Pack our Bags- VP Pence overrules CDC Guidelines

5 hours ago, bafinegan said:

I wonder what that means for those ports where there is a "fenced in" area right off the dock. like Costa Maya?

baf

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Good question

My next cruise is just a 4 night sailing to Princess Cays. I can expect they won’t allow us beyond the gate to leave the homeowner’s backyard transformed into a resort area this time and head into Eleuthera but surely, there shouldn’t be any shore excursion needed to get off the ship that day.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nofocruiser said:

I understand everyones eagerness to start cruising again, but have you thought of the logistics of getting staff and crew back on board?  The individuals that are from the U.S. and Canada may be able to get to the ships, but what about the ones from the Philippines, Eastern Europe, United Kingdom?  How easy will it be to transport them to the ships, (it took months to repatriate some of the crew to begin with)?  How many of them have found other work in the interim?   

I don't want to be the Debbie Downer here, and I know there are people that are excited with the prospect of cruising again, but it's not as if they can wave a magic wand and get things up and running by November.  

3 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

It is amazing what a free market economy can do and how quickly it can do it.

Again- how do you know the cruise operator hasn’t already started this process quietly without a public announcement? We have seen leaked employment letters from oncoming crew with the Navigator of the Seas due to board the ship on Oct 24 in Miami and those from Quantum due to board on Nov 7 in Singapore.

Just because they didn’t publicize their logistical operations for their consumers doesn’t mean they didn’t start the process. It’s a limited number of ships with a very limited number of crew. It isn’t that hard to staff them, transport them, quarantine them, training refreshments, trial runs and loading up provisions. They can do all of these items right now under the No Sail Order but prefer not to burn unnecessary funds on labor and perishable goods.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 2

From the Miami Herald: 

Friday’s meeting happened almost exactly seven months after Pence joined cruise CEOs, Florida senators, Gov. Ron DeSantis, Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez and PortMiami Director Juan Kuryla at Port Everglades to bolster the companies’ decisions to keep cruising despite COVID-19 outbreaks on several ships. The industry shut down several days later on March 14.

At least 111 cruise passengers and crew have died from COVID-19, and at least 87 ships — 34% of the global cruise fleet — have been affected by the virus, according to a Miami Herald investigation. Crew members continue to contract COVID-19 on laid-up cruise ships.

{underlining emphasis in original copy}

My comment:  Guess they wrong before, eh?  My luggage will remain in my garage for a while longer.

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Again- how do you know the cruise operator hasn’t already started this process quietly without a public announcement? We have seen leaked employment letters from oncoming crew with the Navigator of the Seas due to board the ship on Oct 24 in Miami and those from Quantum due to board on Nov 7.

Just because they didn’t publicize their logistical operations for their consumers doesn’t mean they didn’t start the process. It’s a limited number of ships with a very limited number of crew. It isn’t that hard to staff them, transport them, quarantine them, training refreshments, trial runs and loading up provisions. They can do all of these items right now under the No Sail Order but prefer not to burn unnecessary funds on labor and perishable goods.

I didn't say they weren't doing so, I said that we can't expect them to be up and ready in a short amount of time.  There are people that seem to think that because cruising will be allowed on November 1 that the cruise companies will be able to set sail with no issues.  

The crew may have letters of employment, but until they are on the ship ready to work, it is only a letter.  There are other things at work here.  The letter is a stepping stone, not the entire path.

5 minutes ago, nofocruiser said:

I didn't say they weren't doing so, I said that we can't expect them to be up and ready in a short amount of time.  There are people that seem to think that because cruising will be allowed on November 1 that the cruise companies will be able to set sail with no issues.  

The crew may have letters of employment, but until they are on the ship ready to work, it is only a letter.  There are other things at work here.  The letter is a stepping stone, not the entire path.

They seem to think that because Carnival says that. Why should we have any reason to doubt Carnival? Have they been known to be deceitful and act in poor faith all in an effort to secure deposits, final payments and hold onto them a bit longer to process refunds to others?

