How early Rome flight?

djh

We are doing a BTB on Infinity next summer and will be disembarking the ship in Civitavecchia . Docking time  is 5:15 am. Most all of the flights from Rome to the states leave by noon. Is that doable or should we just plan on leaving the next day?

Edited by djh

I’m sure you will get conflicting answers here. We have always chosen to stay over a night or two. In saying that we would have been able to make a noon flight. If you are thinking about a 10:00 flight I can’t recommend that. There are several variables in catching an early flight - Delayed docking and debarkation process, Travel time from the port to FCO, Traffic, Long and slow check in process at FCO. I am assuming you are flying to the US. I probably should have posted that earlier in my response. 

It is great having this question and being being able to at least think about cruising again. Enjoy your Trip whenever it comes to be. 

PS - I just reread your post and you did say flying to the states. 

Edited by RICCruisers
Correction

I don't know if you ever been to FCO (Rome Int'n Airport), they have security measures that are a little more involved (you go to one terminal and then transfer to another) then other European Airports that have flights to USA.

Taking that in consideration and the chaos at Civtavecchia I would recommend a overnight. I usually stay at the Tulip Rome Airport. Good shuttle service, clean, nice breakfast, several nearby good Italian restaurants within walking distance and a reasonable price. 

I think you're booking too early without knowing what all the new procedures are. With that said if you're intent on booking now I would make sure the flights you book are 100% cancelable without any kind of penalty and changeable without any penalty. Airline scheduling is all over the place because of the pandemic. 

Having said that in the past it was doable. We done it multiple times but only if you're taking a private or shared car service. One time all the stars aligned and we were so early to getting to the terminal that the check-in window wasn't even open yet 

But I stress again I wouldn't do this if your fares have change penalties. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Thanks 1

I've been on many trips leaving the ship and heading to FCO. Never a problem and booked flights after 1100 AM. But who knows how you'll be during COVID-19 requirement? Have you been to Rome before? If not, enjoy a few days.

Edited by Orator

41 minutes ago, Banjo said:

I don't know if you ever been to FCO (Rome Int'n Airport), they have security measures that are a little more involved (you go to one terminal and then transfer to another) then other European Airports that have flights to USA.

Taking that in consideration and the chaos at Civtavecchia I would recommend a overnight. I usually stay at the Tulip Rome Airport. Good shuttle service, clean, nice breakfast, several nearby good Italian restaurants within walking distance and a reasonable price. 

Thank you! That was going to be my next question if we had to stay overnight!

The Rome airport is very busy and about 45-60 minutes from the port. I’d personally feel better about a 1:00, but if they all leave around noon, find the latest one. We’ve been caught in stopped traffic on that highway, and we had our tour bus broken down on the side of that highway, so those experiences would cause us to be extra careful. If also recommend arranging a private, early transport with a reputable company to hedge your bets.

27 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Let me add that in the past we did self disembarkation and left as early as possible. Without knowing what the new rules will be who knows how early you'll be able to disembark.

This is true, there are just so many unknowns. Right now I’m in the information gathering stage of our trip. I am not planning on booking quite yet, because with all the changes and shuffling around that the cruise lines are doing, I’m not even sure that our cruise will be a go. The no change fees many airlines are offering is helpful, and I have quite a few air credits due to cancelled cruises this year! 

18 minutes ago, Orator said:

I've been on many trips leaving the ship and heading to FCO. Never a problem and booked flights after 1100 AM. But who knows how you'll be during COVID-19 requirement? Have you been to Rome before? If not, enjoy a few days.

We have been to Rome a few times and plan to spend a few days there  before the cruise. It’s funny tho, when I get off the ship I’m done, just ready to get home. 

Edited by djh

49 minutes ago, djh said:

It’s funny tho, when I get off the ship I’m done, just ready to get home

Same here.

But having had the pleasure of flying from FCO several times, I'd chance it only if you'll be able to leave the ship at 7AM, and book a shared/private transfer. 

Italians being Italians, I'd spend another night in Rome (not at the airport), and book a flight back at a reasonable hour for the next morning.

I can highly recommend this company, we've used it several times (family and friends), you can also ask for their advice about booking flights after the cruise --

https://www.civitavecchiacabservice.com/

With a private transport arranged, you will be off the ship before 7am, at the airport by 8am, so think you would be just fine booking a flight from 11am onward.  That's both with carry off and picking up your luggage in the terminal.  Because of security and chances you might be bussed out to the tarmac, I would recommend getting to the airport 3 hours ahead of time.  🍷

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

I can highly recommend this company, we've used it several times (family and friends), you can also ask for their advice about booking flights after the cruise --

https://www.civitavecchiacabservice.com/

Thanks for this information - I had always recommended Rome Cabs to my clients, which is private transfers only.  For those who wish to save some Euro this looks to be a great shared ride alternative!

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Thanks for this information - I had always recommended Rome Cabs to my clients, which is private transfers only.  For those who wish to save some Euro this looks to be a great shared ride alternative!

21 minutes ago, Life Buoy said:

Glad to see a thread where somebody is planning a cruise. I've taken Civitavecchia cab service for a shared ride and they were very reliable. I've also taken Rome Cabs and Roman Cabs and they were also fine.

I was supposed to use them tomorrow: from FCO to Residenza Argentina in Rome, then Sunday to port, and, after the cruise again - to Rome, and the day after - to FCO.... So disappointed, it was an amazing itinerary, which included Malta and Santorini😭

6 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

I was supposed to use them tomorrow: from FCO to Residenza Argentina in Rome, then Sunday to port, and, after the cruise again - to Rome, and the day after - to FCO.... So disappointed, it was an amazing itinerary, which included Malta and Santorini😭

Been to both several times via Crystal and they are both great The sail in to Malta is a great experience. Impossible to take a bad picture! You would be pleased to get a aft cabin. Plan this cruise at a future date.

Edited by Life Buoy

17 minutes ago, Life Buoy said:

The sail in to Malta is a great experience. ....Plan this cruise at a future date.

Done already  😁 -- Apex, 12 nights, September 18th, 2021 -- has both "missed" ports, and then some...

Hopefully, by then we'll be back to "normal", but I'm not making plans and booking anything yet. The deposit is refundable.

6 hours ago, Banjo said:

I second Banjo's recommendation for the Tulip. Rooms are modern, clean and spacious, but  the restaurant is average at best. We've dined twice at La Locanda, about 250 yards north of the hotel. It's typical Roman fare with pasta and seafood. Check ahead because it could well be among the zillions of restaurants shuttered Sundays and Mondays.

• Like 1

Disembarkation from Civitavecchia is generally very quick.   Most cruises do not require customs clearance as you are already cleared into the EEC.  

Recommendation is to arrive at FCO at least 3 hours prior to flight time.   Flights to the U.S. are a bit complicated.  You have to check in at a remote terminal and then take transport to the main terminal.

• Thanks 1

In general we always fly out the day after disembarkation. Its just a lot less stressful. It also gives us a chance to do a final re-pack of our luggage that last night in the hotel. We would stay someplace close to the airport, so its an easy trip for check-in. Hey we are on vacation, its just another day!

• Like 1

Last year we did stay and tour Rome before heading back the the States the next morning.  Agree that it did take a while to get through security at FCO.  We had not been to Rome before, so we felt we wanted to see something...worked for us.  Also enjoy seeing more an more posts like these rather than strictly pandemic-related.

• Like 1