Final Payment Extentions...

Nashna

51 minutes ago, Nashna said:

Has anyone had their final payment extended for 2021 cruises?  

We had a Regatta cruise booked for January 2021 and the final pay deadline was extended from October to November in line with O's recently published intention to extend final pays (can't remember when exactly that happened).

Earlier this year, we asked for/received a similar extension for an upcoming November cruise O cancelled a couple of weeks ago.

If you want to extend your FP, call your TA or, if you're DIY, call O.

But, if you intend to move a cancelled cruise tona replacement in 2021-22, I suggest you carefully consider the comparison of waiting for an O cancellation FCC OF 100+% vs. cash refund if it meets the "no penalty" provisions in the current version of the O Travelers Assurance Program.

Why???

All the most desirable (IMO) itineraries currently showing are either totally waitlisted or having only ill-located cabins.

When we saw Regatta headed to Astoria through April, we knew (even w/o official O cancellation) that our cruise would be eliminated. Being that it was a "book onboard," I just called and transferred it to the same NZ-OZ cruise for the same dates in January 2022. As is a standard O book-onboard allowance, we were able to still apply the reduced deposit and keep all associated discounts. But, we also did the math and it turned out that the current "ultimate sale" had a better discount. The bottom line of the transfer was a hybrid deal that got one of the few desirable cabins left for the 2022 cruise. And, yes, it was actually more efficacious than paying the FP in November, waiting for the O cancellation and getting an FCC that realistically  won't be used until 2022 (in part because of the lack of late 2021 availability).

Soooo, STAY UP WITH THE O WEBSITE AND EMAIL TRAVEL ADVISORIES; DO THE MATH; DON'T TRY TO SAVE A FEW $$$ (WITH YET ANOTHER FCC) ONLY TO FIND THERE ARE NO CRUISES TO SPEND IT ON.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nashna said:

Has anyone had their final payment extended for 2021 cruises?  

We rec'd a notice ages ago stating that our final payment date had been changed from 90 or 150 days to 60 days.......does this count?  This is for a February 2021 cruise...which of course probably won't happen...

2 minutes ago, chloemonkey said:

We rec'd a notice ages ago stating that our final payment date had been changed from 90 or 150 days to 60 days.......does this count?  This is for a February 2021 cruise...which of course probably won't happen...

Ask your TA (or O if DIY) for an updated invoice showing the new FP date. And while you're st it ask for current price of the cruise (e.g., "ultimate sale" of O Club 10% discount on select cruises). Compare to your current price, discounts (e.g., book onboard) and O Life perks since it should be possible to get anprice adjustment. BUT, do the bottom line math before making any changes.

• Like 1

I asked for a final payment delay on an April 2021 cruise earlier this week.  I was pretty sure the cruise would not go but I was willing to hold the reservation if I didn't have to pay the large final.  I contacted my TA who called Oceania.  They said no so we cancelled.  

55 minutes ago, thunderbird56 said:

I asked for a final payment delay on an April 2021 cruise earlier this week.  I was pretty sure the cruise would not go but I was willing to hold the reservation if I didn't have to pay the large final.  I contacted my TA who called Oceania.  They said no so we cancelled.  

When was your final payment due for your April 2021 cruise?  

12 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

When was your final payment due for your April 2021 cruise?  

It was due on October 29th. Actually that's my TA due date.  They usually want credit card info a week before its due to the cruise line, so probably around Nov. 5th.  

Edited by thunderbird56
More info

17 minutes ago, thunderbird56 said:

It was due on October 29th.

Thanks.  Ouch.  Are due dates normally different for FP cruises?

I have a January 14, 2022 Caribbean cruise booked on the Riviera with a final payment due date of 10/16/2021.  There is a note about penalties starting  9/16/2021.  It is a hefty deposit.

As you said, there is a very high probability that your cruise will be cancelled anyway.  I was just curious about the Final Payment date for an April cruise.  

Good luck on a different cruise.  I am holding on to a very slim hope that my Princess Panama schedule for the end of January will go.

12 hours ago, chloemonkey said:

Yes   I have a 2021 September  cruise with an April final payment !     On the 18 cabin classes, on that cruise, 11 are already sold out and wait listed......almost a year out and 60% sold !!!     Cant re-book for the 10% because there are a lot of people standing in line for my cabin type... and both above and below too.......  

21 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

We had a Regatta cruise booked for January 2021 and the final pay deadline was extended from October to November in line with O's recently published intention to extend final pays (can't remember when exactly that happened).

Earlier this year, we asked for/received a similar extension for an upcoming November cruise O cancelled a couple of weeks ago.

If you want to extend your FP, call your TA or, if you're DIY, call O.

But, if you intend to move a cancelled cruise tona replacement in 2021-22, I suggest you carefully consider the comparison of waiting for an O cancellation FCC OF 100+% vs. cash refund if it meets the "no penalty" provisions in the current version of the O Travelers Assurance Program.

Why???

All the most desirable (IMO) itineraries currently showing are either totally waitlisted or having only ill-located cabins.

When we saw Regatta headed to Astoria through April, we knew (even w/o official O cancellation) that our cruise would be eliminated. Being that it was a "book onboard," I just called and transferred it to the same NZ-OZ cruise for the same dates in January 2022. As is a standard O book-onboard allowance, we were able to still apply the reduced deposit and keep all associated discounts. But, we also did the math and it turned out that the current "ultimate sale" had a better discount. The bottom line of the transfer was a hybrid deal that got one of the few desirable cabins left for the 2022 cruise. And, yes, it was actually more efficacious than paying the FP in November, waiting for the O cancellation and getting an FCC that realistically  won't be used until 2022 (in part because of the lack of late 2021 availability).