The letters of employment from Royal were dated 10/4 and 10/7. I think Royal is getting ready to get their team back together for the crew only trial runs they plan on doing and have already secured dockage in the cruise terminals. In addition, they also were granted approval from the Port of Singapore to resume on December 1 for short 3/4 night cruises.

What other things do you believe are in the way that we have yet to discuss? We can review them on a point by point basis to find a reasonable way to accommodate the need as quickly as possible. When you have an entire team dedicated to logistics, it isn’t so difficult for career minded professionals to figure them out.

FWIW, my opinion on a return to cruising is different than the cruise line’s.

I feel there will be no cruising from the United States till there is a vaccine & medication  for covid.   We here in NYS can't even go to a restaurant to eat and drink inside without a mask and when we do - they are only limited to how many people can go in and no bars open like before covid - all monitored to where you can sit etc......and if you travel outside of NY and you work you must quarantine for 14 days when you get back from another state.     How can a cruise line open up and be like it used to be with quest walking freely around and eating and drinking, music and shows?   I hope they figure it out, as I have a big credit for Carnival to use by 2022.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

The letters of employment from Royal were dated 10/4 and 10/7.

And the reporting dates were around 10/25.  Don't think any cruises will be going anywhere 11/1.  And, getting permission to bring crew to a ship, and even sailing that ship without passengers on "trial runs" is a far step from being cleared to embark passengers.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, boatclub1 said:

I feel there will be no cruising from the United States till there is a vaccine & medication  for covid.   We here in NYS can't even go to a restaurant to eat and drink inside without a mask and when we do - they are only limited to how many people can go in and no bars open like before covid - all monitored to where you can sit etc......and if you travel outside of NY and you work you must quarantine for 14 days when you get back from another state.     How can a cruise line open up and be like it used to be with quest walking freely around and eating and drinking, music and shows?   I hope they figure it out, as I have a big credit for Carnival to use by 2022.  

And in Florida, you can go to a restaurant, operating at max capacity, and only need a mask during the walk from the hostess stand to your table. Yesterday when I went for lunch on the beach, I didn’t even need a mask for that part... I was told it wasn’t needed while putting it on.

Just because that’s how things are in your state does not mean that’s how they are in others. Like I said many times, everything is pretty much back to normal here and many are ignoring the fact there’s a pandemic.

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

And the reporting dates were around 10/25.  Don't think any cruises will be going anywhere 11/1.  And, getting permission to bring crew to a ship, and even sailing that ship without passengers on "trial runs" is a far step from being cleared to embark passengers.

Luckily the cruise line in question isn’t selling any cruises for November and already had them canceled 😉 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, xDisconnections said:

They seem to think that because Carnival says that. Why should we have any reason to doubt Carnival? Have they been known to be deceitful and act in poor faith all in an effort to secure deposits, final payments and hold onto them a bit longer to process refunds to others?

The letters of employment from Royal were dated 10/4 and 10/7. I think Royal is getting ready to get their team back together for the crew only trial runs they plan on doing and have already secured dockage in the cruise terminals. In addition, they also were granted approval from the Port of Singapore to resume on December 1 for short 3/4 night cruises.

What other things do you believe are in the way? We can review them on a point by point basis to find a reasonable way to accommodate the need as quickly as possible. When you have an entire team dedicated to logistics, it isn’t so difficult for career minded professionals to figure them out.

Well, since we are on the Carnival board and the letters are from Royal, let's start there.  Just because Royal is doing this, doesn't mean that Carnival is also.  The cruises you are speaking of are leaving from Singapore, did they mention any U.S. home ports?  Carnival doesn't sail from Singapore on a regular basis.  

They need to get food on board, any perishables will have to be ordered and stocked.  This would be like getting ready for an inaugural.  They aren't replenishing, they are stocking.  I'm sure they have liquor in a secure warehouse somewhere ready to go, but what about bread, dairy, fruit, vegetable and meats?  It's not like they can order those things and have them sitting around for an unspecified time waiting to be loaded. They would have to be in a refrigerated warehouse do we know of the availability of these warehouses?

But they really need the people, if the staff and crew have problems getting into the U.S. then what?

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

So I will ask again,  when is the right time?  They forecast lots of things, the majority of which never come true.  

