New vaccine

hollyjess

44 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Hardly surprising when you consider they are administering a compound being kept at minus 70. I can only imagine how cold it will feel when it gets injected into your arm.

The vaccine has to defrost first in a fridge.

I was told it can last between 1 and 5 days when defrosted.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

If the vaccine works as expected your immune system will make antibodies and T cells which will kill the infected cell, typically most people will not transmit the virus, however you can still be a carrier and spread a virus as you can spread it by touch. The virus will diminish over time as more people have the required protection.

A good explanation to an extent, but don't the antibodies and T cells, link onto the virus particles before they infect any of the cells in the body?

Edited by tring

11 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Yep, we were jab and go too.. 

Was not in there for more than 2 minutes. 

Andy 

As a nurse i always got mine locally in the hospital.  It used to be you had to wait 5 minutes just to make sure you didn't have an anaphylaxic reaction to the eggs.  They stopped that years ago.

4 minutes ago, tring said:

A good explanation to an extent, but don't the antibodies and T cells, link onto the virus particles before they infect any of the cells in the body?

No one really knows.  There was never really much interest (and hence research money) into this question before.

There's some super old data that suggest you may be able to get asymptomatic infections after vaccinated.  But it is unclear how it works or if how transmissible if at all the disease is if it happens.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

As a nurse i always got mine locally in the hospital.  It used to be you had to wait 5 minutes just to make sure you didn't have an anaphylaxic reaction to the eggs.  They stopped that years ago.

Ours was a proper conveyor belt in the reception of our GP surgery... 

Very efficient but no waiting time, just instructions to call 111 if you had a reaction. 

Andy 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I doubt they'll be requiring vaccination to be done by Nurse Practitioners.  Not if this is anything to go by, and indicative pay of £10.09 - £11.19 per hour.

Covid-19 Vaccination Programme Vaccinator

https://vaccine-jobs.nhsp.uk/vaccinator.html

I was thinking it was more likely that a GP or nurse practitioner would need to be around to oversee the vaccination procedures, though could perhaps also be administering vaccine themselves if easily available if a problem encountered.  The media do have a habit of getting things wrong at times.

Edited by tring

18 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I doubt they'll be requiring vaccination to be done by Nurse Practitioners.  Not if this is anything to go by, and indicative pay of £10.09 - £11.19 per hour.

Covid-19 Vaccination Programme Vaccinator

https://vaccine-jobs.nhsp.uk/vaccinator.html

They're even inviting the people who volunteered as NHS responders if they want to be trained as vaccinators. I had the email last week. So I don't think it needs anyone with a particular qualification. 

Edited by cruisenewbie1976
Typo
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, tring said:

Yes and no. It depends on the type of vaccine. This is a complicated process and different vaccines are engineered to work in different ways. For covid an ideal vaccine would would destroy the protein coating on the virus particle effectively destroying it before it entered the host. However that is not easy as covid viruses are RNA based not DNA which makes it easier for them to mutate. The current vaccine is mRNA based whereas the Oxford vaccine is a weakened adenovirus and works differently. I could waffle all day on this subject, but it is difficult to explain in terms that would be understandable to all. If you are really interested you would need to seek out good quality information. Initially decide whether you think a virus is actually a living organism as even a lot of eminent experts cannot agree.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Yes and no. It depends on the type of vaccine. This is a complicated process and different vaccines are engineered to work in different ways. For covid an ideal vaccine would would destroy the protein coating on the virus particle effectively destroying it before it entered the host. However that is not easy as covid viruses are RNA based not DNA which makes it easier for them to mutate. The current vaccine is mRNA based whereas the Oxford vaccine is a weakened adenovirus and works differently. I could waffle all day on this subject, but it is difficult to explain in terms that would be understandable to all. If you are really interested you would need to seek out good quality information. Initially decide whether you think a virus is actually a living organism as even a lot of eminent experts cannot agree.

I found this a helpful explanation for us mere mortals who unlike you ,we have no experience 

in vaccine work . They go on to say it could in time be stored at much higher temperatures

eventually once they know it can remain stable .

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/11/17/935563377/why-does-pfizers-covid-19-vaccine-need-to-be-kept-colder-than-antarctica?t=1607371049649  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

I found this a helpful explanation for us mere mortals who unlike you ,we have no experience 

in vaccine work . They go on to say it could in time be stored at much higher temperatures

eventually once they know it can remain stable .

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/11/17/935563377/why-does-pfizers-covid-19-vaccine-need-to-be-kept-colder-than-antarctica?t=1607371049649  

Again it depends on the vaccine and its active ingredient. One of the issues with with bringing a product to market so quickly is that a lot of stability data will be outstanding. Believe it or not a lot of pharma products are kept in the freezer purely and simply because the developing chemists put them in the freezer during development. This becomes custom and practice and gets written into the drug master file for the product. Getting that changed is a mammoth regulatory task and extremely costly. I am sure the current manufacturers will be running extended elevated temperature stability trials on their products. We certainly didn't have products that needed storage at -70 to -80 but lots that needed storage at -20+/- 5oC. I do wonder if the minus 70 comes from the product being stored in dry ice during development, as this is a reasonably cheap and easy way to ship and store small quantities of product.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dinglebert said:

I had my flu jab today. They asked if I was allergic to eggs, but after that it was jab and go 

15 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

It must be Boots policy still, I had mine done in Boots.

Mine was done in Boots today, and I didn’t have to wait. But they did ask if I was allergic to eggs. Perhaps it depends on the pharmacist administering the vaccine 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Dave or some of the other locals on here may know better, but as far as I'm aware there hasn't been much intensive testing yet.

As far as I can make out, they’ve set up testing centres run by the military in Chattenden,Rochester and in Rainham, down at the Oasthouse Theatre. People from areas with high incidence are being invited for tests..... but it’s not clear how they are selected, or even how they are invited. 

I’m half expecting the army to knock on my door and haul me in for testing!😱

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

As far as I can make out, they’ve set up testing centres run by the military in Chattenden,Rochester and in Rainham, down at the Oasthouse Theatre. People from areas with high incidence are being invited for tests..... but it’s not clear how they are selected, or even how they are invited. 

I’m half expecting the army to knock on my door and haul me in for testing!😱

Ah ok.

I haven't heard of anyone that I know, without symptoms,  being invited for testing so wasn't sure if testing had actually ramped up. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Mine was done in Boots today, and I didn’t have to wait. But they did ask if I was allergic to eggs. Perhaps it depends on the pharmacist administering the vaccine 

Sounds like you might have had a different pharmacist. My husband had his done there a few weeks ago, had the same lady as me, and he had to wait around too. Mind you she was the one who was going to charge me 🙄

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Ah ok.

I haven't heard of anyone that I know, without symptoms,  being invited for testing so wasn't sure if testing had actually ramped up. 

When Pauline phoned 119 for my covid19 test she asked if she could have a test too because I had covid19 symptoms for 5 days but they said no unless she had symptoms too.

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

I have never been monitored over the flu vaccine and neither has my 82 year old father to knowledge. I have just had my jab and walked out of the room after it was done. I was not asked to wait for any period of time.

Same here, in and out of the doctors in less than a minute

• Like 1