Final Payment Date Change

RedHeadTexan

HAL sent me a notification on my February 13, 2021 Nieuw Amsterdam cruise on our final payment date.  Final payment is now due 60 days out instead of 90 days:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

In order to provide more flexibility as you plan for your voyage, we have adjusted the final payment terms on this booking.  Final payment will now be due 60 days before your sail date, rather than 90 days before your sail date.  Please refer to your booking confirmation for your cancellation fee schedule, which has not changed.

We look forward to welcoming you on board your next Holland America Line cruise.

I got the email this morning about out 11 day cruise on 1/13/21 that our final payment date was extended to 11/14/20. We hadn't paid the final payment yet due to the uncertainty... Still don't know what to do as I really don't think cruises will begin yet and don't want our money tied up... 

1 minute ago, cwd79 said:

I got the email this morning about out 11 day cruise on 1/13/21 that our final payment date was extended to 11/14/20. We hadn't paid the final payment yet due to the uncertainty... Still don't know what to do as I really don't think cruises will begin yet and don't want our money tied up... 

The CDC says no longer than 7 day cruises at this point so 11 day in January will not be going as scheduled. I suppose they could try to shorten to 7 day, but even that would be questionable in January since they are going to be starting with 3 and 4 day.

23 minutes ago, vswan said:

The CDC says no longer than 7 day cruises at this point so 11 day in January will not be going as scheduled. I suppose they could try to shorten to 7 day, but even that would be questionable in January since they are going to be starting with 3 and 4 day.

Oh i didn't know about the cruise length change as well. Thanks for filling me in. I wonder when Holland America will cancel our cruise or at least tell us if it's going to be shortened? Hopefully before final payment date, but would not surprise me if they didn't. 

9 minutes ago, rhblake said:

It sounds like the final payment date is now 60 days but the final date for cancelling without penalty is still 90 days.

I'm in the same boat as cdw79. I have a 10 day cruise out in February which will not be going per CDC guidelines. Glad they extended the final payment date, but have talked to my PCC about canceling and she told me just to hang on until final payment. If they cancel I would get all of my non-refundable deposit back and the insurance cost. If I cancel I would have to go the insurance route for 90% reimbursement. Question. What is the penalty at 90 days. Just wondering if it would still make sense for me to cancel sooner rather than later - not sure it makes much difference with a non-refundable deposit.

20 hours ago, vswan said:

Question. What is the penalty at 90 days. Just wondering if it would still make sense for me to cancel sooner rather than later - not sure it makes much difference with a non-refundable deposit.

The penalty starts at 75 days, not 90.  I’m not sure it would make sense for you to cancel with a non refundable deposit.  It’s normally the deposit that is forfeited at that time IIRC. If you check page 4 of your HAL confirmation the dates and penalties are specified there for your cruise.

We just got the notification for our cruise in April - but as it was a "free" cruise, I'm not sure what is going on.  Maybe the email was just sent to everyone, regardless.  We haven't had it for our October cruise, though.  And we haven't had any message from Cunard, either.  So maybe it is just HAL, and just the cruises early in the year.