And there goes November-- Cruises Cancelled!!

Sugar67

8 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Technically, not necessary. Sail roundtrip from Seattle and forego the visit in Victoria or Vancouver. Sure, it’ll violate the PVSA but as long as the $300 per person (passenger) fine gets paid, what’s the big deal?

I do not think they can get away with that. I'm guessing that a larger fine would be on the way for an intentional illegal act like that.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sanger727 said:

we are the opposite. Our first cruises were all inside rooms, 7 days, and barely any on board spend. As life as moved on in our careers our  purchasing power has increased. Now we will splurge for a balcony, choose longer cruises, and are more willing to spend on drink packages, specialty restaurants, and in the spa.

Same

18 hours ago, chipmaster said:

Just like the airplanes selling round trips to no-where, they all sold out.

The cruise fanatical bases is large, they love the time on the ship.  I can see a 50% capacity round trip to nowhere in the warm weather ports to be sold out before they even go online.     1/2 capacity means more deck space, more dining space, dang everything better for on ship experience except for the high risk of coming down with COVID from some person that squeezes thru testing and is wearing a chin strap, LOL.

In theory, I agree with you that cruises to nowhere would have at least some appeal. But the cruise lines can't do cruises to nowhere from the US under the Passenger Vessel Services Act.

4 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

That might change, @xDisconnectionsChances are, cruising will once again be an exclusive activity vs. inclusive of most. In time, prices will drop to affordable levels, but that might take a while. That's my guess, anyway. Carnival may have to completely change their marketing strategy and focus on a different passenger set as they change the way they do business.

Let’s revisit this topic in six months to a year, @fyree39. In the meantime, cruise prices for 2021 still look dirt cheap on Carnival and they even offer financing options if someone who can’t afford it wants to go.

Oh, btw... 

BB5B6380-06B1-4F33-A1DF-FEA125427021.jpeg

Edited by xDisconnections

5 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

They do look cheap, but I really don't think those prices can remain sustainable once cruising begins, particularly if the reduced-capacity rules stay in effect for any length of time.

Pricing will stay at the level the market will accept. That’s why many high end hotels chose not to follow the heads in beds method and offer lower pricing. It creates a downward spiral and is much harder to get out of and attracts a clientele they do not want. If Carnival bookings increase, pricing will go up. If bookings slow down, the price will drop. The market sets the price of perishable rooms using yield management.

I posted earlier that it isn’t important to be profitable once cruising returns. It’s important to lessen the losses to gain comfort, promote goodwill, capture engagement and have your market witness a safe return of operations.

Since you missed my screenshot in the quoted post,

F5349A70-A75D-4637-8046-864FC3CA9110.jpeg

Edited by xDisconnections

14 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Technically, not necessary. Sail roundtrip from Seattle and forego the visit in Victoria or Vancouver. Sure, it’ll violate the PVSA but as long as the $300 per person (passenger) fine gets paid, what’s the big deal?

I don't believe cruises to nowhere violate the PVSA. I believe chengpk stated that in order to do cruises to nowhere the crew has to have different kinds of work visas which are harder to get and expensive.

1 minute ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I don't believe cruises to nowhere violate the PVSA. I believe chengpk stated that in order to do cruises to nowhere the crew has to have different kinds of work visas which are harder to get and expensive.

Yes, that's correct. My post was referencing Alaska sailings without a near foreign port. A cruise to nowhere on a foreign flagged vessel is perfectly legal assuming the crew is comprised of US Citizens or those authorized to work in the United States. Regrettably, the D-1 work visa used by many of the cruise lines to save on labor no longer is acceptable. There was an incident years ago where the cruise lines were investigated for improper use of this work visa when they operated cruises to nowhere.

Just now, Illbcruzn4life said:

Cruises to nowhere by Foreign-flagged vessels violate the PVSA.

To comply, the ship has to be US flagged - that is not a small cost to incur.

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Cruises to nowhere by Foreign-flagged vessels violate the PVSA.

To comply, the ship has to be US flagged - that is not a small cost to incur.

No, read the post above. It could be done with a different, more expensive visa for all the crew. No cruise line is willing to take on that expense.

4 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Well in checking, literally EVERY cruise line from Carnival up to Regent show bookings for December. If December gets dumped. I am sure there will be a big uproar.

Pretty much what has happened since May at least. Every month had bookings available. So now that November is cancelled , they have to hope pax keep booking December to keep the cash coming in.

Nothing new or different, the pattern just continues.

• LauraS locked this topic