Soooo, STAY UP WITH THE O WEBSITE AND EMAIL TRAVEL ADVISORIES; DO THE MATH; DON'T TRY TO SAVE A FEW $$$ (WITH YET ANOTHER FCC) ONLY TO FIND THERE ARE NO CRUISES TO SPEND IT ON.

We are very happy with our cruise fare.  We booked in June and the pricing was much lower than is currently listed.  In fact, I'm sure if the cruise is cancelled that we will not be able to beat the pricing.   

1 hour ago, thunderbird56 said:

It was due on October 29th. Actually that's my TA due date.  They usually want credit card info a week before its due to the cruise line, so probably around Nov. 5th.  

Our final payment date is November 23rd for an April 22nd sailing.  The $250.00 per person penalty starts on October 23rd.  I am assuming that the penalty will still be in place.

27 minutes ago, Jim and Monika said:

Ours is coming up in a few weeks for our February cruise. If our cruise happens after making final payment but has restrictions we don't like...don't believe we should be penalized since the contract changed from when we booked.

Good luck with that argument.

If you are not sure what the cruise will be like (if it even goes) you are better off cancelling IMO.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Jim and Monika said:

Ours is coming up in a few weeks for our February cruise. If our cruise happens after making final payment but has restrictions we don't like...don't believe we should be penalized since the contract changed from when we booked.

I'm always amazed at how few people read the Terms & Conditions of the cruise contract they agreed to when they first placed a deposit:

Itinerary 
All itineraries, including points of embarkation and debarkation, are at the discretion of Oceania Cruises and may be modified up to and during the voyage. Oceania Cruises reserves the right to amend, cancel or make substitutions for any travel component without prior notice to the guest, including hotels, ports of call or other modes of transportation if, in its opinion, the situation requires a change or cancellation of arrangements. Oceania Cruises does not assume responsibility or liability for any loss, inconvenience, or expense incurred by guests as a result of any changes or cancellations as detailed in the Guest Ticket/Contract. When practicable, Oceania Cruises will promptly notify guests or their Travel Agent of a cruise itinerary change.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I have a January cruise in Tahiti with Windstar. I had asked for an extension of final payment to 30 days before the cruise and they agreed. I also have in writing that  if I decide to cancel before final payment or they do that I can get the same sweet deal I have on another Tahiti cruise later in 2021. So if anyone gets disenchanted with Oceania and their policies you might want to give a look at Windstar. 

My next O cruise is not until Aug. 27 so plenty of time to negotiate about final payment terms.

I understand the contract an all. But, if after the penalty phase kicks in, and they add masks must be worn at all times, can only get off the ship if on O excursion, and something like bars will only be open from 7 to 9 pm. I'm not sure those are all covered in the contract when I booked.

34 minutes ago, Jim and Monika said:

I understand the contract an all. But, if after the penalty phase kicks in, and they add masks must be worn at all times, can only get off the ship if on O excursion, and something like bars will only be open from 7 to 9 pm. I'm not sure those are all covered in the contract when I booked.

I would just cancel now  while you have the chance

Things will not be the  same  as pre covid  for  a long time

No one really knows  what will happen & when ships will sail again

JMO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim and Monika said:

It doesn't sound like you understand the T&Cs. The cruise line (and, in particular, the ship's master) can change ANYTHING necessary to ensure the safety [health or otherwise] of the passengers and crew.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The section of the cruise contract noted above is listed under 'Itinerary' if I'm reading it correctly.  A review of the rest of the contract would be needed to determine whether other items related to cruises might be 'at their discretion' I think.  I don't happen to have a recent contract to review, or I would do so.

Donna

2 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

The section of the cruise contract noted above is listed under 'Itinerary' if I'm reading it correctly.  A review of the rest of the contract would be needed to determine whether other items related to cruises might be 'at their discretion' I think.  I don't happen to have a recent contract to review, or I would do so.

Donna

Nice try. 

That section has a key statement: "any travel component." That can easily/rightfully be interpreted to include requirements for dress/decorum (including masks) while onboard.

But, if you need another additional reminder from the T&Cs:

Guest Etiquette and Consideration 
Oceania Cruises, its Masters, General Managers, Chief Pursers or any other deputized figures of authority on board the vessels reserve the right, at their sole discretion, to disembark any guest, in any port of call, for any reason, should they be considered a nuisance to or danger to guests, staff or otherwise hinder the safe and secure operation of the vessel or any associated land programs. Any guest(s) disembarked from the vessels or associated land programs are solely responsible for any costs incurred with repatriation. The full cruise fare will be considered earned and retained and no refunds or reimbursements given. 

Note the words "danger to guests"

If the skipper decides masks are required, you wear a mask.

As regards final payment dates, Oceania could learn something from Windstar. I just moved my. Jan.14 Tahiti cruise to March 4 to give more time to French Polynesia to get things under control. I asked Windstar to keep the same 30 day final payment date for the moved cruise and they readily agreed. This is not an advertised policy for Windstar, I asked and got positive responses.

• Like 1

Just booked using my fcc for August cruise.  At first they asked for a big deposit.  I balked and requested using fcc as the deposit.  Took it to management who approved it.  Later I found an email saying that use the fcc from dollar one and book with no additional money.  It’s covered by the travel policy that we can cancel without penalty and get back fcc.  No money exchanged hands.  If things are safe, we hope to travel.  It’s a no risk dream for now.