Pack our Bags- VP Pence overrules CDC Guidelines

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Very funny that Pence mentioned the goal of "reopening the maritime economy", when it has never been shut down, only the 5% of the industry represented by the cruise industry.  Goes to show how aware he is of maritime issues.

VP Pence has two main items on his agenda, Covid-19 task force and the Space Commission. He was handed the cruise industry sort of like if the UCLA football coach is on leave, they get a math teacher to fill in. 

I think your assessment of what to do with unfortunate folks that fall ill during the cruise is correct. 

4 hours ago, kona_wahine said:

Until you can go into the ports unaccompanied I have no desire to cruise.

Though I know that has been the case in Europe, has anything been said one way or the other about whether you will need to be on ship excursion to get off at Caribbean ports? I haven't heard anything yet.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if that ends up being the rule initially, at least in some ports. But has anything been determined yet?

48 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Though I know that has been the case in Europe, has anything been said one way or the other about whether you will need to be on ship excursion to get off at Caribbean ports? I haven't heard anything yet.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if that ends up being the rule initially, at least in some ports. But has anything been determined yet?

There is a video of Carnival's I think it was Chief Operations Officer telling that when cruising starts again, the only way you'll be able to get off the ship in ports is through a Carnival excursion.  

Go to this post and look for post #38.

Edited by RWolver672
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Sounds like a lot of nothing being said.  Noticed that HHS and CDC mentioned that the cruise lines would have to "backstop" their operations, which I take to mean still requiring private health care, transportation services, and quarantine facilities on shore, which has been the major sticking point all along.

Very funny that Pence mentioned the goal of "reopening the maritime economy", when it has never been shut down, only the 5% of the industry represented by the cruise industry.  Goes to show how aware he is of maritime issues.

And, the cruise line executives stressed that their initiatives will keep cruise ship passengers in a "safe and healthy environment", but don't mention anything about dealing with further spread to the general population from a ship.

I also don't see anywhere where Pence overruled the CDC guidelines, he merely thanked the cruise lines for submitting their advisory board's report.

I do not think anyone said they did, but could be over ruled.  I doubt Pence can or wants to get into details.  If holes come up, they will mitigate.  I have not seen a response from the cdc on the submitted plan on it meeting or not meeting anything.  Have I missed something?

54 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Only ship excursions and must stay with group.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I do not think anyone said they did, but could be over ruled.  I doubt Pence can or wants to get into details.  If holes come up, they will mitigate.  I have not seen a response from the cdc on the submitted plan on it meeting or not meeting anything.  Have I missed something?

Title of the thread.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I understand everyones eagerness to start cruising again, but have you thought of the logistics of getting staff and crew back on board?  The individuals that are from the U.S. and Canada may be able to get to the ships, but what about the ones from the Philippines, Eastern Europe, United Kingdom?  How easy will it be to transport them to the ships, (it took months to repatriate some of the crew to begin with)?  How many of them have found other work in the interim?   

I don't want to be the Debbie Downer here, and I know there are people that are excited with the prospect of cruising again, but it's not as if they can wave a magic wand and get things up and running by November.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nofocruiser said:

I understand everyones eagerness to start cruising again, but have you thought of the logistics of getting staff and crew back on board?  The individuals that are from the U.S. and Canada may be able to get to the ships, but what about the ones from the Philippines, Eastern Europe, United Kingdom?  How easy will it be to transport them to the ships, (it took months to repatriate some of the crew to begin with)?  How many of them have found other work in the interim?   

I don't want to be the Debbie Downer here, and I know there are people that are excited with the prospect of cruising again, but it's not as if they can wave a magic wand and get things up and running by November.  

It is amazing what a free market economy can do and how quickly it can do it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Sounds like a lot of nothing being said.  Noticed that HHS and CDC mentioned that the cruise lines would have to "backstop" their operations, which I take to mean still requiring private health care, transportation services, and quarantine facilities on shore, which has been the major sticking point all along.

And, the cruise line executives stressed that their initiatives will keep cruise ship passengers in a "safe and healthy environment", but don't mention anything about dealing with further spread to the general population from a ship.

I also don't see anywhere where Pence overruled the CDC guidelines, he merely thanked the cruise lines for submitting their advisory board's report.

I hope they also intend to keep the crew in a "safe and healthy environment".

• Like 2

Call me an optimist but I have my bags and I am still ready to go. I enjoyed reading everyone's take on the upcoming decisions that will be a final decision hopefully some time in the near future. Myself - I have until March for my first booked cruise of 2021 and I am not concerned. True, just like on land there will be those who will not follow the rules. Boring but I am a rule follower and will be obey those put in place on the cruise ship. Cruise or no cruise this year and many in the future I wish everyone good health and happy cruising.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cafedumonde said:

Glad to hear science is winning out in the discussion and cruising will begin.

Gee, from reading the press release about the call, it appears that economics is winning, there wasn't much mention of science.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Gee, from reading the press release about the call, it appears that economics is winning, there wasn't much mention of science.

Of course economics is part of it.  The press is really good at cooking the facts to portray negativity.  Economics is part of what makes this country the best in the world.  To think it would not be part would be foolish.  It SHOULD be a balance, an industry under the thumb meeting requirements set forth, that is the science part.  You told us that.  If they do what they said they would do, there is high probability to success.  

10 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Care to explain why this technicality is that significant? Have we compared percentages of previous economies claiming to be reopened? Is this not "reopening the maritime economy?" There are plenty of other economies that tie in together with this one, and aren't necessarily in the maritime bucket. However, this appears to be a statement that helps the public understand what they are trying to do.

5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

If they do what they said they would do, there is high probability to success.  

What exactly is it the cruise lines said they would do (committed to doing?).  I saw a document with a host of recommendations from a healthy cruise panel but haven’t seem a hard plan, especially that very difficult backstop business that I don’t think they’ll be able to resolve as long as a public health emergency exists in the United States.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Of course economics is part of it.  The press is really good at cooking the facts to portray negativity.  Economics is part of what makes this country the best in the world.  To think it would not be part would be foolish.  It SHOULD be a balance, an industry under the thumb meeting requirements set forth, that is the science part.  You told us that.  If they do what they said they would do, there is high probability to success.  

I agree, but from what was said on the call, I can't say that "science is winning" to allow cruising to restart.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

What exactly is it the cruise lines said they would do (committed to doing?).  I saw a document with a host of recommendations fro a healthy cruise panel but haven’t seem a hard plan, especially that very difficult backstop business that I don’t think they’ll be able to resolve as long as a public health emergency exists in the United States.

Well then you will not cruise for a couple of years.  Read the plan, 74 steps...google is your friend.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nofocruiser said:

Carnival stated it would take 30 days to have a ship ready to sail.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Well then you will not cruise for a couple of years.  Read the plan, 74 steps...google is your friend.

Hmmm ... let me think on it a bit. Not cruising for a few years vs the likelihood of killing my aging mother and possibly many others ... Nope, I can live without cruising for a long while.

• Like 5