New vaccine

hollyjess

Just a thought - I assume we are all of the opinion that the crew will have to be vaccinated prior to cruises resuming. Given that the vaccine will be in short supply for quite a few months,  with governments pre-ordering millions of doses, how will cruise lines " jump the queue" and acquire vaccines for their staff?

The negative publicity  that would arise if it were discovered that P&O (say), had been able to immunise their crew whilst millions of Brits were still awaiting vaccination,  would be horrendous. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Just a thought - I assume we are all of the opinion that the crew will have to be vaccinated prior to cruises resuming. Given that the vaccine will be in short supply for quite a few months,  with governments pre-ordering millions of doses, how will cruise lines " jump the queue" and acquire vaccines for their staff?

The negative publicity  that would arise if it were discovered that P&O (say), had been able to immunise their crew whilst millions of Brits were still awaiting vaccination,  would be horrendous. 

I asked a similar question on another thread. Unfortunately I see crew vaccination as yet another major stumbling point to the resumption of cruises. Perhaps, given the amount of money that they tend to send back to their families in their home countries, they might be deemed ‘essential workers’ and be able to jump the queue in their home countries in a way that wouldn’t be allowed here?

1 hour ago, dorsetlad said:

There is an awful lot of speculation and guesswork on this post, when the truth is that nobody really knows, and it just serves to confuse people. Why not just wait and see. Prepares for incoming.

because it will get boring on here and after all we are all entitled to our opinion.😉

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 2

I don’t watch breakfast TV but this is a report of an interview this morning. Whilst the general outlook is undoubtedly much, much better than say 2 months ago, I personally don’t think cruising will be on my agenda for a while.  I see Janny has posted asking about winter 22/23.  I think I might have tentative warm thoughts for January 23.  

Here’s the report

Dr David Nabarro, WHO special envoy for the global COVID-19 response, told Kay Burley that despite the vaccine news, we're going to have to carry on taking precautions for a while yet.

He said: "In my view we have to go on treating this virus with respect.

"This will mean face masks and physical distancing otherwise the virus does keep on surging.

"The reality is it will be some months before we can dispense with these precautions."

Quizzed on when we can expect things to 'go back to normal', Dr Nabarro was cautious.

He said: "I hate making predictions, but let's just consider it in the big picture.

"None of us will be safe until the whole world is safe.

"Big patches of normality are coming up soon, but not everyone will be vaccinated for at least a couple of years. 

"So normal life as we know it is a couple of years away for the world."

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Unfortunately money talks and those with zillions of quids will find a way 😠

• Like 2

You might find this informative, or not 😉

UK POPULATION BY AGE 2019

MILLIONS BY AGE GROUP AND CUMULATIVE
AGE        AGE       NUMBER    
90+       0.61    0.61
85-89    1.04    1.65
80-84    1.72    3.37
75-79    2.33    5.70
70-74    3.32    9.02
65-69    3.37    12.39
60-64    3.76    16.15
55-59    4.41    20.56    
50-54    4.66    25.22
45-49    4.40    29.62
40-44    4.02    33.64
35-39    4.40    38.04
30-34    4.50    42.51
25-29    4.51    47.05
20-24    4.15    51.20
15-19    3.66    54.86
10-14    3.95    58.81
5-9        4.15     62.96
0-4        3.86     66.82

TOTAL  66.82

Source - Statistica 2020

I am 69 and 70 in March so 🤞🤞🤞

Factette -  I checked the life expectancy for a 70 year old man and it is 86, it surprised me 🤔

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Unfortunately money talks and those with zillions of quids will find a way 😠

Certainly does. Our government announced last week that ‘high value travellers’ are now exempt from quarantine rules.

Nice piece in today’s Times pointing out that the virus is obviously repelled by diamonds, expensive perfumes and wealth.

Good to know that.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Thinking about it , I agree with you. If the vaccine is not 100% effective, there is no point, we have wasted all this money, life will just need to go one as it is until there is nobody left. We are all doomed.☠️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

I am in no way anti-vaxxing.  Everyone should have the vaccine. But, at present no one can say if transmission will be reduced by mass vaccination, and it is disingenuous to pretend otherwise. 

The worst case scenario is that we will all get an annual CV19 jab along with our normal flu jab. No problem with that, but I still don't see holidays abroad happening soon.

I agree with your general argument, but the last sentence? Really? Didn’t you go abroad a few weeks ago??!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Thinking about it , I agree with you. If the vaccine is not 100% effective, there is no point, we have wasted all this money, life will just need to go one as it is until there is nobody left. We are all doomed.☠️

Nobody’s actually suggesting that. The discussion related specifically to the return of cruising as we knew it.

Cruising presents entirely different circumstances and risks, compared with staying in the UK.

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

because it will get boring on here and after all we are all entitled to our opinion.😉

It's interesting to watch folks views change over the weeks, from I won't get vaccinated , to how soon will they jab me?. I'm never going to cruise with P&O again, never to Can I use my FCC for 2021. When they change their mind, well that's what reasonable people do as events develop, but if officialdom changes its because they are doing a U turn and it's all the fault of Specsavers. Nincompoopery is a one-sided coin.🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So with the situation as discussed here as I see it, we may be able to go on a cruise if everyone protected, bearing in mind that even the 5% who unfortunately do get it are reported to not become seriously ill.  The difference to the old days is that we cannot expect to go off the ship independently.  Tours can be restricted to certain locations with any contaminated areas cleaned afterwards, perhaps with a sprayer, or they could be taken to remote areas on a walk, coach tour or small boat trip.  Sound a bit familiar - we could not say we have not been warned.

