My 87 yo Mother has gone and got tested 4 times. No Dr note, no nothing. She also got the antibody test. All negative. She is convinced she had CV in November. She did make an appointment each time. I personally think she does this to get out and socialize. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Ah, I just found out that Medicare is the informal name for our system. It`s administered by the Provinces and here in Ontario it`s called OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan). Have had 2 kids in the past 3 years and not a dime out of my pocket, to say I`m grateful for it would be an understatement. 

Ok, I pay my taxes and that pays for it but that`s ok. 

At one time, the ex wife and myself had two kids. We both worked and each had our own company provided insurance. We didn’t pay a penny. What mine didn’t cover, hers did. That changed by the time the kids were high school age. Only one would pay. With all the recent changes here in US, the company provided healthcare is not what it used to be. ACA just made it much worse for those previously with company provided insurance 

I’m lucky to have both the VA and now Medicare. I pay a supplement to have better coverage using Medicare. 

M8

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kuhne said:

When all this started in may I thought I would be traveling by June, July. I never expected this to last the whole year but we have traveled already, went in a few flights, etc. All with face covers and all sorts of sanitization, keeping distance, etc. Going to a cruise in November didnt seem that big of a deal and it really still doesn’t. I would go if they lifted the no sail order. Knocking on wood but me and the wife are both in good shape and not old, my kids are 6 and 4. The only real problem is when we get back home we stay inside for about 15 days to make sure we dont get it to anyone else in case we got it.

About the deposit, I bought this cruise so long ago I dont even remember how or what I paid but I think I paid everything up front and forgot about it. It was a special rate so they were a bit special with the cancelation if I recall. And I wont be able to cruise next year for sure as we already have our trips more or less planned, so its either cruising in November or using that money for something else.

I really hope things get sorted

Still think we are at least 6 months away from cruising...........it's sad but will be true.

Second wave is beginning to start now.

7 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I’m lucky to have both the VA and now Medicare. I pay a supplement to have better coverage using Medicare. 

The VA was really good to my uncle/dad.  He lived to 100.  I know there are lots of bad reviews of the VA but the practitioners doted on him when we went for his check-ups.  He hated me going on cruises too.

• Like 1

Crystal Cruises has published their new cruising protocols. This will basically be duplicated by every cruiseline.

Here is a direct link to Crystal's website information.

Highlights include:

*Testing prior to boarding AND at the terminal.

*Mandatory Travel Insurance

*Social distancing and Masks

***ONLY SHIP SPONSORED TOURS. No mention of approved independent touring. Self touring in port strictly prohibited.

https://www.crystalcruises.com/crystal-clean

8 hours ago, kuhne said:

Because they are requiring it and not letting us know if we will or will not need it until probably a couple of weeks before sailing. In my country two weeks is not enough to get a result (it’s ridiculous I know) you are either cured or dead by the time you find your result!

it’s also notoriously expensive, having to pay over 1k usd for tests.

cruising is a worldwide industry. People fly from all over the world to Florida to sail, not every country is South Korea, Germany or the US with their advanced drive through testing, accesible prices and quick results. Which is why for someone in the US it may seem like a very simple thing but down here it isn’t.

the idea of quick testing and results at boarding isn’t bad. It’ll be interesting though.

I'm not sure if the US is letting travelers from europe or asia fly into our country for travel.  Last I heard it was essential business travel only.   Has that changed?   Let's say cdc allows cruises out of us in november or december will they allow travelers from other countries?  I dont recall seeing anything in the health plan the other day but I didnt read all 50+/- pages.

43 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

The VA was really good to my uncle/dad.  He lived to 100.  I know there are lots of bad reviews of the VA but the practitioners doted on him when we went for his check-ups.  He hated me going on cruises too.

The VA is getting better. The last administration didn’t know the VA existed and stripped it back. The previous Veterans Choice was a joke. Funding was not very good. We had a new clinic, well staffed. One entire wing in my clinic was closed and then used for administrative work for ACA. That wing has opened and staffed again. Wait times used to be horrible, much less now. I have concern for Veterans that utilize these facilities and possible cutbacks and forgotten that they exist again. Veterans are the backbone of our country. 

M8

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kuhne said:

Thanks for your replies.

I am from Mexico, testing down here is a pain in the butt and extremely expensive and usually need to have symptoms in the first place.

if the cruise line were to give them out for free, sure... but how would they get the result in minutes? I doubt they will use those new quick tests,  not even sure they are reliable!

i get the Importance but asking someone to pay for 4 tests just to get inside the ship is sort of crazy. I really hope they don’t do that or else I’m going to have to cancel

Seriously doubt your cruise will sail.  Also likely you'll have to quaranteen in Florida on arrival.  Cruising rules have not been approved by the CDC and are not likely to be approved for a couple weeks.  Then does your ship have a crew?  Impossible to fly from most places to the USA so the plan is to cruise to India, Indonesia etc.  How long to do that?

Are the ports open?  The first cruises will be to private islands only.

The likelihood of regular Caribbean cruises in November is pretty much ZERO.  

Suggest you read the NCL RCCL suggestions on how to resume sailing.

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I'm not sure if the US is letting travelers from europe or asia fly into our country for travel.  Last I heard it was essential business travel only.   Has that changed?   Let's say cdc allows cruises out of us in november or december will they allow travelers from other countries?  I dont recall seeing anything in the health plan the other day but I didnt read all 50+/- pages.

Land borders have been essential travel only since around April. They say it’ll last a month but then they keep expanding it one more month and it’s been like that until today. They were expecting covid to ease up in Texas I guess but it got bad around June so Mexican gov keeps requesting for essential travel only.

air travel is different. we already flew to Houston in June and while it was weird (empty airports are crazy to see) it was fine. But it got bad in Texas by the time we were getting back so I accidentally timed it right.

this is a copy paste from American Airlines website

Travelers from  Mexico (see 213 additional countries) who do not have a travel history in Austria, Belgium, Brazil, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Eritrea, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holy See, Hungary, Iceland, Iran (Islamic Republic of), Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom during the 14 days prior to their arrival are allowed to enter the United States.”

My cousin flew from Monterrey to Orlando (via Dallas) and went to Disney world last week. She loved it because it was pretty empty.