Help, I’m Totally Confused

kitty9

Reading everything about the CDC rules for when cruising resumes, and I’m confused as to why Oceania is still selling cruises of 10 days or more in early 2021, when the rules state that no cruise can be longer than 7 days. We are booked on Riviera for a 22 day cruise in February, 2021, but we haven’t heard anything as to how this cruise is still happening and why it’s still open for reservations.  I know we won’t be taking this cruise because I’m immuno-compromised, but should we cancel now or wait until O makes a decision?  We already have a 5 figure FCC for cancelled cruises in March, 2020, and final payment is coming up at the end of the month, but we don’t want to get caught up in another refund fight.  Is it better to cancel now or wait until O cancels?  

40 minutes ago, kitty9 said:

Reading everything about the CDC rules for when cruising resumes, and I’m confused as to why Oceania is still selling cruises of 10 days or more in early 2021, when the rules state that no cruise can be longer than 7 days. We are booked on Riviera for a 22 day cruise in February, 2021, but we haven’t heard anything as to how this cruise is still happening and why it’s still open for reservations.  I know we won’t be taking this cruise because I’m immuno-compromised, but should we cancel now or wait until O makes a decision?  We already have a 5 figure FCC for cancelled cruises in March, 2020, and final payment is coming up at the end of the month, but we don’t want to get caught up in another refund fight.  Is it better to cancel now or wait until O cancels?  

Keep reading.

The current CDC restart certification rules default is short cruises. But, a cruise line can apply for approval of longer cruises.

Of course, they first have to be evaluated for performance in the required test cruises.

If you've been following the restart discussions here on CC or regularly check the travel advisories on the O website, you'd know that O has been using once monthly updates on cruise cancellations. This allows maximum flexibility for restart (should rules in the US or elsewhere change again) and in handling refunds in an orderly fashion.

As for cancel now or wait until O does it? That's a personal decision. But, you should read the info on the O web home page link to the Travelers Assurance Program. It's very clear about the options.

It is unlikely at this rate Covid  cases  there will be any cruises in Feb from the USA

If they do sail what Countries are going to be willing to accept them

I would rebook for later in 2021 or 2022

JMO

9 hours ago, LHT28 said:

It is unlikely at this rate Covid  cases  there will be any cruises in Feb from the USA

If they do sail what Countries are going to be willing to accept them

I would rebook for later in 2021 or 2022

JMO

Agree +++

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GICNJC said:

The 7 day rule only applies if the ship starts, has a port stop, or ends in the USA.

So far all Riviera  cruises  start in Miami up to the end of March

So far no 7 days cruises listed   

You might think that Oceania would let you know the status of your cruise before you pay them more money.  Since they are not sailing, I would call them and ask their intentions.  I am sure that they would like to sail. After all, sailing means revenue.  With the sharp increase in new covid cases, I'd stay home.  I know that you would like to cruise again. Please wait until safe.  No fun being on a ship worrying about getting sick.

7 hours ago, Redtravel said:

You might think that Oceania would let you know the status of your cruise before you pay them more money.  Since they are not sailing, I would call them and ask their intentions.  I am sure that they would like to sail. After all, sailing means revenue.  With the sharp increase in new covid cases, I'd stay home.  I know that you would like to cruise again. Please wait until safe.  No fun being on a ship worrying about getting sick.

I’ve been working with my TA on this, and he’s been working with Oceania.  The suggestion is to cancel the Feb. 2021 cruise and put the down payment from that cruise onto our May 2022 Med cruise.  So, that’s what we decided to do.  But still, O will not say anything about what their plans are.  

23 minutes ago, kitty9 said:

.  But still, O will not say anything about what their plans are.  

Maybe the cruise lines  do not know what their plans will be   with the Covid virus  still spreading at a rapid rate   & CDC not giving  the go ahead for any plans  the lines have made to keep pax & crew safe

• Like 1

It would appear to me from the article that someone posted with FDR talking that I really wouldn't plan on any Oceania cruises until at least Sept or Oct. Maybe a little before. 

From that article;

"Though things are 'still very fuzzy, very fluid,' he estimated it may take six to nine months until the full NCLH fleet will be on the water. So 2021 will be a 'transition year' on the 'road to normalization' in 2022 and '2023 forward is normalization.'"

Edited by ORV
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

It would appear to me from the article that someone posted with FDR talking that I really wouldn't plan on any Oceania cruises until at least Sept or Oct. Maybe a little before. 

From that article;

"Though things are 'still very fuzzy, very fluid,' he estimated it may take six to nine months until the full NCLH fleet will be on the water. So 2021 will be a 'transition year' on the 'road to normalization' in 2022 and '2023 forward is normalization.'"

If this holds true there goes Europe 2021 and there goes a postponed Aug. 29, 2021 Baltic cruise on Marina. The O ships currently in Genoa, Marina Riviera and Nautica would just stay docked until the fall and then sail across the Atlantic to cruise the Caribbean in the winter 2021.

2 hours ago, ORV said:

From that article;

I have a 7 day Bermuda cruise booked on Insignia in July 2021.  I remain optimistic that we will sail.  From the quote above, FDR 'estimates' six to 9 months for the FULL fleet to resume operations.  It looks like they'll probably do some slower startups.

BTW when was the article where FDR said six to nine months posted?

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

I have a 7 day Bermuda cruise booked on Insignia in July 2021.  I remain optimistic that we will sail.  From the quote above, FDR 'estimates' six to 9 months for the FULL fleet to resume operations.  It looks like they'll probably do some slower startups.

Look for Cruise Critic’s article from Sunday. It came to me as an email. Should be able to find it on their website. At the bottom Of the topics is one entitled NCL discusses test cruises and restart. Read the entire article. FDR is fairly straightforward on several items.

I believe the top story is about protocols  CC believes will remain and which ones will be temporary after the vaccine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Looks like it was written Nov 10th, here you go, it's from the thread at the top of the page. 

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/ship-operations/nclh-test-cruises-could-start-early-january-full-fleet-ramp-may-take-6-9-months

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ORV said:

Looks like it was written Nov 10th, here you go, it's from the thread at the top of the page. 

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/ship-operations/nclh-test-cruises-could-start-early-january-full-fleet-ramp-may-take-6-9-months

So, if he's estimating six to nine months for a full resumption of operations, that would mean somewhere between May and August of next year.  And that's an estimate for full resumption, not beginning a phased in resumption.

That doesn't sound too bad.  I believe the estimates for full availability of the vaccine is by June.  That should be a big help in loosening the CDC requirements for acquiring certificates to sail.

• Like 1

The cruise critic article I referenced went even farther. FDR gave an example that if a vessel was approved for restart on September 1, but if that vessel was scheduled for Alaska, they wouldn’t send it to Alaska for one month. NCL would wait and send it to it’s next scheduled location ( Miami was used) for restart that might not be until 10/15. They have to do what’s operationally rational.