Rapid COVID Test

baldilocks

Tampa says it’s $47 and the other test is over $200.   We will be traveling to Tampa, COVID permitting, the end of the month so we will know more then.    Right now you are allowed to travel between Maryland and Florida without restrictions.   If that changes are trip to visit my husband’s mother who is 98 years old will have to wait.

Testing locations grow in numbers every day.  Easiest way is to do a Google search.  Costs vary from site to site but in the $50+\- area here.

The rapid test is exactly that so you give up accuracy.  Some eployers here are giving rapid tests to all employees. A positive rapid test and a regular test then required to return to work.

I believe that the rapid, 15 min COVID test is the antigen-based BinaxNow test developed by Abbott and given authorization by the FDA.  This test detects the SPIKE protein antigen of the virus so it requires some virus to be replicating and producing the antigen (protein).  It might be negative if you are infected but asymptomatic.  The usual RT-PCR nasal swab test is better for detecting positive exposure overall but it takes longer for results.  So it is more likely that the Abbott rapid test is more suited to people with early symptoms.  It is an initial screen of value for sure but has limitations.  Currently millions of these tests are being sent to states from the federal government in the US.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, baldilocks said:

Has anyone had a rapid (15 minute results) COVID test? How much was it? How do find a test station in Tampa are that does this test?

Since you are from Georgia here is some info on the rapid test from your home state.

https://dph.georgia.gov/press-releases/2020-10-02/207000-abbott-binaxnow-rapid-covid-19-tests-arrive-georgia

Here is info for the rapid test in FL.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-desantis-coronavirus-press-conference-tuesday-20200929-bsufqhrmxjekpc65m3j6tzcldq-story.html

I have had two Rapid COVID tests done, in Burbank, CA ($125) and in Dallas, TX ($189).  Some insurance companies will pay for the testing.  I found places by searching for Sofia antigen tests.  It's a simple nostril swab with results in 15 minutes.  I was told that you should wait at least 3 days after possible exposure but 5-7 days will get a more accurate result.

Frederick

I just had a rapid test (plus a rapid strep test) last night at an AdventHealth Centracare urgent care clinic in Orlando.  I was able to make an appointment for the test yesterday afternoon. All in all, with the waiting room (30 minutes), test administration, PA exam, and PA coming back to exam room to give me the (thankfully negative) results, it took a little less than 2 hours. My insurance covered it (maybe because I had symptoms — sore throat and sniffles).

Pretty sure the news of the last few days has put a big question mark on timing and efficacy of these various tests.  If nothing else, this proves that relying on testing is not the panacea that a lot of people thought; it must still be combined with masking and distancing and other recommended habits to be most effective.

After the 15th of October, a negative COVID test is required for entry into Hawaii within 3 days of traveling.  I wonder if they will accept the results of the Rapid Test?  Other than the Rapid Test, I don't know what test you can take and get results the same or the next day.  I suppose a few phone calls might be in order.  🍷

Abbott, the primary mfr of rapid tests, has sold all 150mm units it will produce this year to US Govt.  They will be distributed to states for use in nursing homes, schools, hospitals, etc.  Do not believe they will be available to general public.  A number of other manufacturers are also developing rapid tests so availability will increase over time.

34 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

After the 15th of October, a negative COVID test is required for entry into Hawaii within 3 days of traveling.  I wonder if they will accept the results of the Rapid Test?  Other than the Rapid Test, I don't know what test you can take and get results the same or the next day.  I suppose a few phone calls might be in order.  🍷

I'm in NYC and got tested Thursday afternoon at a CityMD (I teach and have decided to do one on Thursday or Friday of every remote week - my 5 kiddos are in one week, remote the next...that puts me in the 5-7 day range if any came in positive during the in-person week) and had the email that the results (Negative) were in my portal this morning when I woke up. They say 3-4 business days, but the last 3 I've had done from them were all in this same time frame - about a day and a half.

HAWAII'S PRE-TRAVEL TESTING PROGRAM

What is the pre-travel test program?

Beginning October 15, passengers who successfully complete a pre-travel test will not be subject to the state’s 14-day quarantine program. Currently approved is the processing by laboratories that are licensed or certified by Clinical Laboratories Improvement Amendments (CLIA) of specimens for nucleic acid amplification testing approved or authorized by the United States Food and Drug Administration, pursuant to an Emergency Use Authorization or other authorization for COVID-19 testing.

Will any other tests be accepted, such as an antibody or antigen test? What happens if I take the wrong test?

No, an antibody or antigen test will NOT be accepted. If you take the wrong test, you will be required to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival.

1 hour ago, bEwAbG said:

Pretty sure the news of the last few days has put a big question mark on timing and efficacy of these various tests.  If nothing else, this proves that relying on testing is not the panacea that a lot of people thought; it must still be combined with masking and distancing and other recommended habits to be most effective.

I'm not sure I agree that this changes the thinking, at least of those who have been keeping themselves informed (ok, I know that leaves out a lot of people🙂).  Testing was never expected to be a panacea.  It is, however, a crucial part of the process to contain the virus.  It is not 100% accurate, and it sometimes takes a few days of infection before positive results show up, depending on the test (there are several experts on these boards who can explain that way better than me, but that's the gist of it in layman's terms).  I absolutely agree with you that it is just one part of the process - masking and social distancing and hand washing are still critical components and need to be continued until the virus is completely under control.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fouremco said:

HAWAII'S PRE-TRAVEL TESTING PROGRAM

What is the pre-travel test program?

Beginning October 15, passengers who successfully complete a pre-travel test will not be subject to the state’s 14-day quarantine program. Currently approved is the processing by laboratories that are licensed or certified by Clinical Laboratories Improvement Amendments (CLIA) of specimens for nucleic acid amplification testing approved or authorized by the United States Food and Drug Administration, pursuant to an Emergency Use Authorization or other authorization for COVID-19 testing.

Will any other tests be accepted, such as an antibody or antigen test? What happens if I take the wrong test?

No, an antibody or antigen test will NOT be accepted. If you take the wrong test, you will be required to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival.

I believe this situation is evolving almost daily.  The initial guidelines call for the PCR test.  But most airlines with flights to Hawaii are offering the rapid virus test which is an antigen test (and is positive for active infections only).  Something will have to change or some further agreement will need to be made.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/10/01/list-these-airlines-airport-will-offer-covid-tests-travelers-hawaii/