90% effective vaccine EVEN without booster shot...

59 minutes ago, broberts said:

Has there been any word on the status of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine?

Health Canada and EMA are evaluating their data now, FDA shortly after first of year. The hope is to begin distribution of the single dose vaccine by February. The J&J candidate requires no special handling or storage than many other medications currently distributed. 

30 minutes ago, molly361 said:

So if getting this vaccine out is so important why is it that the FDA isn't meeting until next week?

It’s not simply a meeting of two or three people in a back room to make the decision....

https://www.fda.gov/advisory-committees/advisory-committee-calendar/vaccines-and-related-biological-products-advisory-committee-december-10-2020-meeting-announcement

2 hours ago, broberts said:

The members probably need a bit of time to process and analyze the raw data.

Which can be quite a daunting task. While I haven't had to deal with FDA submissions for decades, the amount of data being analyzed (if it were still in paper form) would fill a tractor trailer. Every data point will be examined by the committee before that meeting takes place.

As for the U.K., not sure how they were able to approve a vaccine independent of the EMA, since they aren't scheduled to exit the EEU until next month and the EMA is still their regulatory gatekeeper until that happens. My best guess is that they made the announcement to take the heat off of the bungled Oxford/AZ vaccine trials, since their Health Secretary Matt Hancock stated that they are a week or more out from actually starting giving jabs. By then, both the FDA and EMA will have their respective review committee's recommendations in hand and Pfizer will begin shipping vaccines once that happens.

4 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Of those 10,000 firearms incidents you speak of only 33 dead. I think a lot of those are armed robberies with guns not just shootings but if they are shootings it is a fatality rate of less than .1%

Let’s talk about the UK. Our friend Graham on CC was positive/sick COVID19. His dear wife was not sick and as a result, testing wasn’t permitted by NHS. Why is that?  Everyone here (US) can get tested with or without symptoms.

@grapau27

M8

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, molly361 said:

So if getting this vaccine out is so important why is it that the FDA isn't meeting until next week?

I hear someone from cdc speaking who said they wouldn't confirm they are meeting dec 10th.

They also said approval will take weeks, not days. Sounds like its political and they want to not give current president credit, idk, just see no other plausible reason to delay approval other than playing politics. Not for american people benefit for sure. It's a game to them. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Let’s talk about the UK. Our friend Graham on CC was positive/sick COVID19. His dear wife was not sick and as a result, testing wasn’t permitted by NHS. Why is that?  Everyone here (US) can get tested with or without symptoms.

@grapau27

M8

A one word answer for you. Pass. Perhaps Graham can offer a better answer. Perhaps they simply did not have the testing capacity in his area?.  Or maybe NHS is trying to limit the count of the infection numbers for some reason. She has probably had it and was asymptomatic if there is no natural immunity to this thing. I don't know how you work your death toll in USA but here it is deaths within 28 days of a positive test for ANY REASON at all. Make of that what you will. I don't think this is being correctly tracked at all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I hear someone from cdc speaking who said they wouldn't confirm they are meeting dec 10th.

They also said approval will take weeks, not days. Sounds like its political and they want to not give current president credit, idk, just see no other plausible reason to delay approval other than playing politics. Not for american people benefit for sure. It's a game to them. 

In the private sector, teams work 24/7 on high priority events and initiatives like this, and you get paid to make it happen...or you don't have a job when the dust settles.

3 minutes ago, Tippyton said:

In the private sector, teams work 24/7 on high priority events and initiatives like this, and you get paid to make it happen...or you don't have a job when the dust settles.

I wish cdc would have a fire built under them. Dont care what it costs. Give up your tee time, get busy looking at the data now. As a tax payer I'm willing to pay the overtime. Just get it done. 

Though I do have one question. Did I hear USA and UK both bought 40m doses? I was thinking wow, what's wrong with us, we didnt even buy enough to cover health workers? 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

like its political and they want to not give current president credit, idk, just see no other plausible reason to delay approval other than playing politics. Not for american people benefit for sure. It's a game to them. 

