Hopefully just a blip for MSC trial cruises

8 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

So you think a vaccine is going to be 100% effective. The virus will get on the ships, vaccine or not.

But I'm reading that the RNA vaccines are believed to have a very high efficacy and frankly in this particular case, as long as I'm protected, I don't care if someone else who has decided to not get the vaccine isn't protected.

Does that mean that I want to be quarantined if there is an outbreak?  Nope - which is why I won't be cruising for a while.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

So you think a vaccine is going to be 100% effective. The virus will get on the ships, vaccine or not.

But with the vaccine the effect will be greatly reduced. It is not the fact they get an outbreak onboard it is that people currently get really ill and need serious medical treatment. They could only treat 5 seriously ill people at most on a ship before they run into really serious problems. They only have maybe 4 or 5 beds in the sickbay you know. They would have a major crisis if they had to provide ICU or Oxygen for even more than 5 people perhaps.

11 hours ago, mek said:

But I'm reading that the RNA vaccines are believed to have a very high efficacy and frankly in this particular case, as long as I'm protected, I don't care if someone else who has decided to not get the vaccine isn't protected.

Does that mean that I want to be quarantined if there is an outbreak?  Nope - which is why I won't be cruising for a while.

They are unlikely to allow any unvaccinated person onboard. So I doubt they will get a major outbreak.

Edited by ace2542
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

They are unlikely to allow any unvaccinated person onboard. So I doubt they will get a major outbreak.

I understand and agree that they will have that requirement once the vaccine is available, but that is assuming there won't be any cruises leaving North America until there is a vaccine and I think they might get some started, like Europe, before then.  I'm just not interested in going on one of those.

Edited by mek

On 10/17/2020 at 11:05 PM, Iamcruzin said:

The physician that my wife works for is in a high risk group, age, weight pre diabetic. He is overkill with the protective gear as he performs colonoscopies, endoscopies and other surgical procedures. He has been deathly afraid of becoming ill with covid. Would you believe this man wanted to volunteer for the trials. My wife talked him out of it. She said you are a brilliant doctor but you lack common sense. Look in the mirror you are practically wrapped in cellophane because you are so paranoid. Why on earth would you volunteer for a vaccine trial? 

Any by loosing weight he would be out of the high risk category.  Pretty simple.

4 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

Any by loosing weight he would be out of the high risk category.  Pretty simple.

Not that straightforward to be honest. The side effect of some of these diabetic medications make you gain weight. So trying to keep it off might be hard.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Not that straightforward to be honest. The side effect of some of these diabetic medications make you gain weight. So trying to keep it off might be hard.

Actually most of them make you lose weight.   My DH is type II diabetic.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

Not necessarily, he could have other medical issues that aren't weight related. Not everything is about weight as you seem to think it is.

Got an email from MSC this morning.  Anyone coming from Germany is now required to have a negative PCR test not more than 72 hours old in order to be allowed to board.  Add this to the massive surge in infections in Italy,  more and more curfews, rioting in Naples and Rome and now the German health authority has declared almost all of Italy to be a high risk area. We've asked our TA to change our booking to next May.  As much as we want to cruise, at the moment it's just not worth the risk.

1 hour ago, crazyank said:

Got an email from MSC this morning.  Anyone coming from Germany is now required to have a negative PCR test not more than 72 hours old in order to be allowed to board.  Add this to the massive surge in infections in Italy,  more and more curfews, rioting in Naples and Rome and now the German health authority has declared almost all of Italy to be a high risk area. We've asked our TA to change our booking to next May.  As much as we want to cruise, at the moment it's just not worth the risk.

You should go - it is wonderful!

Of you just go straight to the ship and back you are at no real risk - and not spending more than 48 hours in Italy - which is important for the regulations!

You are not spending nights in the streets of Naples or Rome anyway! So the curfews will have no effect on your trip.

MSC os doing a great job on the ship - it is great to get away from it all!

Edited by cruiseboy89130

1 hour ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

and not spending more than 48 hours in Italy - which is important for the regulations!

This is simply not true.  Anyone returning to Germany from any of the so called high-risk areas (including Genoa) will be required to quarantine for 14 days. The restriction includes transiting thru Italy in any way.  We spoke to the local border control office this morning about going directly to the ship and returning to Germany with no other stops. Their answer?  14 day quarantine, period.

Edited by crazyank

27 minutes ago, crazyank said:

This is simply not true.  Anyone returning to Germany from any of the so called high-risk areas (including Genoa) will be required to quarantine for 14 days. The restriction includes transiting thru Italy in any way.  We spoke to the local border control office this morning about going directly to the ship and returning to Germany with no other stops. Their answer?  14 day quarantine, period.

Well it depends where you live - my state makes an exception of you spend less than 48 hours in the risk area - I only spend about 6 hours each way...

Read your local rules - officers have no clue and do not keep up with the fine print 🙄

Edited by cruiseboy89130

4 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Well it depends where you live - my state makes an exception of you spend less than 48 hours in the risk area - I only spend about 6 hours each way...

Read your local rules - officers have no clue and do not keep up with the fine print 🙄

Ok,  be sure to post how much you enjoy being in quarantine