The Daily for Sunday Nov 1, 2020

richwmn

today is All Saints Day, International Scented Candle Day, and National Author's Day

The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom.
        -- H. L. Mencken

Meal suggestion for today - Jerk Chicken Tacos

Drink of the Day - Pumpkin Spice Mule

Wine of the day - Daou Cabernet Sauvignon Adelaida District Estate vintage 2014

at Sea Caribbean
Eurodam destination Caracas Bay
Oosterdam destination Sint Eustatius eta 11/7

at Sea English Channel
Nieuw Statendam destination Baie De Seine Fr eta 11/1
Volendam destination Baie De Seine Fr eta 11/1
Westerdam destination Torquah

at sea Mediterranian
Zuiderdam destination Katakolo

Baie De Seine France
Zaandam

Balboa Anchorage
Koningsdam

Caracas Bay
Nieuw Amsterdam

Katakolon Greece Anchorage
Noordam

1101World.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for the Daily, Rich, and a great selection of days.  I love the quote.  Jerk chicken sounds ok but my alternate meal suggestion is a bit weak as well.  I disembarked the Amsterdam November 1 (2017) so my suggestion is a custom cooked Lido Omelet (mine is ham and bacon).  Much better than airline food.

Walking early today before rain sets in and I have a heavy church schedule.  I may not be very regular on the thread until later in the day.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

California and Colorado Wildfires

gigianne’s DH nursing a broken tooth

Sharon’s DGD and those in her school

Turkey’s devastating earthquake

RIP Sir Sean Connery

Europe returning to lockdowns in several countries

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Welcome to the Daily, Cruisemomr42 and shrimpboar123

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

Fall colors

Denise doesn’t want to be on the care list, so this community for caring for her

Lindaler’s sister and BIL coming for a visit.

Sounds like most of us had a successful Haloween

And election workers

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Mickb said:

Nieuw Statendam is still in Torbay.

There seems to be a disconnect between what the ship is reporting to AIS and where they actually are.  All three online vessel tracking services show Nieuw Statendam to be headed for France.

From vesselfinder - The vessel is en route to BAIE DE SEINE FR, sailing at a speed of 0.5 knots and expected to arrive there on Nov 2, 00:00.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the meal and drink of the day suggestion, but I'll have a glass of wine.

We have to adjust to the time change, so it will be a quiet day for us today.

We've got a wind warning and a snow squall watch.   So far, November is not my friend.

Praying for everyone on the Care List.  A round of applause for all those celebrating.

Stay safe.

• Like 11

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Great combo of days! I have been waiting for scented candle day for months - you will understand with my next post.🙃 Roy, you have quite a talent for keeping our lists - thank you!  Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Deeni, I hope you had a more restful night’s sleep! Hope you finish healing quickly & Ditch that Itch! Love you! Joy, I appreciate what you saw in my future. Love you, Sis!

The meal sounds interesting. The drink does not sound like me - at all! Though I have been known to be mulish on occasion.

Prayers for all who need our support - even if they are NOT on the list! Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

I could not find any winemaker’s notes, but this Cab has an average rating of 92 and a price that starts at $22. So a decent option!

#89 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017

WS94

Wine Spectator: Combines rich, deep flavors with a measure of finesse and refinement, allowing the earth-laced red berry and spicy herb notes to shine. Ripe, sturdy tannins lend this structure and traction. Best from 2020 through 2034.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 13

Good morning Rich. Thanks so much for the Daily. I sure enjoy logging on and knowing my friends are here.

First off, my dear sister Denise I hope you are feeling better and were able to sleep last night. Hopefully between the Benadril and the Maker's Mark something kicked in. And you were not whiny. This is your family and we all love one another and we pray for those we love. I remember having an allergic reaction to a med and broke out in hives for 4 or 5 days. So can't imagine the pain and itching you are going through. Hang in there sweet girl. I love you. ❤️💕

So good morning fellow Daily-ites. I hope everyone had a safe night last night. We did not get a trick or treater but my neighbor showed up with an empty wine glass.

Thank you Roy for cares and cheers and thanks for adding Denise to the cheers list. We will pray for and toast everyone on your lists tonight. Ann thanks but no thanks on wine today. Looks like red again. 

I love scented candles. I found a favorite called Vintage Oak. I don't care for a sweet smell, but this is rich and more masculine in scent. 

image.jpeg.5c657e1e2d8c6bf0a236c5c4ac50b4c1.jpeg

For those who observe all Saints Day:

image.jpeg.f5bd2b595e57dd61a5147be65a182093.jpeg

We had a beautiful sunset last night. Our neighbor left his back lights on so couldn't capture a great picture of the moon, but we enjoyed it all the same.

Hope ya'll have a Blessed Sunday. Call a loved one, send a note, text, email.. Stay safe and well. 

• Like 13

Good morning.  Interesting mix of days.  I love the quote and the menu suggestion.

Pumpkin Spice Mule:

• Ingredients

• 2 ounces Pumpkin Pie Vodka
  • 3/4 ounce ginger liquor
  • Ginger beer for topping
  • Fresh mint and star anise for garnish

Instructions

1. Add ice to a copper mug and let it chill.
  2. Pour in the vodka and ginger liquor then stir.
  3. Top with ginger beer and garnish with fresh mint and star anise

Congratulations and Prayers to all on the lists, and the rest of us.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.  Lockdowns seem to be coming again.