Interesting post by molecrochip recently speculated that the home countries of the crew may be prepared to sell some vaccine to Carnival, considering how much they appreciate Carnival's cash.  As said here the crew would then be well able to bring money into their country, which is I suggest a big plus for India and vaccine is being manufactured there.  Hence crew could be vaccinated before leaving home, but would be a while yet and needs a few weeks for both jabs and the time for it to produce the response.  Hence not likely to happen in the next two months or so.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Nobody’s actually suggesting that. The discussion related specifically to the return of cruising as we knew it.

Cruising presents entirely different circumstances and risks, compared with staying in the UK.

Exactly! It does make me smile when the comment that if you don’t want to go on a cruise until you deem it safe (or enjoyable) to do so means that the alternative is to lock yourself up at home. Perhaps we are odd, but cruising is just one type of holiday that we enjoy and we have had many other types of holiday, including within the U.K., that we have enjoyed every bit as much as our cruises - and sometimes more so. We thoroughly enjoyed a U.K. holiday in October and have three more booked for next year. No locking ourselves up here - in spite of having no future cruises booked - other than the ruddy tier 3 thing which I hope will be lifted in 12 days time!

• Like 3

Truth is they do not know if any of these Vaccines will stop transmission, same as they dont know if it will affect pregnant women or be a risk to transplant patients.

To be expected i suppose seeing as it has obviously been rushed through testing simply not enough time to be sure of anything.

And people are apparently falling over each other in the rush to have it.

Edited by Chrisdriving

4 minutes ago, Chrisdriving said:

Truth is they do not know if any of these Vaccines will stop transmission, same as they dont know if it will affect pregnant women or be a risk to transplant patients.

To be expected i suppose seeing as it has obviously been rushed through testing simply not enough time to be sure of anything.

Keep that needle away from me 👍

Good luck,  you may need it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Luck is always handy for sure👍

Covid does not scare me one bit and neither does it bother the majority of people i know or work with.

In the future if i feel i need the Flu jab or any other type of Jab i would have it.

The UK has spent enough money recently, i am sure otherwise healthy individuals  can save them money by saving the vaccine for those that feel they need it which i think is fine.

What does worry me however is the way some people frown upon the ones who do not want a covid jab which of course is their total right to do so.

Edited by Chrisdriving
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chrisdriving said:

Covid does not scare me one bit and neither does it bother the majority of people i know or work with.

It amazes me that people like you can dismiss this disease as trivial with thousands dying and hospitals on overload. By all means don't have the vaccine but to say you and your acquaintances aren't bothered is mindblowing and uncaring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Chrisdriving said:

In the future if i feel i need the Flu jab or any other type of Jab i would have it.

The UK has spent enough money recently, i am sure otherwise healthy individuals  can save them money by saving the vaccine for those that feel they need it which i think is fine.

A surprising attitude but, sadly, not an isolated viewpoint. I suspect that you are young and in good health, so would be unlikely to succumb to this killer virus, but our daughters are both in their 20’s and are scrupulous about taking every measure possible. They know that the virus would barely affect them (they might not even know if they get it - although one is tested weekly due to her job) but they are paranoid about passing it on to us or their grandma, as they couldn’t live with themselves if they passed it on to any of us and the worst happens. We think that we are pretty sensible ourselves, but are regularly told off by them for taking what they consider to be too many risks (pub lunches etc, when we could). I’m very proud that we have managed to bring up two very sensible young adults. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

You might find this informative, or not 😉

UK POPULATION BY AGE 2019

MILLIONS BY AGE GROUP AND CUMULATIVE
AGE        AGE       NUMBER    
90+       0.61    0.61
85-89    1.04    1.65
80-84    1.72    3.37
75-79    2.33    5.70
70-74    3.32    9.02
65-69    3.37    12.39
60-64    3.76    16.15
55-59    4.41    20.56    
50-54    4.66    25.22
45-49    4.40    29.62
40-44    4.02    33.64
35-39    4.40    38.04
30-34    4.50    42.51
25-29    4.51    47.05
20-24    4.15    51.20
15-19    3.66    54.86
10-14    3.95    58.81
5-9        4.15     62.96
0-4        3.86     66.82

TOTAL  66.82

Source - Statistica 2020

I am 69 and 70 in March so 🤞🤞🤞

Factette -  I checked the life expectancy for a 70 year old man and it is 86, it surprised me 🤔

Looking at a government website, it would add up to about 60 million people above 70, whilst this data gives 9.02 million, so quite a discrepancy.  I feel inclined to believe the government site, but do you have some further information about how your figures were determined?

47 minutes ago, Chrisdriving said:

What does worry me however is the way some people frown upon the ones who do not want a covid jab which of course is their total right to do so.

All I can say is Pray you don't catch covid19.

I spent 3 weeks in bed at home with Covid19 and I was lucky I didn't need to go into hospital.

Graham.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Chrisdriving said:

I did a straw poll with my golf mates at the weekend. All eight of them said they would only bother with the vaccine if it was a requirement to travel aboard.

The age range of the guys was 25 through to 61, including a 59 year old who tested positive but had no symptoms whatsoever.

They are not anti vaxxers, and are happy to follow the guidance and take the necessary precautions.

Sorry if this is upsetting to some people.