Roughly 50% of those involved support one party, 50% the other.  These folks are not political to begin with.  Just another conspiracy theory.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yogimax said:

Roughly 50% of those involved support one party, 50% the other.  These folks are not political to begin with.  Just another conspiracy theory.

Lol well I'm critical of both parties for not pushing this vaccine show to get on the road. Everyone entitled fo their opinion without being accused of conspiracy theories. Why didnt they buy enough doses to do all health workers asap. I want them to start working on approval 24/7.

True I dont trust politicians on both sides unfortunately.  Call me old, but seems to be getting worse. Both sides playing games. If that's what you call a conspiracy theory, I call it a fact.

• Like 3

I wish cdc would have a fire built under them. Dont care what it costs. Give up your tee time, get busy looking at the data now. As a tax payer I'm willing to pay the overtime. Just get it done. 

Though I do have one question. Did I hear USA and UK both bought 40m doses? I was thinking wow, what's wrong with us, we didnt even buy enough to cover health workers? 

There is a huge amount of raw data to go over, verify and digest. Not only does that take time to do physically, it also requires time to integrate and ponder. A mistake at this stage can have catastrophic consequences. I seriously doubt that the committee members are unduly delaying the process.

Think about the 737 Max, a prime example of an agency ignoring tried and true safety process.

If people really didn't care what it costs there would be many more doses available.

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

...  Everyone here (US) can get tested with or without symptoms.

@grapau27

M8

In theory only. Lots of examples of day long lineups and results taking a week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

A one word answer for you. Pass. Perhaps Graham can offer a better answer. Perhaps they simply did not have the testing capacity in his area?.  Or maybe NHS is trying to limit the count of the infection numbers for some reason. She has probably had it and was asymptomatic if there is no natural immunity to this thing. I don't know how you work your death toll in USA but here it is deaths within 28 days of a positive test for ANY REASON at all. Make of that what you will. I don't think this is being correctly tracked at all.

They had the testing capacity at Sunderland England.

Pauline rang at 8am and I got an appointment for 10am at the centre 800 metres as the crow flies from home.

I got the positive result by text and email 7.30am next morning 21 hours after leaving the test site.

Pauline had no symptoms so wasn't offered a test.

She had no symptoms and we were sleeping in the same bed and she looked after me while I spent 21 days in bed.

Test and trace contacted Pauline to isolate for 14 days.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

Lol well I'm critical of both parties for not pushing this vaccine show to get on the road. Everyone entitled fo their opinion without being accused of conspiracy theories. Why didnt they buy enough doses to do all health workers asap. I want them to start working on approval 24/7.

True I dont trust politicians on both sides unfortunately.  Call me old, but seems to be getting worse. Both sides playing games. If that's what you call a conspiracy theory, I call it a fact.

The US government (and I assume most others) pre purchased massive amounts of multiple vaccine candidates.  Without benefit of a crystal ball, and knowing who got authorization first, one would need to hedge their bets.  As each subsequent candidate gains approval, the numbers of available doses pre purchased and in the pipeline will grow rapidly. Manufacturing will be happening at as brisk of a pace as safely possible for some time to come.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The US government (and I assume most others) pre purchased massive amounts of multiple vaccine candidates.  Without benefit of a crystal ball, and knowing who got authorization first, one would need to hedge their bets.  As each subsequent candidate gains approval, the numbers of available doses pre purchased and in the pipeline will grow rapidly. Manufacturing will be happening at as brisk of a pace as safely possible for some time to come.

The vaccine going to the UK next week was produced in Germany and Belgium.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broberts said:

In theory only. Lots of examples of day long lineups and results taking a week

You’re in CAD. Have you personally witnessed this?  Testing every morning/day here.  We don’t see it here. Maybe in the big cities but you can just fall back on their local governments who say do as I say and not as I do. 

M8