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 13

My Halloween was relatively quiet.  I put a table with little baggies of candy in a muffin pan far enough out the door so I could peek out without getting too close:DSCF8446.thumb.JPG.01f31054a8ae3ade32705f3f2108108d.JPG

There was a sign that said knock and stand back if it was empty.  Nobody knocked but I did notice once that the tray was empty, and I only caught one little girl at the table as I peeked out.  I did replenish the the tray periodically and end up with 28 bags being taken.  I normally give out candy in bulk and don't even try to keep count but I think it's usually about 100 kids.

A pretty decent evening.

Roy

• Like 15

The vodka's fragrance is a delicate, fresh-from-the-oven pumpkin pie, subtly marked by spices. It is a surprisingly smooth vodka, sweetened slightly and has a natural pumpkin taste with an invigorating amount of spice. The finish is warming, lasting, and has a slight alcohol taste.

26 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Really Summer? There's a Pumpkin Pie Vodka? 🤢

Pinnacle sells one.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all.  A good grouping of days to celebrate.  The only time we burn candles is in a pumpkin.  We missed this year!  Hopefully next year will be better for trick or treaters - and all of us!  Chicken is on our menu tonight - Bella Braised Chicken, one of our favourite dishes, served with twice baked potatoes.  What a cold, windy and overall dreary day here.  Hopefully tomorrow DH can move from care list.  You would really have to like today’s drink selection to buy a bottle of pumpkin flavoured vodka.  My thanks to Rich and Roy and all the others who contribute.  Have a peaceful Sunday, my best to all.

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

There was a sign that said knock and stand back if it was empty.  Nobody knocked but I did notice once that the tray was empty, and I only caught one little girl at the table as I peeked out.  I did replenish the the tray periodically and end up with 28 bags being taken.  I normally give out candy in bulk and don't even try to keep count but I think it's usually about 100 kids.

A pretty decent evening.

Roy

Wow Roy, you must have one heck of a family neighborhood! Good for you! Any pictures?

• Like 5

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and for our morning smile 🙂 

I really like this collection of days and can’t wait to be back in Spain next year on All Saints Day 🤞  😄 

LOL on that quote.  Love it.

I think I’m going to pass on the meal suggestion.  We will have chicken but not jerk chicken 😉  Same for the drink.  I realize it’s the time of the year but pumpkin vodka?

Deeni, I hope you are feeling better today 🤞 

We had a table out on our driveway too with bagged goodies but not a lot of children.  I’ll check today to see if my neighbours children and grandchildren came over and gift them some additional goodies.

My dogs were VERY good boys yesterday.  The back yard is where they go to play and do their “business”.  It was off limits to them once our carpenter came to finish the deck.  They had to go for mini walks and out front all day.  Not a complaint out of either of them.  

The deck was the first thing we did when we bought this house and it is now getting old.  A LOT of boards were replaced for safety’s sake.  I couldn’t stain this year as we replaced some last year and it looks like we are doomed again next year.  I’ll have to talk to my carpenter and see when it is safe to stain the new boards.  

0ECF1441-5987-48B6-ABE4-4DCAE56BECFC.thumb.jpeg.86d42c13a463a7fef88311709f27cf8f.jpeg

5B440771-30F0-43D8-9B04-C0D03D136079.thumb.jpeg.0bffde22fecd04eff0c9b794ee0cf938.jpeg

1CD928EB-BCB0-4827-A85F-192E0B543A22.thumb.jpeg.64c48a9bec2a7e7d8fb41b2c293f4196.jpeg

C44412EA-4A65-4C36-877B-1A6B8E664018.thumb.jpeg.8a760f12cb4473443687af44d9067ed4.jpeg

The dogs sure were happy when the door opened and they could go out on the deck again 😉 

1BDCF7E6-E5E9-407C-A099-1121282E3C5B.thumb.jpeg.2678af50b5ad23556a7fe2e660c9b1e4.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list and for anyone who needs them and a toast to those on the Celebratory list.

Have a great Sunday everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks.😷 

• Like 15

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  A great combination of days; let's light a scented candle to honour the Saints and Authors.  For those who don't like scented candles, light an unscented one.

I hope everyone had a safe Halloween.  We put bags of chips on a cookie sheet about 10 ft from our front door and turned on our video cameras.  Whenever it chirped, we knew someone was there and looked out.  The kids were pretty good about only taking 1, but one bigger guy came along and grabbed 4.  I told DH maybe he was taking some for his siblings . . . .   A little later in the evening we had a few big kids come by that we knew were from the inner city, so when we saw them on the camera, we opened the door and told them to take extra, as we had lots.  They were pretty happy with that; kindness doesn't cost much.

I like today's menu suggestion, but DH doesn't care for jerk chicken, so I'll have to see what I come up with in the sustenance department.  Whatever it is, it'll be coated with potato chips, as we bought way too many to hand out!  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  We'll raise the wine glasses tonight to toast all on the celebration list (whether they want to be there or not  LOL).  Stay well, be safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 12

15 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Wow Roy, you must have one heck of a family neighborhood! Good for you! Any pictures?

The Cruise Critic photo gremlin must be surfacing again.  Does this work?

DSCF8446.thumb.JPG.01f31054a8ae3ade32705

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 5