October 1, 2020.

The date per John Heald when Covid was supposed to be gone and the date when Carnival should have been able to bring the fun back to you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

And sadly, most people only read headlines these days. It’s crazy how many people retweet or share something without even reading the article based only on the headline.

Ain’t that a fact

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nofocruiser said:

Well, since we are on the Carnival board and the letters are from Royal, let's start there.  Just because Royal is doing this, doesn't mean that Carnival is also.  The cruises you are speaking of are leaving from Singapore, did they mention any U.S. home ports?  Carnival doesn't sail from Singapore on a regular basis.  

They need to get food on board, any perishables will have to be ordered and stocked.  This would be like getting ready for an inaugural.  They aren't replenishing, they are stocking.  I'm sure they have liquor in a secure warehouse somewhere ready to go, but what about bread, dairy, fruit, vegetable and meats?  It's not like they can order those things and have them sitting around for an unspecified time waiting to be loaded. They would have to be in a refrigerated warehouse do we know of the availability of these warehouses?

But they really need the people, if the staff and crew have problems getting into the U.S. then what?

Yes- the previous post outlining the details of the Oct 24 date are referencing the Navigator of the Seas in PortMiami. Both cruise lines are direct competitors... if they both weren’t planning on launching around the same time, they could lose valuable market share and potentially risk an entire audience.

Food and perishables are easy. Have you ever worked with the provider Carnival uses: Sysco. Although usually it’s next day, I’ll suggest two days just in case they need to cover more distance from multiple locations. Have you ever been to Restaurant Depot?

How were the staff and crew onboard these ships getting into the country for service calls done in the US in the beginning with the border closed? They’ll be fine — just charter flights to Barbados or Curacao and no longer provide shore leave on turnaround day.

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I spent over 20 years in the military so this country and its citizens could be free. I still feel strongly about the concept of freedom. All the restrictions government has implemented is taking away our freedom. I am not naive enough to say we should ignore this virus, but at some point you have to go on living, which fortunately the state of Florida is allowing.

If my wife, my family and my friends want to go on a cruise tomorrow, we should have that choice. If you don’t think it is safe to cruise right now, you can make the choice not to cruise. But right now that choice has been taken away from us, which I don’t agree with at this point. Earlier in the year I was in favor of the no sail orders, but like I said, at some point you have to go on living. This virus is going to be around for a long time so people better learn to live with it. If people want to stay at home 24/7 that is their right. But everyone shouldn’t be forced to do that. 

Well said and I agree. Thanks for your service!

Too bad we never got to meet on that Cuba cruise 😞 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Yes- the previous post outlining the details of the Oct 24 date are referencing the Navigator of the Seas in PortMiami. Both cruise lines are direct competitors... if they both weren’t planning on launching around the same time, they could lose valuable market share and potentially risk an entire audience.

Food and perishables are easy. Have you ever worked with the provider Carnival uses: Sysco. Although usually it’s next day, I’ll suggest two days just in case they need to cover more distance from multiple locations. Have you ever been to Restaurant Depot?

How were the staff and crew onboard these ships getting into the country for service calls done in the US in the beginning with the border closed? They’ll be fine — just charter flights to Barbados or Curacao and no longer provide shore leave on turnaround day.

I've been to Restaurant Depot and I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that they will need more than what Restaurant Depot can supply.  

So, what you are saying is fly the crew to Barbados or Curacao and have them meet the ship there?  Do you think that the CDC might meet the ship when it arrives in Miami any other Florida port and test them?

I was on the Nieuw Staatendam in March 2020(the last sailing before they all shut down), 2/3 of the ship had disembarked when they halted the process because someone had passed away on the ship.  We were not allowed off until it was determined that the person did not die of Covid-19, we had to wait an extra  8 hours to disembark.  Then we drove home and quarantined for 2 weeks, just in case.  About 10 days into our 14 day quarantine we received an email from HAL that a passenger from our sailing had contracted the virus.  We were fine, but imagine if the virus spread?   A friend of ours was on the  Coral Princess that was stuck at sea for awhile.  She doesn't speak highly of the experience.  

• Like 1